HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
46 Posts
Hi to all and to ChuckTseeker. I will give you my thoughts and opinion of the Habu 2 about adding the flaps and retracts. I have my habu 2 for about a month or so and when i bought it I also bought the retracts and flaps. For two weeks I flew it stock without installing the retracts and flaps because I was SCARED to install them.The reason was beacause after reading threads and reviews alot of people were saying abouth how nose heavy the habu 2 is and about the extra wieght when you add the retracts and flaps. So after about 30 perfect flights of stock setup I installed both the retracts and flaps. I was still scared after all the reading but still I had to try them. So I will tell you the difference on my opinion! STOCK setup flies really great...very FLOATY FEELING! Now with the retracts and flaps you are going to FEEL the habu more like its on RAILS...the floaty feeling is kind of lost....just a LITTLE but you will feel it! It trasforms the habu 2 into a BULLET.It tracks and penetrates the wind better beacause its a little heavier. You really don't feel the extra wieght in the air....thats the wierd part. You don't really feel the extra wieght..just the plane tracks alot better.It flies exactly where you to point it to go.Now for the landings...with the flaps down the habu 2 lands in a shorter distance. It does not need a long GLIDE slope to land with no flaps. The approach angle is much steeper and lands alot SLOWER! You can also fly the habu 2 very very slow and I mean VERY SLOW with the flaps down without having the feeling the plane will stall.It turns the habu 2 into a sort of a trainer plane.So you can understand what I mean by this I flew the habu 2 for three minutes yesterday with the flaps at there landing position and I thought I was flying a high wing trainer plane.Believe me! For me I Love my habu 2 with the retracts and flaps installed for the looks when the gear is retracted and for the much slower landings with the flaps down. I never used the flaps on take off. It takes off nicely without them. So........stock flies excellent and easy but you will a need a longer runway for landing...speed management is the key! slow it down much earlier on your glide path and it will land perfect.With retracts and flaps it TRACKS much better especially in wind and a shorter glide path on final landing! For me...retracts and flaps is the way to go...better plane and performance! I hope I helped you guys here at the forum after a month of flying my habu 2 stock and with the retracts and flaps intalled....30 flights stock + 30 flights with the added landing gear and flaps installed. All flights perfects both ways. I am in love with the Habu 2. Its a perfect EDF jet. Its flies excellent both ways...ITS JUST A LITTLE BETTER with the added retracts and flaps.This is my opinion...hope I helped
boolis is offline Find More Posts by boolis
Last edited by boolis; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Hobbyking retracts with struts

Anybody used this set of retracts (PN 189000026) in their Habu 2 without extensive modification to the plane?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hort_Set_.html
At $70 they are not inexpensive for HK retracts.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
I was just shopping around on hobbyking for Habu 2 retracts, and I ended up ordering the turnigy DSR-D. I did some rough measurements and think they will fit.

I think the ones you posted could probably work too. I think the longer version of the ones above also work on the Eflite F-4.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:18 AM
Registered User
WhalleyB0Y's Avatar
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Anybody used this set of retracts (PN 189000026) in their Habu 2 without extensive modification to the plane?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hort_Set_.html
At $70 they are not inexpensive for HK retracts.
How would you mount the nose gear retract? It has a recessed mounting base unlike the eflite steerable nose gear. Im just curious because I have a few of this type too and I dont know how to mount them in a plane like the H2.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:11 AM
Registered User
DamonH's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
How would you mount the nose gear retract? It has a recessed mounting base unlike the eflite steerable nose gear. Im just curious because I have a few of this type too and I dont know how to mount them in a plane like the H2.
Can't you take the mount off and put it on the bottom?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
boolis, thanks for the inputs. Good to know. My trick for the stock Habu is to use spoilerons to slow down and land. Just put the left aileron on a different channel, and use a flap setting to make the ailerons go up. About 10 degrees for half setting, and 15 degrees for full setting. Works great on the Habu. But when you go to flaps, you do not need the spoilerons anymore (this would be crow). However, crow is used on the Habu 32 as this is a faster, heavier plane.

I just got mine together and will fly it stock first. I checked the CG, and I am at 3.5" instead of 4" per the manual. I think this will be OK.

The build was easy, and the quality of the kit is excellent. Can't wait to fly it.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
How to install Eflite retracts.

This video was made by Horizon to explain how to install 10-15 Eflite retracts in a Habu 2. It corrects errors in the Habu 2 manual. This is a reference for those planning on installing Eflite retracts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p9DrEH3zxW8
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I have never flown a habu with flaps but I can say that they probably wont be necessary. The only thing you'll gain with flaps is a little weight and a very slightly steeper approach angle.
You also get a greatly reduced takeoff roll, which means using less battery to get off the ground, which means longer flight times.

At my grass field Habu2s without flaps usually won't get off the ground unless there is a breeze down the runway.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Crow on Habu 32 vs. Habu 2

I have both Habu EDFs. The heavier 32 definitely handles better, for me, with crow. Rock stable on approach.

The lighter 2, with flaps, but no crow (ran out of channels as I also installed a Guardian 2D/3D unit and needed one channel for 2D/OFF/3D), seems to be slow enough, with full flaps, that I am not finding a need for crow. I am older than dirt, so my reaction times are much slower; hence crow on the 32, but flaps seem sufficient for the 2.

I have a Guardian unit installed in both Habu EDFs and it seems more helpful (controlling wing drop) on the heavier 32.

Just my $0.02.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
boolis, thanks for the inputs. Good to know. My trick for the stock Habu is to use spoilerons to slow down and land. Just put the left aileron on a different channel, and use a flap setting to make the ailerons go up. About 10 degrees for half setting, and 15 degrees for full setting. Works great on the Habu. But when you go to flaps, you do not need the spoilerons anymore (this would be crow). However, crow is used on the Habu 32 as this is a faster, heavier plane.

I just got mine together and will fly it stock first. I checked the CG, and I am at 3.5" instead of 4" per the manual. I think this will be OK.

The build was easy, and the quality of the kit is excellent. Can't wait to fly it.
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Registered User
WhalleyB0Y's Avatar
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I have both Habu EDFs. The heavier 32 definitely handles better, for me, with crow. Rock stable on approach.

The lighter 2, with flaps, but no crow (ran out of channels as I also installed a Guardian 2D/3D unit and needed one channel for 2D/OFF/3D), seems to be slow enough, with full flaps, that I am not finding a need for crow. I am older than dirt, so my reaction times are much slower; hence crow on the 32, but flaps seem sufficient for the 2.

I have a Guardian unit installed in both Habu EDFs and it seems more helpful (controlling wing drop) on the heavier 32.

Just my $0.02.

Michael
What is crow?
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
Destructive Tester
jimmy34256's Avatar
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
What is crow?
Crow (aka Butterfly). This is an extremely efficient landing configuration because both ailerons are simultaneously raised which lowers their angle of attack. At the same time, the inboard flaps are lowered which raises their angle of attack and creates more lift as previously stated.
This configuration greatly increases drag which slows the aircraft while creating a great deal of lift allowing the aircraft to continue flying at this reduced speed. The lower angle of attack at the tips provides an excellent safety margin to avoid tip stalls.
As with a dual aileron setup, all four surfaces can be mixed to act as flaps and then mixed to the elevator. Therefore, with a capable transmitter, an aircraft can be setup to fly extremely efficiently in many different flight conditions.
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Crow is mixing flaps (down) and both ailerons up simultaneously. It helps with a steeper descent or to slow on roll out. You can vary the amount of positive aileron depending on the need for roll control.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
WhalleyB0Y's Avatar
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Sounds like a great reason to install an AR800, thanks for the explanation guys.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,429 Posts
Thanks all for your answers

i own the Habu 1 and the UMX Mig-15 so know how well both planes fly and float in, but just wondered if i really needed the flaps and after reading and thinking about it i might fit them as this Habu, is going to be my "show pony" as to say and a bit heavier than a stock unit

so 10 blade 4s fan is ordered just need to get stuck into my paint job now hope i can do the bare airframe justice i'm gonna try for a striped paint job

