HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Proline, 2500mah WILL be to short for much of even a shake down flight.If you have decent skills flying,H2 will offer no suprises to you.I would tell you setup for 5s right off, 4s and 80mph will get boring real quick and then you will be setting up all over agian for more thrust.Even then, after a while...you will want even more. Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Go to 6s....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Proline, 2500mah WILL be to short for much of even a shake down flight.If you have decent skills flying,H2 will offer no suprises to you.I would tell you setup for 5s right off, 4s and 80mph will get boring real quick and then you will be setting up all over agian for more thrust.Even then, after a while...you will want even more. Joe

fh64- I currently fly sport/3d/foam jets so skills are hitting intermediate (at least I keep telling myself that!) Funny you say about 4S and 80ish getting boring thinking the same thing... I would like to buy batteries 1 time and be done- getting so many LIPO's kicking around im gonna need a bomb bunker to store safely!!! Our flying field keeps us in a relatively small flight box so im thinking more on a "high thrust" mind set rather than all out top speed. Part of me says stay light weight 4S/3300 and go for better vertical performance i/l/o top speed. Don't understand EDF power set ups yet to get this correct. I will want to move to alloy fan at minimum for performance/sound. I get the sense that it will lead me to 100 Ice/better motor/5S so 5S from the start sounds like the way to go. Only question is will 5S still be the best route to take for smaller flight box and vertical climb out??? If yes guessing 3300Mah/5S for weight/balance? BTW I'm flying with no gear and no flaps... Thanks! jimmy34256 read posts on 6S would love to but not deep enough pockets or more importantly SKILLS for that kind of speed!!!!!!!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:14 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
proline1

I fly my V1 Habu with a completely stock power system. All I did was move the ESC to the ducting for cooling and CG. I hand launch and in about 100ft I clear 50 ft trees with ease.
Launch and for the first 30ft you're flying nose high, level gaining speed. Next 20 nose level accelerating, after that pull to a 1:1 45* climb. It will maintain this climb until it is a very small dot in the sky.

With 5S, 75Amp ESC everything else stock I hear you can launch and immediately get 60*+ climbs as it is accelerating!

I've never tried 5S as I already had 4x 4S packs before I bought the Habu. If I didn't have them I probably would have went 5S. As to skills for 5S speed, there is no need to have the throttle stick stuck at the top for the whole flight. Just fly at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and the speed will be very manageable.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
proline1

I fly my V1 Habu with a completely stock power system. All I did was move the ESC to the ducting for cooling and CG. I hand launch and in about 100ft I clear 50 ft trees with ease.
Launch and for the first 30ft you're flying nose high, level gaining speed. Next 20 nose level accelerating, after that pull to a 1:1 45* climb. It will maintain this climb until it is a very small dot in the sky.

With 5S, 75Amp ESC everything else stock I hear you can launch and immediately get 60*+ climbs as it is accelerating!

I've never tried 5S as I already had 4x 4S packs before I bought the Habu. If I didn't have them I probably would have went 5S. As to skills for 5S speed, there is no need to have the throttle stick stuck at the top for the whole flight. Just fly at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and the speed will be very manageable.

-Brian
Great info! Being that I don't have any 4S/3300 paks im leaning toward 5S/3300 with 100 phoenix ice for any potential motor/fan upgrades. definately mount esc on cowling area gotta search forum for some pictures/ideas of best way to do it... wondering if unlimited vertical is possible with 5S and correct power set up??? Thanks much!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:50 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
Great info! Being that I don't have any 4S/3300 paks im leaning toward 5S/3300 with 100 phoenix ice for any potential motor/fan upgrades. definately mount esc on cowling area gotta search forum for some pictures/ideas of best way to do it... wondering if unlimited vertical is possible with 5S and correct power set up??? Thanks much!
Stock motor and fan on 5S has much better vertical but it is NOT unlimited. Watts increase to about 1200 on 5S 3300 40C pack. Flight times are 4 min. 20 seconds. You'd need a 1800 watt or better setup for unlmited vertical. Gary at EFFLUX has setups that will do it.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Stock motor and fan on 5S has much better vertical but it is NOT unlimited. Watts increase to about 1200 on 5S 3300 40C pack. Flight times are 4 min. 20 seconds. You'd need a 1800 watt or better setup for unlmited vertical. Gary at EFFLUX has setups that will do it.
Excellent! with 1800 watt set up is hand launch (no retracts or gear obviously) still viable option?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! with 1800 watt set up is hand launch (no retracts or gear obviously) still viable option?
Yes, and Gary will offer you some options. He patrols this thread or you can go to his website and send him the question.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
IMHO the more power you have the easier hand launching is, just make sure you didn't add to much weight.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yes, and Gary will offer you some options. He patrols this thread or you can go to his website and send him the question.
Ok nice! I will give him a shout. Thanks again!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
Hi Proline, I just saw your request for a photo just after I finished posting one in the other H2 thread... So I will just copy and paste it here too.

I just got my replacement Habu 2, luv ya HH! This time I decided to go with a 5s setup and I had an extra 110A ZTW esc kicking around. This is how and where I put it.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I traced an outline of the esc in the fuse and carefully cut out the wedge in a way that I could easily CA it back in if I changed my mind. I inserted a thin strip of CF into the foam with some CA and placed it between the fold of wire to hold it in place. This way it wont get sucked into the fan or flop around the intake. When connecting the fuse to the wing the CF strip slightly pokes into the wing locking it in. Both sides of the esc is exposed and will get airflow over it. I also use a small Castle BEC to reduce the work on the capacitors and ensure servo function if I ever get thermal shutdown. <br />
<br />
I am waiting on a CS10 fan and 2950kv motor to arrive which is nearly twice the weight of the original components. I anticipate that this will offset the CG with my 5S 3300 nicely and I won't need to add dead weight.
WhalleyB0Y is online now Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Hi Proline, I just saw your request for a photo just after I finished posting one in the other H2 thread... So I will just copy and paste it here too.

I just got my replacement Habu 2, luv ya HH! This time I decided to go with a 5s setup and I had an extra 110A ZTW esc kicking around. This is how and where I put it.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I traced an outline of the esc in the fuse and carefully cut out the wedge in a way that I could easily CA it back in if I changed my mind. I inserted a thin strip of CF into the foam with some CA and placed it between the fold of wire to hold it in place. This way it wont get sucked into the fan or flop around the intake. When connecting the fuse to the wing the CF strip slightly pokes into the wing locking it in. Both sides of the esc is exposed and will get airflow over it. I also use a small Castle BEC to reduce the work on the capacitors and ensure servo function if I ever get thermal shutdown. <br />
<br />
I am waiting on a CS10 fan and 2950kv motor to arrive which is nearly twice the weight of the original components. I anticipate that this will offset the CG with my 5S 3300 nicely and I won't need to add dead weight.
Nice looks great! Do you use gear or hand launch? How about flaps? I will not have gear and probably not flaps. Phoenix Ice 100 has 5v internal BEC so probably will not need external at least for now... What does "CS" stand for? Is this a alloy fan? Where did you get power equipment? Thanks again!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
I enjoy takeoffs and landings above all else so I do use the flaps and gear. I did consider flaperons to save weight but with the ailerons on the outermost parts of the wing it would be too unstable. I also needed more useful weight behind the cg so flaps and gear help with that.
I also feel that a plane should be able to get off the ground and back again on it's own accord to be considered a plane. At least thats what I say to my buddies when I tease them about their bellyflopping funjets. lol.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
oh yea, about the bec... my first Habu likely died because the steering servo had jammed when the nose gear retracted on take off, and I was using rudder at the time to correct for cross wind.
When it jammed it had enough draw along with all the other servos, gear, flaps and wot throttle to create a power failure in the stock esc. Fan pulsed and rx reset at the worst possible time... during climb after takeoff.
I will never again take that chance, now I believe in external bec or rx battery packs.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
I enjoy takeoffs and landings above all else so I do use the flaps and gear. I did consider flaperons to save weight but with the ailerons on the outermost parts of the wing it would be too unstable. I also needed more useful weight behind the cg so flaps and gear help with that.
I also feel that a plane should be able to get off the ground and back again on it's own accord to be considered a plane. At least thats what I say to my buddies when I tease them about their bellyflopping funjets. lol.
LOL I hear you on the BEC too!