HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Our Velocity 2860-3700 (3700kv) motors will run all day long on 4s. They are 60mm long. (~70A @ 1100W - 75A ESC required)
http://www.effluxrc.com/Velocity-370...V2860-3700.htm
The motor will also run on 5s, with a heat sink and throttle management. (100A ESC req'd)
The shafts are 4mm dia, but must be shortened and have a flat added to fit the E-Flite fan.
Can this motor be used in the stock fan/housing? On 4S you listed 70A @1100W what fan was this using? How does it compare thrust/speed wise to stock? This motor weighs nearly 2x the stock motor. Does it affect the CG? I think the fan is pretty much on the CG but this motor looks REALLY long and I'd think it'd push the CG back a little...

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
Yes,it will move CG back a little,move battery forwards a little.There is nothing for free in EDFs.The extra weight of motor with can and windings will handle more heat and be able to dissapate it better.The performance of course will really improve, over 500 watts more will be noticed! I have triple the stock power and can takeoff in grass in shorter time then stock can takeoff a runway, and I go straight to verticle. It all depends on what YOU want. Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--Option #1 right there

--Prof--

-You did not mention what performance your looking for or size packs preferred--4s, 5s, or both(I prefer abilty to use either for more flights)
-Shaft size will be the biggest factor of motor/fan compatability
Thanks, I have 3 Don's Wicked BI3600 inrunners and HET FAN I could install that deliver 1100 watts on a 4S, but would prefer a 5S motor. Gary's option on 5S has the ever present "caution sign" associated with using it on a 5S.

Here is another option from Gary and it's 3200 kv with 4 mm shaft.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Velocity-Hig...28-60-3200.htm

Any information on power on 5S would be nice.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:25 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Yes,it will move CG back a little,move battery forwards a little.There is nothing for free in EDFs.The extra weight of motor with can and windings will handle more heat and be able to dissapate it better.The performance of course will really improve, over 500 watts more will be noticed! I have triple the stock power and can takeoff in grass in shorter time then stock can takeoff a runway, and I go straight to verticle. It all depends on what YOU want. Joe
I take it you use this 3700kv motor. I am using ThunderPower 3900mAh 4S packs. These are slightly heavier than the stock 3200mAh packs.
What fan/housing are you using?

I have tons of room in the front as I moved the ESC to the intake ducting, So adjusting the CG up to 1/2inch forward is relatively easy. The main reason I'm looking to switch is I'd like to run retracts and with the added weight I wanted to have more power. I fly off a rough grass field.

-Brian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
habu omg too expensive

Went into the local hobby store, the Parkzone habu all dressed up in thunderbird colors. all foam edf 70mm for $299. I saw this and went ok i can understand $199, but $299???????

they have no retracts, no thrust vector, no smoke system or drag chute or pilot ejection. No LED lights. What makes it worth $299?

I can buy one of the best EDF's on the market, Freewing su34 with everything included for $169. used to be $199. So i ask what makes this worth $299?
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
No,but I have this motor in another setup.Its a pretty bullit proof setup for H2.
I run Mach alloy fan and a Mega 16/45/1 on 6s 3300 65c batteries.
Thats how I get away with the battery and ESC up front.Counter balance is the key to high powered setups.
I fly off of rough grass also....
Habu 2 @ field (2 min 7 sec)
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@wargassm

I owned a Freewing edf jet before and it was the biggest pile of junk ever.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:27 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
Went into the local hobby store, the Parkzone habu all dressed up in thunderbird colors. all foam edf 70mm for $299. I saw this and went ok i can understand $199, but $299???????

they have no retracts, no thrust vector, no smoke system or drag chute or pilot ejection. No LED lights. What makes it worth $299?

I can buy one of the best EDF's on the market, Freewing su34 with everything included for $169. used to be $199. So i ask what makes this worth $299?
It costs $299 because you don't have to go through the trouble of upgrading every servo, removing useless "features" like pilot ejection, drag chutes, and e-smoke. It will work as advertised right out of the box with no modifications. It will be as stable at 15-20mph as it is at 90mph. I have yet to see a nitoplanes/bananahobby/hobbyking plane fly even half as well as a similar Parkzone/Eflite plane out of the box. Now granted you could take that freewing, replace all the serovs with quality metal geared hitecs (or whatever brand you like) upgrade the motor and fan and it would fly great. But now your $169 EDF costs closer to $299 and you've had to do all the work.

If you love to tinker than the cheap ones are great, if you want to fly you can't go wrong with the parkzone planes.

-Brian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
@wargassm

I owned a Freewing edf jet before and it was the biggest pile of junk ever.
current production models from FMS and freewing are better than Habu or Habu2.

I've seen the Habu in action and frankly i flew circles around it with my FMS F16 and another person flew thier su34 from freewing. Both out flew the habu so tell me what makes this worth $299?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
current production models from FMS and freewing are better than Habu or Habu2.

I've seen the Habu in action and frankly i flew circles around it with my FMS F16 and another person flew thier su34 from freewing. Both out flew the habu so tell me what makes this worth $299?
Really? I've see the FMS f-16 and bone stock the Habu V1 destroys it in fly-ability. The f-16 is faster but has nowhere near the flight envelope.

You're confusing speed with quality. I could build an EDF model AIM-9 Sidewinder missle that would be stupid fast but I wouldn't call it better.....

-Brian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
It costs $299 because you don't have to go through the trouble of upgrading every servo, removing useless "features" like pilot ejection, drag chutes, and e-smoke. It will work as advertised right out of the box with no modifications. It will be as stable at 15-20mph as it is at 90mph. I have yet to see a nitoplanes/bananahobby/hobbyking plane fly even half as well as a similar Parkzone/Eflite plane out of the box. Now granted you could take that freewing, replace all the serovs with quality metal geared hitecs (or whatever brand you like) upgrade the motor and fan and it would fly great. But now your $169 EDF costs closer to $299 and you've had to do all the work.

If you love to tinker than the cheap ones are great, if you want to fly you can't go wrong with the parkzone planes.

-Brian
I hear what your saying, and in some part it makes sense. Normally i dont swap out servos, i leave stock in and i've rarely had an issue. Sure you loose a servo here and there but for the most part it hasnt been an issue. Guess im lucky

if i did switch out the servos id use MG Tpro. i like them better than hitec, $6 per vs $18-22 per is pretty good.

Lately many of the manufacturers like FMS and Freewing are including MG servos on their planes. SU35 has them on the elevators. I dont see a need for them on alierons or rudder, maybe for steering but thats it. Since their realatively priced, lets look @ the FW su35.

SU35 is twin 70mm, has Thrust vectoring. stock setup is plenty fast (100mph) and has retracts. Granted the rear retracts can have issues but normal maintenance ever 5-6 flights can prevent any real issues. Same goes for any plane.

What do you get with Habu2 for $20 more? Look im trying to find an excuse to buy this and it's rather difficult for me to buy a non military edf at this cost.

Works right out of the box doesn't work for me. I have many planes with the exact same benifit. id say 80% of my EDF's have worked flawlessly right out of the box. Is it the electronics? beefed up? Power wires are size 10AWG vs 14AWG? What sets this EDF apart from the rest?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Really? I've see the FMS f-16 and bone stock the Habu V1 destroys it in fly-ability. The f-16 is faster but has nowhere near the flight envelope.

You're confusing speed with quality. I could build an EDF model AIM-9 Sidewinder missle that would be stupid fast but I wouldn't call it better.....

-Brian
please explain what you mean by flight envelope. What quality issues are you refering? I've had a few FMS F16's, 2 of them with over 400+ flights ( i get about 8-10 flights ) on Sat then Sun i get around the same.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
please explain what you mean by flight envelope. What quality issues are you refering? I've had a few FMS F16's, 2 of them with over 400+ flights ( i get about 8-10 flights ) on Sat then Sun i get around the same.
Flight Envelope meaning the control-ability at various speeds. Not just by thrust vectoring but the primary flight controls (ailerons, rudder, elevator). I routinely do rock solid low speed high alpha passes at my field to show people how great this plane really flies. The Habu was designed as a stable first EDF for someone. It is forgiving and allows people who are transitioning from prop planes. Most EDFs will really bite you hard if you get them slow as without airflow over the control surfaces you have very little control. The Habu is still very controllable all the way down to stall speed, which as I mentioned, is incredibly slow.

You've been really lucky to not have servo failures on those birds. But on the Habu servo failures are very few and far between.

I guess you could compare it to buying a Honda civic vs buying a Cadillac. They'll both get you where your going and after changing some parts the honda may even be faster, but the Cadillac will be more refined and probably last longer.
Comparing the SU35
1) it is a twin so requires bigger batteries. Could be a plus or minus depending on what you have... for me it is a minus as they cost much more and I have share 4 cell packs in all my planes. Habu, 3dhs 57" Extra, and future 71" slick.

2)Thrust vectoring. To me it is kinda overrated, I mean I can do so much more on my 3dhs plane. If I want crazy aero I'll fly that one. The freewing/FMS need TV to fly well at slow speeds the habu doesn't. Again not really a plus of minus on either except the extra servos($) needed to move the nozzle.

3)"SU-35 stock setup is plenty fast (100mph) and has retracts. Granted the rear retracts can have issues but normal maintenance ever 5-6 flights can prevent any real issues." -- Stock Habu it about 90mph so that's really close. Retract pockets are molded into the H2 wings and the E-flite retracts are bulletproof and once setup can honestly be check twice a year. (Though I strongly recommend doing it every 10 flights)

It just boils down to quality. The Habu is in general a bit better quality than the others mentioned.

I will say that if you are an accomplished EDF pilot already the habu might be slightly underwhelming. Like I stated from the start it was designed to be beginner friendly.
Changing the ESC to a 75+amp unit and using a 5S pack will transform it into a much faster plane though. But now we're getting into modifications....

-Brian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
ok i see what your getting at..

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Thanks, I have 3 Don's Wicked BI3600 inrunners and HET FAN I could install that deliver 1100 watts on a 4S, but would prefer a 5S motor. Gary's option on 5S has the ever present "caution sign" associated with using it on a 5S.

Here is another option from Gary and it's 3200 kv with 4 mm shaft.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Velocity-Hig...28-60-3200.htm

Any information on power on 5S would be nice.

--I only got around 950ish watts- 68 amps with BI3600 - HET fan on 2650 4s(worked great but mine eventually burned out)

--3200kv velocity motor would probably perform like stock motor on 4s or 5s--just heavier
--3700kv velocity motor would probably perform better on 4s than stock motor on 5s -- and still be able to handle 5s-- just use heatsink--larger motor would also balance better in Habu with bigger packs
--HET fan will probably pull more amps than stock fan

--Now I want one--
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse