Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Should be same location.
Dang. But I'm guessing the "extending the battery wires damages the ESC over time issue" is the reason why. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523
Definitely ould've been nice for balancing.
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Dang. But I'm guessing the "extending the battery wires damages the ESC over time issue" is the reason why. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523
Definitely ould've been nice for balancing.
-J
It's generally with systems running batts larger than 6S where ripple is an issue....It certainly won't hurt a thing to run an extra cap pack. But again, ripple is really a problem with higher voltages than the Habu will see...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
It's generally with systems running batts larger than 6S where ripple is an issue....It certainly won't hurt a thing to run an extra cap pack. But again, ripple is really a problem with higher voltages than the Habu will see...

Kevin
And now I know (and knowing is half the battle )

Thanks Kevin!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Waddell, AZ
Joined Sep 2010
27 Posts
I did not say the F 16 retracted forward, what I said was that it is bent forward when extended. have a look at the Habu 2 manual and you will see that the strut has to be bent backward for the wheel to fit in the fuselage, when retracted. how would the gear look if it were reversed and the strut was bent forward? plus, there is probably not enough room in the front of the nose for the wheel to fit.
wpotter is offline Find More Posts by wpotter
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
Waddell, AZ
Joined Sep 2010
27 Posts
Tam has a 70mm setup with an ICE Lite 100 mounted in the tail cone and he also sells capacitor packs to take care of the ripple. Check it out on TamJets.com. just get ready to spend some $$. The best deal would be to buy the airframe, then get the power system from Tam, still more than the BNF, but worth it. You can buy all the parts for less than Tam wants for the PNP setup, just be sure to get his heat sink CF tail cone.
wpotter is offline Find More Posts by wpotter
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
First of all, has anyone tried balancing a model with the gear down and then put the gear up? Unless the gear is attached by a multi-point hinge, all the weight from the gear remains on the hinge-point, so no change to moment arms or cg. Thus, the plane will have the same cg with gear up or down and any change in the plane's flying characteristics comes from the aerodynamic forces of the gear hanging out in the wind. Counter-intuitive but true.
Yes I have balanced a model with the gear down and then put the gear up. Have you? Because what you claim should be the result was NOT the result.

The plane I tried it in has the E-flite 10-15 size tricycle electric retracts...the same ones that this new model Habu will use. Except that in my plane, the nosewheel retracts forward.

When I balance the plane on two pencil erasers, then flip the switch to retract the gear, as the nosewheel retracts forward, the nose of the plane falls down. WAY down -- to the point that the plane almost slips off the pencils. Then when I pick the plane up and rebalance it level on the pencils, the erasers are a millimeter or two forward of where they were before. Ergo, the plane has a more forward CG with the gear up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack G Diaz View Post
Once the gear is up, there is torque to hold it up. and that torque is making the airplane turn around the cg. the effect is the same.

Remember physics force diagrams, torques had an effect independently of their position on the plane.
Sounds good to me...I think you got it right Jack!
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
I have the first Habu, got one of the last ones a few months back and it's a really fun jet. I still fly it stock on 4s. I was thinking about getting a Habu 32 later in the year, but now I'm thinking I'll just get this jet, throw some retracts on it and a 5s and it'll make me smile. Won't be as fast as Habu 32, but should be 100+ and great vertical.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Hey guys

Cant wait for June 14th, which is the release date for the Habu2 (so I've heard). Saving my money for it now...I like the fact that it's being sent with an AR600 rx as i have a dx5e that will work with it perfectly. This will be my first EDF and I cant wait. It looks really good too!
Tutexx is offline Find More Posts by Tutexx
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Ordered mine at my local hobby shop on Friday!
This way I don't have to pay shipping and i get to support my LHS!
They will let me know as soon as it arrives!
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutexx View Post
... Saving my money for it now...I like the fact that it's being sent with an AR600 rx as i have a dx5e that will work with it perfectly. This will be my first EDF and I cant wait. It looks really good too!
You might want to save up for a computer radio upgrade first, (like the DX6i, they go secondhand for cheap cause everybody is upgrading all the time to DX8s, DX18s and what have you). I know that doesn't sound sexy, I mean a shiny new plane is much better looking in your collection hangar then another radio but...

Undoubtedly a DX5e WILL work, it will be much more of a hassle to get the control throws just right (by that I mean: not to BIG, were talking high speed here, not your basic trainer plane...) and you miss out on a goodie like EXPO. which is really handy (understatement) on a high performance high speed plane!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
I'll check out the DX6i and see what I can do. As for right now, since the plane itself is so much more $$$, I'm going to work on getting that first, and worry about a new radio afterwards. At least that way I'll have the plane and the big chunk of money spent first, then I can scrounge for the extra $100 or so to pick up a better radio on eBay later.

Thanks for the heads up though, appreciate it.
Tutexx is offline Find More Posts by Tutexx
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I sold my dx5e on here and then got a used dx6i on here for $100, so ended up only being like $65 after selling mine. Trust me the dx6i is very good to have for the habu.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
15-25 size retract question

Just curious if anyone knows if the Habu 2 can fit 15-25 size E Flite retracts. I know the specs say 10-15 size. However, in case I wanted a little thicker strut, I wanted to see if the 15-25's are an option??

Thanks\

Stekeye
stekeye is offline Find More Posts by stekeye
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Just check on the horizon website the measurements (sizes) of both types retracts. It is on the product page and then look under specs or so.
I think remembering somebody wrote earlier in a post here that they should be identical, and only the wire was different (3mm on the 10-15 vs 4mm on the 15-25)
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Just check on the horizon website the measurements (sizes) of both types retracts. It is on the product page and then look under specs or so.
I think remembering somebody wrote earlier in a post here that they should be identical, and only the wire was different (3mm on the 10-15 vs 4mm on the 15-25)
Thanks Martin, will do.

Stekeye
stekeye is offline Find More Posts by stekeye