SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
I just installed flaps and gear and with a turnigy 5 s battery on board the cg is way off. To balance the cg is now at about 2 inches from leading edge. Is this normal and if not where's the best place to hot glue some weight. I hate adding more weight.
It's always best to try moving components around for CG before adding dead weight. Try moving the esc further aft if you haven't done so already. See post #817 for ideas.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:22 AM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
Just got my Habu 2 and noticed that there was a red and yellow paint mark/dot on a couple servo plugs. Can anyone help me understand what they represent? Thanks much!
The red dots are on the retract extensions.

Kurtzz
Kurtzz is offline Find More Posts by Kurtzz
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:24 AM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtzz View Post
The red dots are on the retract extensions.

Kurtzz
Oops, will have to look tonight, they might be on the aileron extensions, been a while.

Kurtzz
Kurtzz is offline Find More Posts by Kurtzz
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtzz View Post
Oops, will have to look tonight, they might be on the aileron extensions, been a while.

Kurtzz
Ok great look forward to update. Thanks!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
81 Posts
Flap Installation

Putting the flaps on my H2. Whats the best way to hold the servos on? Hot glue? What kind of tape to cover the wires?
TX79 is offline Find More Posts by TX79
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
Putting the flaps on my H2. Whats the best way to hold the servos on? Hot glue? What kind of tape to cover the wires?
I like using Liquid Nails which is a silicone glue. Blenderm tape is nice and light weight.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:33 PM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
I've always used hot glue on my servos in foam planes, never had an issue with them coming loose.
MikePS is offline Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,418 Posts
Quote:
Low to medium temp hot glue does the job of holding in servos.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:12 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
I carefully peeled back the original tape, then reapplied it and covered the edges with clear packing tape.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
Hey guys I put an 80 amp turnigy esc up front and I needed a lot of lead in the tail to get the 4 inch cg. Total lead weight was 2.4oz or 68.4 grams. Is this way to much and will it hinder performance? There wasso many wires from the flaps and retracts that I didn't want to put the esc in the back. I had a hard enough time getting all the wired up into the fuselage. Thanks a lot.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:18 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Too much? No. Will it decrease your performance? A little bit, but not a ton. You might consider scooting the battery as far aft as possible. In my V1 I cut away the rear foam 'supports' from the battery bay so I could get the plane CG'ed without needing extra weight. It helped a lot.
Best,
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Too much? No. Will it decrease your performance? A little bit, but not a ton. You might consider scooting the battery as far aft as possible. In my V1 I cut away the rear foam 'supports' from the battery bay so I could get the plane CG'ed without needing extra weight. It helped a lot.
Best,
J
Thanks so much. I don't think the battery will go back as the reciever is right there. I forgot to mention I had a 5s in there. Thanks again.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:20 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
You might also consider swapping the battery and Rx locations.

If you're going to fly it nose-heavy, just keep in mind that you'll need to fly it a bit faster to avoid a stall. If it does stall, it'll lead to a sharp nose-drop - something to watch out for.
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
Hey guys I put an 80 amp turnigy esc up front and I needed a lot of lead in the tail to get the 4 inch cg. Total lead weight was 2.4oz or 68.4 grams. Is this way to much and will it hinder performance? There wasso many wires from the flaps and retracts that I didn't want to put the esc in the back. I had a hard enough time getting all the wired up into the fuselage. Thanks a lot.
The servo wire "mess" is what kept me from putting my esc in the triangle hole. I shortened many of my servo wires to get rid of the excess wiring. This freed up enough room to put the esc in the "tip" of the air intake. I try to always do whatever it takes to prevent adding dead weight.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:13 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Dumb question here. For the guys running 5s, are you hand launching? With the extra weight of the lipo and esc, I don't want to lawn dart it. Any advice?

Thanks
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider