HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:40 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Ive had a half dozen succesful flights with other batteries...
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
My buddies are questioning the power switch thats in the fuse... I dont think it is likely because you can't josstle it on or off if you tried.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I would think it's possible for a bad solder joint to cut power completely. It could also cause the problem to be intermittent which makes it even more hard to trouble shoot. Sometimes you can find it by moving the wires around to see if power is lost. I'm not saying this is THE problem. Just putting out possible causes.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
My buddies are questioning the power switch thats in the fuse... I dont think it is likely because you can't josstle it on or off if you tried.
I HATE power switches on ESCs. Don't rule out any possibility. The switch may not be getting jossled on and off, BUT the switch itself might bad. I've had that happen also.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,688 Posts
My first thought when I read your post was that the internal BEC is simply not up to the task and that is still my thought. Two batteries tested with the same result is a pretty good indication that it's not the packs. Unless the brand you are using are downright terrible. Were you retracting the landing gear at about the same time as the power outage?
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
My first failure happened with a 4s 30c 2200 pack just after take off when I was at full throttle and looking at retracting wheels and lifting flaps...
The second time was with a 3600mAh 30C pack of the same brand and this occured at the same point into flight.
On both accounts the bec may have been pushed to the max but the first failure trigered soft cutoff and the second was an outright power loss on everything. (mind you, it may have been too far away to hear motor pulses and the battery slammed up into the nose shutting the switch off at impact)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@whalleyboy

IF you find that your ESC is faulty, I have a BRAND NEW (never flown) stock esc that I'll give you for a reasonable price. Just PM me if you want it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Ok I will let you know how the furthur testing goes. I didn't want to change out this plane and make it into something else. I am building a composite twin 70mm raptor that can pump nearly 4000 watts and 14lbs thrust... I just want a fun edf to tie me over until the raptor is done.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Ive had a half dozen succesful flights with other batteries...
If other batteries work and the two other ones do not then you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know what to check first. Fire up that watt meter and read the voltage drop under load.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
TJ70 CS70-10 blade rotor PNP

Has anyone installed and flown one of these TamJets units in the Habu ????
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
I know its been done on V1.
Josef086 is online now Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Bursted 20 secs from 4.16 dipped down to 3.71 lowest cell 3.71 3.73 3.74

14.17v
41.6amps
615.2 watts
Logger 5.6v

Ok so the results on the battery test are in! I used my wattmeter, battery tester and my Spektrum data logger seeing how there is a slot for it on the rx.

The first battery, the one that was last used when the plane malfunctioned the day earlier, still had 4.17v per cell left on it before the test. I held the throttle full out for 25 seconds while watching the wattmeter and the cell tester. The very lowest cell was measuring 3.71 volts under load while producing 615 watts @ 41.6 amps. The other cells were 3.74, 3.73, 3.73 respectively.
My friend held the plane steady while I worked all the servos and retracts simultaneously. The data logger measured no less than 5.6 volts on the rx at any time.
I had the other battery that was used during the initial failure to test still. Now this one had been used in another flight in a different plane and charged up again since then. I had already tested it with the Hyperion cell analyzer and saw no real imbalance. This test had also produced very similar results. I do expect some voltage sagging to happen but these results don't even come close to low voltage cutoff. The controller had also chirped 4 times on power up, so it was also reading 4s.
Now my friend who had been doubting the switch had tried to interupt the test by shaking and moving the switch about to see if anything would happen. Nothing did unless of course you forcibly move the toggle about. I think it is just too easy to blame it on the switch not just once but on both accounts of power failure. But then again nothing else is making much sense either?!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Did you put any force on your servos to simulate load? With air pushing against them, current might rise, just something else to check... Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
No thats a good point though, I should have done that too but my hands were full. Lol
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Bursted 20 secs from 4.16 dipped down to 3.71 lowest cell 3.71 3.73 3.74

14.17v
41.6amps
615.2 watts
Logger 5.6v

Ok so the results on the battery test are in! I used my wattmeter, battery tester and my Spektrum data logger seeing how there is a slot for it on the rx.

The first battery, the one that was last used when the plane malfunctioned the day earlier, still had 4.17v per cell left on it before the test. I held the throttle full out for 25 seconds while watching the wattmeter and the cell tester. The very lowest cell was measuring 3.71 volts under load while producing 615 watts @ 41.6 amps. The other cells were 3.74, 3.73, 3.73 respectively.
My friend held the plane steady while I worked all the servos and retracts simultaneously. The data logger measured no less than 5.6 volts on the rx at any time.
I had the other battery that was used during the initial failure to test still. Now this one had been used in another flight in a different plane and charged up again since then. I had already tested it with the Hyperion cell analyzer and saw no real imbalance. This test had also produced very similar results. I do expect some voltage sagging to happen but these results don't even come close to low voltage cutoff. The controller had also chirped 4 times on power up, so it was also reading 4s.
Now my friend who had been doubting the switch had tried to interupt the test by shaking and moving the switch about to see if anything would happen. Nothing did unless of course you forcibly move the toggle about. I think it is just too easy to blame it on the switch not just once but on both accounts of power failure. But then again nothing else is making much sense either?!
It is not the battery sagging. Try a new ESC.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member