SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:12 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Being that far forward is a plus for better ground handling.
How so? Curious...
-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyspeed View Post
I had a nice chat with Matt from Parkzone at the Toledo show. It really sounds like they listened to eveything that customers wanted and put most of it into the V2. This is a really nice looking paint scheme in person. Much better than the V1 scheme in my opinion. I ordered the bare airfram kit and if comes painted like this I don't mind. If it is unpained I will just have to come up with my own scheme. Really looking forward to putting a 10 or 12 blade 70mm fan in there. Should be a lot of fun. I really think this will be an even bigger success than V1. Can't wait for June.
so did you notice where the ESC was put in the V2? Dave, or someone from HH, where is the ESC now? I noticed in the pictures there is no more air scoop near the nose of the plane to get air into the front end like the V1, so that makes me think the ESC is now somewhere else.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
The air scoop is mounted to the wheel in front.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
How so? Curious...
-Josh
The more distance forward a front wheel is placed in front of the CG the more down force that is exerted thus keeping it better planted to the ground, which in turn will provide better grip thus providing smoother taxiing due to less wheel bounce, particularly on less than perfect surfaces or during windier conditions.
I personally do not mind something that is not quite to scale if it means improved performance or handling.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:37 AM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,180 Posts
more speculatin'

There could be a couple more reasons for the rearward rotating nose retract.
There is more room aft for the tire than in the narrowing nose.
I fly with 1-3/4 tires and that’s why my nose door has a blister.
Next it would be the 3mm strut wire on the Eflite 10-15 tends to bend on those “not so greased” landings.
If the retract rotated forward, a bent strut would let the nosewheel hang down a bit. (trust me on that)
Unless they changed something, the 15-25 plastic retract casings are the same size as the 10-15, but with 3.5mm struts. (so thet should be a drop in)
I use these on my two habus with good results. They seem less tweakable especially with the plethera of doors on my ships.
Just my 3 cents worth
DD
Oooman I hope they have an unpainted version......
Depron Dave is offline Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Last edited by Depron Dave; Apr 16, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depron Dave View Post
There could be a couple more reasons for the rearward rotating nose retract.
There is more room aft for the tire than in the narrowing nose.
I fly with 1-3/4 tires and that’s why my nose door has a blister.
Next it would be the 3mm strut wire on the Eflite 10-15 tends to bend on those “not so greased” landings.
If the retract rotated forward, a bent strut would let the nosewheel hang down a bit. (trust me on that)
Unless they changed something, the 15-25 plastic retract casings are the same size as the 10-15, but with 3.5mm struts. (so thet should be a drop in)
I use these on my two habus with good results. They seem less tweakable especially with the plethera of doors on my ships.
Just my 3 cents worth
DD
Oooman I hope they have an unpainted version......
As you have considerable experience with the whole gear setup (understatement)... I guess you must be right on all accounts, still I like your own setup much, much better! So I might need to order a nice nosegeardoor with surroundings for my Habu 2!

Cheers,
Martin
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
You mean, you don't want to read all the way through it???
5s 80A esc is the way to go. Be running that on the stock fan/motor since the word 'go'. Totally worth it, and zero issues.
Josh
Thanks Josh ... erm, yes that's what I meant (my bad ?)
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
5s how many mah? 3000mah & up will fit?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
The airframe only is supposed to be unpainted
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
5s how many mah? 3000mah & up will fit?
I can't speak for the v2, but on the v1 5s 3000mah was a tight squeeze for me. Any more and I'd have needed to trim some foam off the underside of the canopy and/or battery bay.
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
300 Posts
Precisely the opposite. Extending the nose wheel distance will result in less weight on that wheel (assuming CG and total weight is unchanged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
The more distance forward a front wheel is placed in front of the CG the more down force that is exerted thus keeping it better planted to the ground, which in turn will provide better grip thus providing smoother taxiing due to less wheel bounce, particularly on less than perfect surfaces or during windier conditions.
I personally do not mind something that is not quite to scale if it means improved performance or handling.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Precisely the opposite. Extending the nose wheel distance will result in less weight on that wheel (assuming CG and total weight is unchanged).
Longer wheel base on motorcycles or cars improves stability in a straight line, especially at high speed. That's one of the reason cars have cab forward design (a bigger interior and better handling). Motorcycles that don't need to steer fast (such as in drag racing) extend the swim arm to increase the wheel base... It's reasonable Parkzone had even tested it both ways and found placing it forward performed better for uneven surfaces or faster landings...

In any case... this is looking promising. Was really hoping Parkzone dropped the Habu for a well made f-16/f-18 but I guess it's not to be had... I might bite on this one. I'm sick of epoxied on wings with aweful ground handling. Try landing the latest Exceed F-18 70MM, all the landing gear is close to the center of the plane. If an ant farts and hits the plane from the side a wing is going down.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
A butterfly burped next to mine the other day - almost had a wipeout! Thankfully, I sold it today , so no more of that madness (although I gotta say, the rotating metal gear retracts on the Exceed F-18 are pretty sweet).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
A butterfly burped next to mine the other day - almost had a wipeout! Thankfully, I sold it today , so no more of that madness (although I gotta say, the rotating metal gear retracts on the Exceed F-18 are pretty sweet).
Haha exactly. Mine is still hanging in there but my F-4 needs new feathers (again). Break out the dremmel and epoxy...

Maybe another reason could be with flaps deployed it might make the nose floaty or push it up, with the retract weight all the way forward it might make the combination more manageable for a novice (more balanced on approach). Lot's a people buying habu's will be build it and fly guys, not tinkers messing with elevator corrections with computer radios. My theory because it does look unusual is it works better. Or the habu is a throwback to the ME-262.

Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Sorry but you are wrong.
A good analogy is the playground seesaw. The center of the seesaw being the CG if you you have 2 people of equal weight sitting the same distance from the CG it will balance. However as soon as one person moves further back from the CG that side of the seesaw goes down thus exerting more downward pressure towards the ground.
It is no different than the front wheel being further out from the CG.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown