SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,361 Posts
Habu-2 efflux upgrade

Gary she is already to go, but it's getting dark a lot earlier here in "Sin City".....

I added a thrust tub to firstly bridge the gap betwen the fuse and the fan housing. You could see the wing join seam flex open under full power. Secondly, the Habu-2 tailpipe exit is just about the right diameter for a thrust tube to give speed,however, I also needed to fit a smoother exit liner.

I did break down and cut a cheater hole in the center of the wing. This wee beastie needs more air !!!!

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eric Henderson; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,361 Posts
Thrusttube tools.

This may not be new, but here are the tools that I use to open up these foam EDFs.

Basically I was using a cut-off broom handle and sandpaper. Then, one day walking through my local Home Depot hardware store saw some pipe fittings. Then I bought some dry-wall sand papaer. This stuff has openings in it to let plaster dust escape. I guesed it would work for foam and it did.

The PVC joins were very close to 70mm. It does not take much twisting or back and forth movement to remove some good volume of foam. The drytwall sandpaper comes in different grades.

The last picture is my final variant that I used in the Habu. The "former" is a section of pipe from a big-ass shop-vac. the best part about this tool is that I connect it to the vac and have it turned on while I work the foam---no dust, just noise ( I use ear plugs for long jobs).

Hope this helps someone? -- Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:31 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
83 Posts
Does anybody know when the replacement landing gear set PKZ7106 will be available from Horizon? It just says "back ordered."
TX79 is online now Find More Posts by TX79
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:57 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
started the painting of my new Habu 2 airframe fitout, first up i taped everything i didn't want painted and then fitted the plane together

Next it got it's first coat of Createx Pearlized Tangerine which is going to be my base coat for the paint job silly me didn't realize how much paint i had left and ran out before i finished the first coat so more was ordered, will keep updating as i go

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
started the painting of my new Habu 2 airframe fitout, first up i taped everything i didn't want painted and then fitted the plane together

Next it got it's first coat of Createx Pearlized Tangerine which is going to be my base coat for the paint job silly me didn't realize how much paint i had left and ran out before i finished the first coat so more was ordered, will keep updating as i go

cheers chuck
Looks great Chuck.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Gary she is already to go, but it's getting dark a lot earlier here in "Sin City".....

I added a thrust tub to firstly bridge the gap betwen the fuse and the fan housing. You could see the wing join seam flex open under full power. Secondly, the Habu-2 tailpipe exit is just about the right diameter for a thrust tube to give speed,however, I also needed to fit a smoother exit liner.

I did break down and cut a cheater hole in the center of the wing. This wee beastie needs more air !!!!

Regards,

Eric.
Looking good Eric.
You won't need the cheater.
I like your sanding tool. here's a pic of what I've been using lately.
It even works on EPO (which I dislike working with). So I'm keeping my mods to a mininum.
The Habu 2 outlet is nearly 59mm. Most guys who install thrust tubes onto 70mm EDFs, run them at about 56mm (that's a big difference). If you decide to put a full thrust tube in it. Make it at least as small as 56mm if your looking for top end speed. The amps will go upa bit, and you will loose a very liitle static thrust. (acceleration and vertical performance)

.......at Chuck.
Very nice!
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,340 Posts
Do you need the whole kit or just the wheels & struts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
Does anybody know when the replacement landing gear set PKZ7106 will be available from Horizon? It just says "back ordered."
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

cheers chuck

Color matches your vest.......
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Looking good Eric.
You won't need the cheater.
I like your sanding tool. here's a pic of what I've been using lately.
It even works on EPO (which I dislike working with). So I'm keeping my mods to a mininum.
The Habu 2 outlet is nearly 59mm. Most guys who install thrust tubes onto 70mm EDFs, run them at about 56mm (that's a big difference). If you decide to put a full thrust tube in it. Make it at least as small as 56mm if your looking for top end speed. The amps will go upa bit, and you will loose a very liitle static thrust. (acceleration and vertical performance)

.......at Chuck.
Very nice!
I opted for the "stock" Habu opening for one reason only. My plastic sheeting was only that long. The local stores always carry it in 12" pieces in the pre-pakaging When I get some bigger sheeting I will swap in a new thrust tube.

I saw your drill version. Was going to do it and then I saw my shop-vactube and hit on the "run-the-vac-as-I sanded" idea. Made the little lady happy about the foam dust. My "light jobs electric modelling workshop" is in the house adjacent to the living room.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
994 Posts
ChuckTseeker,
Great color, please post photos when you are completely done painting and detailing.Top and bottom. I like custom paint on the habus. The white airframe just begs for it.

thanks
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
83 Posts
Habu 2 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Do you need the whole kit or just the wheels & struts?
Not the whole kit although that's what it looks like I need to buy. I need the red, white, and blue plastic assembly that screws into the bottom front and holds the front wheel in place, and also one of the blue plastic assemblys that holds the wing wheel assembly in place as well as the small rectangular blue clip that screws into the assembly to hold the whole wheel assembly in place.
TX79 is online now Find More Posts by TX79
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
Not the whole kit although that's what it looks like I need to buy. I need the red, white, and blue plastic assembly that screws into the bottom front and holds the front wheel in place, and also one of the blue plastic assemblys that holds the wing wheel assembly in place as well as the small rectangular blue clip that screws into the assembly to hold the whole wheel assembly in place.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ7106
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Question about the front LG plate on the unpainted airframe. The guide says to use 2.5x8mm screws to mount it to the fuse, but they seem too big, and the kit came with some smaller screws. Are they for the LG plate?

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,253 Posts
On the subject of retracts, I am thinking about trying these out...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12883

or these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...teerable_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_1_Pair_.html

with these struts:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11300

Anyone try that combo or something similar? I still need to figure out what to do for the nose retract, since I am not sure if the ones above have a steering mech...
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Last edited by Jetnfast; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
I am using the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_1_Pair_.html, however the steerable one above it will not work. You need one with a reversible mounting plate.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641