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:41 AM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolis View Post
Hi to all and to ChuckTseeker. I will give you my thoughts and opinion of the Habu 2 about adding the flaps and retracts. I have my habu 2 for about a month or so and when i bought it I also bought the retracts and flaps. For two weeks I flew it stock without installing the retracts and flaps because I was SCARED to install them.The reason was beacause after reading threads and reviews alot of people were saying abouth how nose heavy the habu 2 is and about the extra wieght when you add the retracts and flaps. So after about 30 perfect flights of stock setup I installed both the retracts and flaps. I was still scared after all the reading but still I had to try them. So I will tell you the difference on my opinion! STOCK setup flies really great...very FLOATY FEELING! Now with the retracts and flaps you are going to FEEL the habu more like its on RAILS...the floaty feeling is kind of lost....just a LITTLE but you will feel it! It trasforms the habu 2 into a BULLET.It tracks and penetrates the wind better beacause its a little heavier. You really don't feel the extra wieght in the air....thats the wierd part. You don't really feel the extra wieght..just the plane tracks alot better.It flies exactly where you to point it to go.Now for the landings...with the flaps down the habu 2 lands in a shorter distance. It does not need a long GLIDE slope to land with no flaps. The approach angle is much steeper and lands alot SLOWER! You can also fly the habu 2 very very slow and I mean VERY SLOW with the flaps down without having the feeling the plane will stall.It turns the habu 2 into a sort of a trainer plane.So you can understand what I mean by this I flew the habu 2 for three minutes yesterday with the flaps at there landing position and I thought I was flying a high wing trainer plane.Believe me! For me I Love my habu 2 with the retracts and flaps installed for the looks when the gear is retracted and for the much slower landings with the flaps down. I never used the flaps on take off. It takes off nicely without them. So........stock flies excellent and easy but you will a need a longer runway for landing...speed management is the key! slow it down much earlier on your glide path and it will land perfect.With retracts and flaps it TRACKS much better especially in wind and a shorter glide path on final landing! For me...retracts and flaps is the way to go...better plane and performance! I hope I helped you guys here at the forum after a month of flying my habu 2 stock and with the retracts and flaps intalled....30 flights stock + 30 flights with the added landing gear and flaps installed. All flights perfects both ways. I am in love with the Habu 2. Its a perfect EDF jet. Its flies excellent both ways...ITS JUST A LITTLE BETTER with the added retracts and flaps.This is my opinion...hope I helped
Great report boolis!

I have just purchased a Habu 2 to replace my crashed Dynam Meteor. The Habu 2 is sitting assembled, though yet to maiden. I and was going to fly it stock for a few flights then add retracts. Might just go straight to retracts. I am though pretty sure I will take the 5S path, so currently awaiting the delivery of a 80amp ESC and 10amp CC BEC.
Hopefully the stock motor and fan will handle 5S with careful throttle management. Was planning on using the 5S Zippy Compact 2700mAH 35C (360g)
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 2 PNP Parkzone Habu's - willing to ship jgalexander Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 16 Mar 29, 2012 09:44 PM
For Sale Brand New in pack ParkZone Habu EDF Jet Painted Wing PKZ7020 zsultan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 15, 2011 12:36 AM
For Sale Brand New in pack ParkZone Habu EDF Jet Painted Wing PKZ7020 zsultan Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 13, 2011 02:40 PM
Sold Brand New Parkzone Habu EDF Jet BNF zsultan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 07, 2011 01:05 PM
Sold Brand New Parkzone Habu EDF Jet BNF. zsultan Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Nov 07, 2011 01:04 PM