SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,609 Posts
Eagletree Guardian in Habu

Since I have a few of the new Eagletree Guardian 2D-3D stabilizers I decided to try one in my Habu. I experimented with them first in a Superfly delta foamy and a 40" wingspan scratchbuilt delta. The Guardian has many parameters to adjust and I spent a month learning the ins and outs of the amazing device. It uses accelerometers and a 3 axis gyro. 2D mode has wing leveling and heading hold 3D has heading hold as well. The major benefit of this device is it drastically increases flying days. I have flown the little Superfly in 30 mph gusty days when giant scale planes were grounded. It's an amazing device. Now my Habu has one. I have not yet flown it since the installation but will do so this weekend (weather permitting).
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:09 PM
Super-duper Airplane flooper
USA, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
54 Posts
I posted on Horizon's Facebook page that I was a little disappointed in the H2. I think I upset them:

Paul RebresHorizon Hobby
Yesterday at 3:33pm near Burgettstown
I have to say, I am a little disapointed in the performance of the Habu 2. As a Habu 1 owner, I couldnt wait to get my hands on one. I found one, and flew it last weekend at the DOGS. It is at least 15 mph slower than the original.
Draven Martin and Corey Vadasz like this.

Travis Lab its because they beefed it up and added other stuff without upgrading the power plant.....i think
Yesterday at 3:50pm Like

Adrian Apodaca You HAD to say it?
23 hours ago Like 2

Paul Rebres Travis, you are right. Im going to have to put a 5 cell in.
23 hours ago via mobile Like

Ryan Becker Did you add retracts too? Heard that slows it down even more...
22 hours ago Like

John Redman In stock trim out of the box with no flaps and fixed gear it is the same airplane. If you add the flaps and retracts it adds some weight which will cause a loss in performance. But I sincerely doubt it is 15mph slower.
22 hours ago via mobile Like 2

Paul Rebres Well I added the retracts, so...
21 hours ago via mobile Like

John Redman So you have picked up a few ounces and a bit of drag in the nose. I would guess you are a few mph slower than the original. How did you happen to fly your original? With or without gear?
21 hours ago via mobile Like 4

Paul Rebres Original was with fixed gear.
8 hours ago via mobile Like
TFOA is offline Find More Posts by TFOA
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@TFOA

There's no difference between v1 and v2 in terms of weight or performance. BUT if you add retracts and/or flaps, it OBVIOUSLY adds a substantial amount of weight. That added weight will absolutely slow your v2 down. But straight out of the box, they are the same.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Since I have a few of the new Eagletree Guardian 2D-3D stabilizers I decided to try one in my Habu. I experimented with them first in a Superfly delta foamy and a 40" wingspan scratchbuilt delta. The Guardian has many parameters to adjust and I spent a month learning the ins and outs of the amazing device. It uses accelerometers and a 3 axis gyro. 2D mode has wing leveling and heading hold 3D has heading hold as well. The major benefit of this device is it drastically increases flying days. I have flown the little Superfly in 30 mph gusty days when giant scale planes were grounded. It's an amazing device. Now my Habu has one. I have not yet flown it since the installation but will do so this weekend (weather permitting).
I have one of these but haven't installed it in anything yet. The thing I have noticed about stabilizers (I have an FY30A and a couple of the HK Orange) is they seem to "dumb" down the control surfaces to where you have less throw. Does the guardian do the same thing?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I have one of these but haven't installed it in anything yet. The thing I have noticed about stabilizers (I have an FY30A and a couple of the HK Orange) is they seem to "dumb" down the control surfaces to where you have less throw. Does the guardian do the same thing?
My 40" elevon delta and a Superfly are on Guardians and I fly in 3D and launch in 2D. Roll rates are as before in 3D. The 2D mode will fight aerobatics in default mode. I even fly with Heading Hold turned on. The only downside is the plane takes so little effort to fly that when you fly a plane without a Guardian you have to remind yourself to pay attention and stay on the sticks.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 07, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I can understand the usefulness of using stabilizers in certain windy conditions, but under normal flying weather, doesn't it sort of take some of the "fun" out of flying?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
I can understand the usefulness of using stabilizers in certain windy conditions, but under normal flying weather, doesn't it sort of take some of the "fun" out of flying?
It is fun and much more relaxing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,503 Posts
Quote:
My issue is I live in New Mexico and the wind blows all the time...lol. That is the good thing about these and the FY30A...you can turn them on/off in flight. The down side for me with the HK Orange stabilizers is that you can't do that with them. I have an FY30A on my 1600mm P-51 and I think I've only had it on a couple of times...so for me it isn't something that takes the fun out of flying but enables me to fly when I otherwise wouldn't because of too high of wind. Even with wind, the most beneficial thing for me is during takeoff and landing when wind can unexpectedly gust or blow from different directions and the stab will keep you straight and level.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,942 Posts
On other planes, I have found that a little increase in weight does not cause a notable difference in cruise speed at level flight. You will notice a climb difference and it will seem more sluggish in vertical maneuvers. But the retracts and flaps are only adding a few ounces, and I doubt that would slow this bird down that much.

We know what the Habu does in level flight w/o gear (90-100mph). I would love to see someone get numbers for a gear-up Habu 2.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:44 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
We know what the Habu does in level flight w/o gear (90-100mph)

Wow, my all stock Habu 1 (on 4s and no gear) was no where near 90-100mph straight and level--you must have got a good one!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
90-100 mph stock... Can anyone verify these numbers? They don't sound accurate to me.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
90-100 mph stock... Can anyone verify these numbers? They don't sound accurate to me.

More like 70-80 mph......
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:48 AM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
578 Posts
i am getting 120mph at sea level with a 50c 4s lipo and a het fan with a 4200kv motor. granted its spinning some serious rpms and hits 100amps at full
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
I've had mine Radar gunned 3 times. Every time the average about 90. Out of a dive I'd had 104, 107, and once 114 but there was a 8-10mph breeze that day.

Straight and level I was getting 87(last min of that pack), 92, 94.

Completely stock fan/motor/ESC. ThunderPower 3900mAh 25C packs. I'm sure that if I was using TP3300 65C packs I'd see another 3-4mph.

This was with no gear, hand launching, and belly landing. The only mod was .5oz glass on the bottom with 3 coats of polycrylic to prevent rash on belly landings.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Maidened my Habu 2 Saturday and I am totally pleased with it. I am running all stock components with the flaps and retracts option....and one ounce of #8 shot and epoxy in the tail cone to get the balance at 4". Battery power is 4S 3300 30C Turnigy.

I fly off a grass field that is 450' long and even with a heavy dew, after about 150' I felt it had plenty of speed to apply backpressure on the elevator for liftoff, and liftoff it did. Good climb out, raise the gear and flaps add a couple clicks of up and left trin and it was on rails. Plenty fast for me with a stock setup, we did the doppler thingy on an iPhone app and got 83mph on one pass and 87mph on the downwind pass, winds were real light at less than 5mph.

Landings were a snap, full flaps and it just foated in with a short roll out.

I am going to add about 5% down elevator mix with half flaps and maybe 10% with full flaps as it does want to pitch up with the application of flaps.

This is my first EDF, I have been flying 3D HobbyShops AJ Slicks for the last 3 years and other aerobatic monoplanes for the last 10 or so years. My Habu 2 will not hover, but my Slicks will not hit almost 90mph.

Lovin my Habu2

Kurtzz
Kurtzz is offline Find More Posts by Kurtzz