HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Sounds good prof....I am happy with my Habu32 full house controls, but might go the same route on the H2, like you said, so man options!

What thickness CF did you use for those MB1 mounting tabs?
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Last edited by Jetnfast; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:26 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
have bought a Habu 2 airframe and am looking at getting a better sounding EDF than the stock one and wondered if this one would fit the bill?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1200watt.html

it says it makes 1.7kg of thrust, is this more or less than the stock unit? i have searched but couldn't find anything on this 10 blade fan.
This model is the 4s version they also do a 6S version for 2.4kg of thrust but i was thinking the 6s might be a bit of a squeeze and heavy to get into the Habu?

so anyone fitted this 4s or 6s fan? anyone give me any info about weather the 4s will be at least as powerful as the stock system?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
have bought a Habu 2 airframe and am looking at getting a better sounding EDF than the stock one and wondered if this one would fit the bill?

it says it makes 1.7kg of thrust, is this more or less than the stock unit? i have searched but couldn't find anything on this 10 blade fan.
This model is the 4s version they also do a 6S version for 2.4kg of thrust but i was thinking the 6s might be a bit of a squeeze and heavy to get into the Habu?

so anyone fitted this 4s or 6s fan? anyone give me any info about weather the 4s will be at least as powerful as the stock system?

cheers chuck
Wow Chuck that unit is heavy. Sorry I haven't fitted one before but just by looking at the numbers it should be twice the power as a stock setup and should do well with 5s.
WhalleyB0Y is online now Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Chuck,
The sound is awesome - have you watched the videos from RC Lander? Sick.
Seems like 1.7kg of thrust ought to get you about 1:1 thrust to weight - dunno about speed though. 5s might be a possibility. There's a ton of info on those alloy housing EDF units here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712422
Happy reading!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Quote:

cheers chuck
Hey chuck where did you get the habu2 airframe from?
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Chuck,
The sound is awesome - have you watched the videos from RC Lander? Sick.
Seems like 1.7kg of thrust ought to get you about 1:1 thrust to weight - dunno about speed though. 5s might be a possibility. There's a ton of info on those alloy housing EDF units here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712422
Happy reading!
Josh
thanks Josh i might just look into it, after attending an Electric Fun Fly just recently there were a lot of jets around with nice edf units and they sound so much better than my stock Habu

cheers chuck
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
it hasn't arrived yet, but i'm getting it from OMP/Modelflight ordered a set of retracts too i have really been enjoying my Habu, BUT! i had an unfortunate incident at Swan Hill and my original took a beating, so i was just gonna swap my gear over, but after hearing those multi blade fans i might keep the old Habu for a hack and redo a Habu 2 with a nice 10 blade fan. + you know the airframe is just white foam this time round, so i will airbrush a stripped scheme of some sort, it will then be a one of a kind Habu 2

cheers chuck
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
niice i've been waiting for the Habu2 airframe to come in stock as well.

I have just installed an ExtremeRC CS10 4S combo in my T45 Hawk. Sounds Awesome :-)
uses a lower KV motor for 1.4Kg thrust @ 60A

the Hobbyking aka RCLander 4S setup looks like it might be ok. A little high on the kv so it will be interesting how long the motor holds up. 80A is pretty thirsty too :-)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
niice i've been waiting for the Habu2 airframe to come in stock as well.

I have just installed an ExtremeRC CS10 4S combo in my T45 Hawk. Sounds Awesome :-)
uses a lower KV motor for 1.4Kg thrust @ 60A

the Hobbyking aka RCLander 4S setup looks like it might be ok. A little high on the kv so it will be interesting how long the motor holds up. 80A is pretty thirsty too :-)
so Jim do you think the 6s EDF unit running 4s might be a little better than the 4s unit as i notice that only has a 2200kv motor??

cheers chuck

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0watt_6s_.html
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
No experience with 6S stuff. I've always tried to stick with 4S.
Might be worth posting in the CS10 thread. Lots of guys have experimented with different motors.
No specs listed on the motor to know what the max amps really is.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
On 4s you'd only get 14.8*2200=33,560rpm. That'd be way too low. 5s might be okay, but 6s is really the ticket. In my opinion, if you'd rather stick with 4s, go with the 4s motor. If, after a while, you want more speed, you can always throw a 5s batt in there and see what happens. I did with my 3580kv RC Lander 5-blade edf, and so far, so good (keepin my fingers crossed )
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Really though, check out the thread I linked above. It's only 8 pages, and it has a ton of testing numbers that you can use to answer your questions.
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Hey Jim! mine showed up today they are available on the modelflight site $110 real value if you ask me very happy with mine, can't wait to start painting it

have ordered the 70mm 10 blade 4s EDF unit for it too

looking forward to flying this one, still not sure on fitting the flaps, does this plane really need them? anyone who has them fitted, do you use them? are they worth it?
Or is it better to keep the wing solid and not add another week point?

cheers chuck

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...11417-163.html
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Doh i was there last night too picking up the new SBACH.
Guess i might have to give them a call tomorrow :-)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:14 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Hey Jim! mine showed up today they are available on the modelflight site $110 real value if you ask me very happy with mine, can't wait to start painting it

have ordered the 70mm 10 blade 4s EDF unit for it too

looking forward to flying this one, still not sure on fitting the flaps, does this plane really need them? anyone who has them fitted, do you use them? are they worth it?
Or is it better to keep the wing solid and not add another week point?

cheers chuck

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...11417-163.html
Chuck,

I have never flown a habu with flaps but I can say that they probably wont be necessary. The only thing you'll gain with flaps is a little weight and a very slightly steeper approach angle. The habu has a very generous wing and can fly incredibly slow, especially for an EDF. Jets are all about energy management. Just get it slowed down early and you'll be fine. I don't know if you have the umx Mig or not but if you do the habu glides at least twice to three times better!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon