HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:39 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,861 Posts
What esc, and where was it mounted? Im rebuilding habu#2 now... Problem with a brand new warped wing. and desiding what edf system. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:50 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
gary
did you or Harry do any mods to the intake or exhaust ducting?
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
gary
did you or Harry do any mods to the intake or exhaust ducting?
I saw the other thread first. John. Responded there.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
What esc, and where was it mounted? Im rebuilding habu#2 now... Problem with a brand new warped wing. and desiding what edf system. Lee
ICE 100 ESC with the plastic housing removed (and heat sinks glued together) and placed far aft in the cockpit area, with cooling holes that break out into the intake ducts. Sucks air past through ESC like crazy. I'll take a few shots and post them. I guess it should be in the Habu2 Mods thread.
The ESC was about 115-120*F. I didn't download any info, as I never use the internal data logger anyway.

The ARC motor, Wemo fan should get ya a bit past "the wall" (135+) Provided you put a thrust tube in it. You'll have to remove some foam to get a tube in there.
The HET 6904 might even be a little faster.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added text.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:14 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Gary congrats on your flights and showing us that a habu foamy can haul tail! I was searching a few threads back and trying to find your complete setup with fan, etc. can you post the details again? How does that 6s gens ace pack fit? Did you have to hog out much foam to squeeze it I'm there? The 5s 3300 one I am running is a tight squeeze and I had to remove some foam so it could fit without any resistance or pressure on the battery wires.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:37 PM
ZR2
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Gary, Yes, 142 is impressive at 2500Watts. Don't think I was able to get there (no doppler or radar gun reading just my own speed guestimate) with a highly modified Habu. Waiting for a suitable power system for it....the first one could only take 3 flights at around 3800Watts and let out the magic smoke (motor shorted and several blown FETs on my 120hv.
Will give it another shot with the new power system, when ready, but here are some build pics.......enjoy!
ZR2 is offline Find More Posts by ZR2
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:25 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
Gary, Yes, 142 is impressive at 2500Watts. Don't think I was able to get there (no doppler or radar gun reading just my own speed guestimate) with a highly modified Habu. Waiting for a suitable power system for it....the first one could only take 3 flights at around 3800Watts and let out the magic smoke (motor shorted and several blown FETs on my 120hv.
Will give it another shot with the new power system, when ready, but here are some build pics.......enjoy!
Beautiful work! how much does this plane weight with the additional CF, Kevlar, fiberglass, and paint?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Wow you shattered the 130 habu wall!!! congrats!!What motor??
Lee,
I was so stoked about the speed that I forgot what motor was actually in it.

This thing has been sitting aroung for so long, I forgot something important!!
The Velocity motor demagged with the new Gens ace battery during run ups on the bench.
I switched out the the motor for the ARC 28-58-1 before it was ever flown.
I corrected my post/answer from yesterday.
I only remembered when I saw ZR2'a post about his smoked motor.
Here's a motor pic I just took of it.

My apologies for the brain fart.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
ZR2,
Very NICE work you did on your airframe.

I dont stock the 16-45-1.5RE, so I havent tried that one myself.
I suppose 9s would be the max for the motor in that fan.

Reading about your smoked motor reminded me that I had changed out the demagged Velicty motor on mine about a month ago. That's what happens to this old fart when projects sit around too long.
I think fh64lucky was running a 16-45-xx in his Mach EDF. You might ask him which one it was and what the cell count was.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:05 PM
ZR2
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Thanks Brian! It's definelty no feather weight but still still flies very well at just under 5 pounds AUW (with 2700mah 10S). Took notes during the build and here's some weight data. My Habu 32 flies well at a 8.25lbs and its only around 20% larger than the Pkz Habu.

Zaheer.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:10 PM
ZR2
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Gary, thanks. Exploring several options for the power system. Will follow up on your suggestion and will do a whole lot more testing on the ground before sending it up again!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Gary congrats on your flights and showing us that a habu foamy can haul tail! I was searching a few threads back and trying to find your complete setup with fan, etc. can you post the details again? How does that 6s gens ace pack fit? Did you have to hog out much foam to squeeze it I'm there? The 5s 3300 one I am running is a tight squeeze and I had to remove some foam so it could fit without any resistance or pressure on the battery wires.
Here's a couple of the early fan install pics, and some I took for you today, of the cockpit area.
I removed the plastic cover from the ESC, epoxied the two heat sink halves together, and added some electrical tape.( I now use "Fusion Tape", as it bonds itself together over a 24 hour cure time.)

Two of the photos show the cooling holes for the ESC that goes from the cockpit into the intake ducts.

I originally ground just one side of the protruding ledge of foam on one of the side wall for the battery wires to lay between the battery and the wall. (no longer needed)

The jet was still nose heavy, so I turned the battery with the wires facing aft and trimmed the ESC wires very short. It now CG's fine, and is lighter, without a few inches of 10GA wire.

I also trimmed the foam from the underside of the canopy frame for the battery. Notice the lack of a pilot.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Gary, thanks. Exploring several options for the power system. Will follow up on your suggestion and will do a whole lot more testing on the ground before sending it up again!
I like your canopy latch. I never though of that. I have a flappy piece of tape on the front of my canopy to pull the canopy loose with. But I tend to "pry" it with my knuckles, digging into the foam and leaving permanent impressions.

I did put a carbon tube, lengthwise in the botttom of the nose area. Haven't experienced any canopy fly offs...yet.

The pic shows the bamboo skewer I used to "drill" the hole for the carbon tube. The tube goes from the front of the wing to rear of the nose wheel opening.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
Crashed mine again today
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Thanks Gary, good info from both you and ZR2....

I got in a few more flights today. 40F out with 13mph winds in the face, but it flew well. I am really surprised at how well this foamy flies in gusty wind conditions. I am seeing some slight flex in the surfaces so some reinforcements will probably be in order soon. Not ideal flying conditions today, but the temp warmed up enough to get out so I figured I would deal with the winds!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast