Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
@effluxrc

If the desire is to reduce the amp draw and maintain the same power level, by going to 6s, what would be the reason? To avoid over amping the ESC? IF that's the reason, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just upgrade the ESC to a higher amp rating? Sorry, the whole point of all this kind of got lost in my brain!
The whole point of post #654 was to explain how to reduce the amp draw by going to 6s.

The power is the same.
The watts is the same.
The rpms are the same.

The amps are lower (and the voltage is higher) with 6s......using a 2133 (or about) motor.

That was the whole exercise as was Wallyboy's? desire.
.................................................. ............................................

Most folks are looking for more speed by going to a higher cell count.
Some folks look for more speed by using only a higher kv motor than stock, (with a 4s count, big bigger lipos) but the amps go waay up.

Either is not the case here.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
@effluxrc

If the desire is to reduce the amp draw and maintain the same power level, by going to 6s, what would be the reason? To avoid over amping the ESC? IF that's the reason, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just upgrade the ESC to a higher amp rating? Sorry, the whole point of all this kind of got lost in my brain!
Applying what @efflux said with his example:

If you plan to run the stock motor on 5s switch to a larger esc. I tested mine on the watt meter and saw I was pulling 65 amps.

A 6s setup on a 2700kv motor will allow you to have the same performance as running the stock motor on 5s but will draw amps closer to watt the stock setup does on 4s.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Nah I got sidetracked onto a subject regarding a different plane. The wemo fans can only handle a certain amount of rpms and my motors can exceed that quite easily. I wanted to limit this with modified throttle curve not to reduce the current but to limit the rpms so the plane flies more scale and not like a funjet.
I completely understand the controller function and how the motor see full current at a frequency relevant to the throttle input. I am not trying to reduce the amps because the esc can handle full current. I know I can buy more motors with a lower kv to also reduce rpm. Or use a lower voltage blah blah. I am just saying that one could produce the same power output of a lesser voltage setup as with a higher voltage setup and reduce the current.
I refered to my other edf (not a habu) that has a lot of thrust. By programming flights modes with different throttle curves I can go from funjet style flying at full throttle to more scale flying with the flick of a switch. More importantly I can fly with only the rpms I need and not have to worry about throttle management because the throttle is limited to the curve programmed in a flight mode.
Sorry about the confusion, but it appears that I really needed to explain myself.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Nah I got sidetracked onto a subject regarding a different plane. The wemo fans can only handle a certain amount of rpms and my motors can exceed that quite easily. I wanted to limit this with modified throttle curve not to reduce the current but to limit the rpms so the plane flies more scale and not like a funjet.
I completely understand the controller function and how the motor see full current at a frequency relevant to the throttle input. I am not trying to reduce the amps because the esc can handle full current. I know I can buy more motors with a lower kv to also reduce rpm. Or use a lower voltage blah blah. I am just saying that one could produce the same power output of a lesser voltage setup as with a higher voltage setup and reduce the current.
I refered to my other edf (not a habu) that has a lot of thrust. By programming flights modes with different throttle curves I can go from funjet style flying at full throttle to more scale flying with the flick of a switch. More importantly I can fly with only the rpms I need and not have to worry about throttle management because the throttle is limited to the curve programmed in a flight mode.
Sorry about the confusion, but it appears that I really needed to explain myself.
Thanks for the clarification.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,848 Posts
The burst rate for the Pro 60 ESC is 75 amp for 15 sec. Are folks trading up to the Pro 80 because of the heat using 5S, or just the max amps going over 60 amp (continuous).

I would like to know if anyone tried keeping the stock ESC on 5S and if it worked. The spec says it should be fine.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
The burst rate for the Pro 60 ESC is 75 amp for 15 sec. Are folks trading up to the Pro 80 because of the heat using 5S, or just the max amps going over 60 amp (continuous).

I would like to know if anyone tried keeping the stock ESC on 5S and if it worked. The spec says it should be fine.
You want headroom for any ESC application. There have been posts of guys running a 5S with the stock ESC but they never report back when it melts down and the plane crashes. It would be too much like eating crow. I run a 5S with a Hobbywing 80 amp ESC and it gets very warm if I have a spirited flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:

I have on one in the past but I was at 61amp on that system and it worked fine. My buddy saw me doing that and we measured his and he was at 69 amps but still gave it a whirl. He had a thermal shut down about a minute in but 5s stuck with him as he upgraded to an 80amp esc that week. On my current Habu 2 I didn't even try and just replaced it with an 80 amp hobbywing and sold my 60 amp and still came out ahead in $$$.
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:28 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:

Burst rating is just that, burst. 5S runs at 65 continuous. It will probably work for a few flights but it will eventually melt and you'll have a habu lawn dart. When you spec and ESC you want headroom and to be safe always pick an ESC that is the next step up from the highest recorded amps you measure on the motor/fan combo.
In this case 65 measured so a 70+ should be fine, in my case I like CC so the CC75 would be the right choice.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmett75 View Post
Got mine all done and ready to maiden this weekend. She is out fitted with a TJ70 fan with the changsun 10 bladed rotor. All stock servos and eflite retracts. It is all stock except the power system. I did use the dremel and sanding disk to open the battery well to except a 6s 3300 65c nano tech battery. esc is the cc lite ice 100. Here are some photos.
Nice work on the 6s setup and moved ESC. How many caps did you use for the long battery leads?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmett75 View Post
Got mine all done and ready to maiden this weekend. She is out fitted with a TJ70 fan with the changsun 10 bladed rotor. All stock servos and eflite retracts. It is all stock except the power system. I did use the dremel and sanding disk to open the battery well to except a 6s 3300 65c nano tech battery. esc is the cc lite ice 100. Here are some photos.
Hi mate, I just did the same mod to mine, running an EXTREME 70mm ALLOY 10 BLADE FAN & HET MOTOR 6s 900+W. I to moved the esc into the air duct for betta cooling. Also i set mine up as flapperons instead of installing 2 extra servo's. How did you find the CG with the 6S Lipo and retracts installed? Cheers

Photo's & footage up soon......
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:30 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
Hi mate, I just did the same mod to mine, running an EXTREME 70mm ALLOY 10 BLADE FAN & HET MOTOR 6s 900+W. I to moved the esc into the air duct for betta cooling. Also i set mine up as flapperons instead of installing 2 extra servo's. How did you find the CG with the 6S Lipo and retracts installed? Cheers

Photo's & footage up soon......
Any speed readings from this setup???
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Any speed readings from this setup???
not yet hopefully soon.
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:42 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
@effluxrc

For most folks it's not. Most who go to higher cell counts are looking for more speed. That was covered in the posts above.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@effluxrc

I'm fully aware that most people go to a higher cell count for more speed. That's actually the whole reason I asked the question in the first place..."why go to a higher cell count and then limit the throttle?" I couldn't see the reason behind it. But Whalleyboy answered it in post #663 and it's clear now how the whole line of questioning got started in the first place.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,848 Posts
Thanks guys for the info on 5S with stock ESC. Just the explaination I was looking for. Looks like it pushes the stock ESC too hard, but the Pro 80 is an easy upgrade.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge