HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
oh yea, about the bec... my first Habu likely died because the steering servo had jammed when the nose gear retracted on take off, and I was using rudder at the time to correct for cross wind.
When it jammed it had enough draw along with all the other servos, gear, flaps and wot throttle to create a power failure in the stock esc. Fan pulsed and rx reset at the worst possible time... during climb after takeoff.
I will never again take that chance, now I believe in external bec or rx battery packs.
Understand on take off and landings but our field is pretty rough!!!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Ive had to add 16.5 grams to the tail to counter the 5s 3300 lipo, this is with the listed cg point in the manual. The battery itself weighs 448 grams. The esc is in the duct. Once the motor and fan arrive I will have to re-evaluate this again but I wonder if Im ok for now with this weight and and stock motor?
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Ive had to add 16.5 grams to the tail to counter the 5s 3300 lipo, this is with the listed cg point in the manual. The battery itself weighs 448 grams. The esc is in the duct. Once the motor and fan arrive I will have to re-evaluate this again but I wonder if Im ok for now with this weight and and stock motor?
What is new motor/fan and weight relative to stock? Have you done cutting in battery tray area at all?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
53grams would be the difference added with the new fan/motor

BL 15 - 106grams
Delta V - 88grams

194grams total

2950kv - 191grams
CS10 - 56grams

247grams total

So in which case I would have to remove the added weight in the tail cone and actually slide the 5s 3300 forward slightly... which is good news. I did trim a very small amount of foam from the battery bay to move the 5s 3/4" back towards the rx. Nothing from the canopy had to be removed.

But for now I don't think I should fly on 4s until the parts arrive.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
53grams would be the difference added with the new fan/motor

BL 15 - 106grams
Delta V - 88grams

194grams total

2950kv - 191grams
CS10 - 56grams

247grams total

So in which case I would have to remove the added weight in the tail cone and actually slide the 5s 3300 forward slightly... which is good news. I did trim a very small amount of foam from the battery bay to move the 5s 3/4" back towards the rx. Nothing from the canopy had to be removed.

But for now I don't think I should fly on 4s until the parts arrive.
Hopefully that puts you close to cg w/o added weight in tail!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,028 Posts
Started working on the Habu 2. Going for a 5s setup. I know the CC 100 is a little overkill but will use it on other projects. It's a little big and heavy so not going to work up front. Does anyone have any placement ideas.? I could always test fit on the habu 1. It has seen a scalpel before, no worries there. Still looking for an edf unit and motor. Our grass field doesn't like small landing gear so it will be hand launched and belly flopped. The white is a good foundation for a paint job. Undecided on that too. This project will take some time I think.....

Attached Thumbnails
  • the CC 100 is almost twice the weight of the eflite 60 and the TP 5s 3300 lipo is around 65 gr more than eflite 4s 3200 248.2 KB Views: 17
  • the esc is huge. need to move it. any ideas? the lipo fits good. 157.2 KB Views: 19
  • this fits way better but a little under powered. habu 1 240.8 KB Views: 16
  • i like to wrap servos in green frog tape first. A little caulk works great. that sounded wrong. 140.2 KB Views: 19
  • nice and snug 101.6 KB Views: 20
  • this is my habu 1 in AMX paint sceme. still have alot of fun with this one 287.5 KB Views: 22
posted from the other thread
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,959 Posts
Here's some images showing ESC placement options. Personally, I'm a fan of the first one. The smooth side gets cooling air in the intake, but doesn't disrupt airflow (as opposed to having the finned side out), and so the fan gets smoother air. The finned side gets cooling air as well inside the triangle area. Plus it helps with the CG.
Another great spot would be in the tail. That requires longer wires and a capacitor though.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:39 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Here's some images showing ESC placement options. Personally, I'm a fan of the first one. The smooth side gets cooling air in the intake, but doesn't disrupt airflow (as opposed to having the finned side out), and so the fan gets smoother air. The finned side gets cooling air as well inside the triangle area. Plus it helps with the CG.
Another great spot would be in the tail. That requires longer wires and a capacitor though.
Thanks for the good info. The more options the better. I like the triangle in between the inlets.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:12 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
121 Posts
I'm not new to EDF's had the originl habu. I love my Habu 2 although yet to fly it was wondering if it would be ok to run a 3s 35C 3200 until I master her just to keep her at a good speed until orientation and landing and take offs are mastered. Or will I have a tougher time since she will be underpowered? I'm just asking because I have several 3s 3200's.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
I'm not new to EDF's had the originl habu. I love my Habu 2 although yet to fly it was wondering if it would be ok to run a 3s 35C 3200 until I master her just to keep her at a good speed until orientation and landing and take offs are mastered. Or will I have a tougher time since she will be underpowered? I'm just asking because I have several 3s 3200's.
I don't think it will ever take off or fly on a 3S setup.

Kurtzz
Kurtzz is offline Find More Posts by Kurtzz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
I would not try a 3s, probably way underpowered if it could even get off the ground.

And I don't mean underpowered as in it won't climb vertical, underpowered as in it will need full power to fly just above stall speed.

Just put the recommended battery in and use throttle management to keep it under control.
mustang347 is online now Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,028 Posts
[QUOTE=CnadianFF;22872425]I'm not new to EDF's had the originl habu. I love my Habu 2 although yet to fly it was wondering if it would be ok to run a 3s 35C 3200 until I master her just to keep her at a good speed until orientation and landing and take offs are mastered. Or will I have a tougher time since she will be underpowered? I'm just asking because I have several 3s 3200's.[/QUOT

Underpowered, the motor will just pulse like when the lv cut-off kicks in. You need more voltage. If the motor does run good, you will not have enough power to fly, most likely glide 10 feet and then drop. Use a 4s and just use full throttle to take off and then ease it back little. Just make sure you carry some speed in turns.

mustang347 is right on the money, good answer.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
A 4S is need because the stock motor is only 3200 kv. It needs the higher voltage to spin the fan and provide sufficient thrust. 3s packs are used with 4300 or higher KV motors (which are typical of smaller, 64 mm EDFs).
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Just got my Habu 2 and noticed that there was a red and yellow paint mark/dot on a couple servo plugs. Can anyone help me understand what they represent? Thanks much!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
373 Posts
5 s setup

I just installed flaps and gear and with a turnigy 5 s battery on board the cg is way off. To balance the cg is now at about 2 inches from leading edge. Is this normal and if not where's the best place to hot glue some weight. I hate adding more weight.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey