HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,912 Posts
The main diff is that it's a bulletproof setup. Everything works well or very well, and if something fails, HH has great customer support and parts availability. Another difference is that you get an AR600 ($50 or $60 new).
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
My last 70mm edf was a FMS F16.

After replacing all the servos and putting a e-flight power system (same one that comes with the habu) it ended up not being much cheaper then the Habu.

Both of them had a good Flight Envelope.

Habu Strong Points:
Stonger one piece wing that has less flex in it
Better belly lander
Having the air intakes on the side helped protect the fan from FOD.
Hinges are better and don't have a gap between the wing and the control surface
Rudder servo is in the back
Nose gear steering is better (but I normally just take the gear off)

FMS f16 Strong Points:
Faster
Better thrust to weight (lighter air frame)
Each Elevator half had its own servo
Its much Easier to hand launch.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Regardless of any flight differences between different brands of EDF jets, Horizon's customer service can't be beat. The fact that they've taken care of me so well over the years makes me always lean towards their products. I've never had better customer service from any other company. And if a company is willing to take care of me that well, then I'm willing to support that company as much I can.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post

After replacing all the servos and putting a e-flight power system (same one that comes with the habu) it ended up not being much cheaper then the Habu.

Habu Strong Points:
Better belly lander

FMS f16 Strong Points:
Faster
I agree with you on some points, like the elevators, thrust to weight. But air intake,,, The F16 is a real jet the Habu is fictional. so different design. Personally id fly the F16 stock out of the box. Still a better flyer than the habu. F16 areo dynamic makes doing high alpha without TV childs play. My 10 year old is doing high alpha while inverted with it.

My only thing is,,, $299 for a beginner edf. to me thats way way too high a price. It should be around $125 for beginner edf. lets face it, your going to stuff it a few times. Id rather blow up a $125 edf learning on it vs $299. I think a $299 edf would get me discouraged.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
I agree with you on some points, like the elevators, thrust to weight. But air intake,,, The F16 is a real jet the Habu is fictional. so different design. Personally id fly the F16 stock out of the box. Still a better flyer than the habu. F16 areo dynamic makes doing high alpha without TV childs play. My 10 year old is doing high alpha while inverted with it.

My only thing is,,, $299 for a beginner edf. to me thats way way too high a price. It should be around $125 for beginner edf. lets face it, your going to stuff it a few times. Id rather blow up a $125 edf learning on it vs $299. I think a $299 edf would get me discouraged.
Build your own Habu and buy a airframe only kit (comes with leads) for $100.

The best part about this hobby there are lots of choices and you are free to buy what you want. The Habu is sport jet not look alike military jet.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--I only got around 950ish watts- 68 amps with BI3600 - HET fan on 2650 4s(worked great but mine eventually burned out)

--3200kv velocity motor would probably perform like stock motor on 4s or 5s--just heavier
--3700kv velocity motor would probably perform better on 4s than stock motor on 5s -- and still be able to handle 5s-- just use heatsink--larger motor would also balance better in Habu with bigger packs
--HET fan will probably pull more amps than stock fan

--Now I want one--
You are right on BI3600. I checked my own blog and looked up the readings on its installation in FA18 Hornet. It was 950 watts.

I will have to think about the Velocity 3700. I don't want to have to buy another 100 amp ESC.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I don't agree with the statement "you're going to stuff it a few times (because it's a beginner edf)". It's a beginner EDF, not a beginner PLANE. Anyone with intermediate flying skills can transition to a Habu with NO problem. As stated, it's flight envelope is very big. Meaning the stall speed is much slower than other EDFs. I never "stuffed" my original habu when learning to fly it.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:

If you one of the lucky ones to get an F16 that works out of the box. Mine came with two dead servos and the fan exploded.

The air take design on the Habu is better then the f16 unless you taking off from pavement. Lets say your not taking off from pavement and using the landing gear the f16 having its intake on the bottom will pick up stuff from the ground. If your hand launching and belly landing the F16 intake takes a beating plus scoops up stuff. If your taking off and landing on pavement its not really a big deal.

I don't really see the FMS F16 being any cheaper. QA on the electronics is terrible. Plus its a 700-800 watt plane vs a 450-550 watt plane right out of the box. Now if you were to get just the F16 air frame and put your own electronics in it and put a 700-800 watt power system in it then I would agree the F16 is a better overall flying airplane.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post

Habu Strong Points:
Better belly lander

FMS f16 Strong Points:
Faster
I completely agree with everything except the hand launch part. I don't think i've ever flown a plane(micros excluded) that hand launched easier than a habu. You just grab underhand behind the wing and in front of the tail. point it up 40* or so, give full throttle and then step forward and with a underhand softball like throw toss it forward at about 15* nose high. It will settle down to about 3ft into ground effect and then accelerate right out. No steroid football throw required.

Quote:

First of all the f-16 is a scale fighter. Fighters are inherently unstable. It is a desired trait in a fighter. The real F-16 can't be flown by hand for more than a min or so. This translates to mean that it will be less forgiving, easier to depart any flight attitude, and most likely more maneuverable. This also means that stall characteristics are going to be hard and abrupt.
Now the Habu is a fictional sport jet. By definition it is inherently stable. The plane wants to fly on the wing and will try to get back to doing so on its own it controls are centered. It has a little more mass and penetrates winds well. I just flew mine tonight in winds: 9.2 mph gusting to 21.9 mph. I never once felt like I was at the mercy of the winds even in those strong gusts.

As to buggering it up.... It is 5x more durable than any of the FMS birds. Thicker high quality foam. I belly land so I took .5oz fiberglass and gassed the bottom. And I too have never stuffed my habu. Though I am 110% sure that in the exact same situations I would have stuffed a F-16 at least 4 different times. It really is that much more forgiving!

It seems kinda silly comparing a fighter to a sport jet saying one flies better. They both fly better than the other when doing what they were designed to do.

Bottom line I prefer my Habu. It suits my mission perfectly.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
I had a fms f16 and although the foam looks great with no beads it dents very easily and on my maiden my f16 flew very unstable and crashed. I don't know if the cg was off but it was a horror in the air. And I have crashed my habu straight into the ground and fixed it but with the f16 it was a junker after the crash. Z foam is amazing.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Between the two fms f16s I have had I had mulitple good hang launchs and only two bad ones. However both bad ones did a lot of damage to the plane.

With the Habu I have had two and only two good hand launchs. Once by some one else throwing it and once with me. I used up to batteries trying to get it to take hand launch and gave up when the plane finally broke.

I glued what broke back togather and tried again a different day. Same results. I can't get a good hand lauch with the Habu but what I can say is unlike the FMS f16 it can really take a beating.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Quote:
... All foam edf 70mm for $299. ... What makes it worth $299? ...
If you don't care about having all the electronics installed, you can buy just the bare airframe for a lot less ... and install your own components.

That's what I did, and you can see a few more pics on my blog:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1726646&pp=100

It's a well-engineered quality foam kit, and the bare airframe price is quite reasonable imo

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
--After numerous flights on 4s and 5s, the output shaft bearing housing is wobbled out most likely due to unbalanced fan

--My next eflight fan I will probably send to effluxrc or tamjets to get balanced
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--After numerous flights on 4s and 5s, the output shaft bearing housing is wobbled out most likely due to unbalanced fan

--My next eflight fan I will probably send to effluxrc or tamjets to get balanced
I just replied to you in Habu 32 thread, Not sure which Habu you have, but we have many setups for the Habu 2 as well.

We don't stock the 70mm E-flite fan, but we can balance yours (NIB only)
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

with a choice of many 70mm motors. (and EDFs) from 4s-6s.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Crazy Pilot-gone insane...
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
117 Posts
My new Habu 2

Hi all,

I just wanted to say how much I love this plane. I have owned the first version, and now I just bought the 2 and flew this plane @ the NEAT fair. All I can say is wow.

Bone stock, I got a diving pass on 4s at just a hair over 110 (recorded with an eagletree elogger).

Then, I just threw a Thunderpower 3300 65c 5s in for fun (again, bone stock) and ended up at 124.1, downwind and out of a dive.

I love this plane!

Best,

Chris
harttvboy is offline Find More Posts by harttvboy