Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
I got the e-flite retracts installed and an 80 Amp esc installed last night. Took the plane out today and it was significantly faster. I didn't check my CG, but I needed no changes in trim with a 5s 3300mh pack so I'm good. Here's the video of today's flight. I think this battery wasn't fully charged as the next flight with a new battery the plane was noticeably faster also same duration flight this battery came down with 24% left the new on had 52% and they are both GensAce 3300mh 5s packs. In any I'm happy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIp59eIURjk
Impressive flight and video. Well done. And yes, the 5S really makes a Habu the EDF we all wanted it to be. I find my 5S powered original Habu climbs out higher than I want to fly because I hate losing orientation.

Again, nicely executed.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,933 Posts
Nice flight. How much can you slow it down for landing with the flaps? Seems like it was still pretty fast when it touched down.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Nice flight. How much can you slow it down for landing with the flaps? Seems like it was still pretty fast when it touched down.
That was only the 2nd flight with flaps, first was much slower, but I'm still experimenting with it. I guess I'm used to Habu 32 speed for landing.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
I see what you mean, and altough I think it will not decrease drag by a cent(imeter ) I agree with you about the weight, I fitted mine with full house retracts and flaps, and I am seriously UNimpressed with it's performance. (Initially I had it fitted with a 10 blade fan and motor combo from HK, but that performed even worse, so I went back to stock) So I am considering to pull out the retracts and stick the wheels back into the wings and fuse to get a more decent performance out of it.
What did you run the 10 blade combo on 4S? I'm surprised it didn't perform?
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
That was only the 2nd flight with flaps, first was much slower, but I'm still experimenting with it. I guess I'm used to Habu 32 speed for landing.
Yeah that was kinda fast but with the weight of the gear, flaps servos, and most likely lead in the tail to make it balance I'd guess all that weight would lead to slightly faster landings. One thing I noticed was on your base you gave it a fair bit of throttle, then on final you were a bit high and went to idle and pointed the nose down to glide it in. I'd wager that if you didn't hit that throttle on base and just let it continue sinking all the way in your final would start lower with a shallower slope so it wont pick up speed as much. I've never played with flaps so I don't know how effective they are at keeping the plane slow on descents.

Regardless it was a nice flight!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
second flight with the mounted flush with the intake was the ticket.... no more overheating issues.

those of you using 5s lipo and retracts, are you placing the battery in the stock location or are you moving it all the way back as far as it can go in the fuse?
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Mine is still in the stock location as I haven't cut any foam, but I was going to if it was needed.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
What did you run the 10 blade combo on 4S? I'm surprised it didn't perform?
Yeah, on Turnigy 4S (30C). It accellerates and flies, but it feels underpowered, and it is not exactly a speed demon when it flies by. I think the Habu should have been sold as a 5S plane.
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, on Turnigy 4S (30C). It accellerates and flies, but it feels underpowered, and it is not exactly a speed demon when it flies by. I think the Habu should have been sold as a 5S plane.
Why? It flies just fine on 4s, even with the added weight of flaps and retracts.

It's intended as a 1st or fun EDF, and it works well in both roles.
kevinrc is online now Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
I agree with Kevinrc, I fly a bone stock power system on my Habu. I get 80-90mph passes and 100+out of a dive. That is plenty fast. I know that EDFs can easily get 130-140 but the slow speed flight on these models is terrible! The habu in completely happy in the pattern in the 20s mph wise. This makes for an easy to launch, fly, and land in one piece plane. I think that 5S is a great option and you probably don't lose much in upgrading except flight time. But 4S was probably a better choice for power component longevity. Also the parkzone line lives on 3S and 4S packs. If anyone has other parkzone/eflite planes they're happy they can change batteries between planes. Finally, chargers: HH already has the small parkzone chargers for 4S. This saves money in development and lets the plane cost remain lower.

just my 2cents,

-Brian
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Maidened mine tonight and I was expecting it to be faster. Still very happy with it but have a thirst for a fast plane that still needs quenching. I guess being my first edf, it serves as a much needed learning curve which is the way I'm viewing it.

PS. Can you modify it to run two 3S batteries in tandem thus making it a 6S setup?
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Takeoff

Parkzone Habu 2 EDF Jet Maiden Voyage - takeoff at Davidstow Airfield (0 min 58 sec)

Flight and landing

Parkzone Habu 2 EDF Jet flight and sketchy landing at Davidstow Airfield (2 min 9 sec)
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Maidened mine tonight and I was expecting it to be faster. Still very happy with it but have a thirst for a fast plane that still needs quenching. I guess being my first edf, it serves as a much needed learning curve which is the way I'm viewing it.

PS. Can you modify it to run two 3S batteries in tandem thus making it a 6S setup?
5S is do-able with just an ESC change, 6S will require a new: ESC, Fan, motor, housing, and overhauling of the battery tray area. I'd strongly recommend not doing the 6S setup unless you really know what you're doing.

5S is an easy effective upgrade with minimal investment and work. However you'll need batteries as well.

Landing video: all that runway and you landed in the grass!

-Brian
Last edited by kalmon; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Here's one with our 5s setup in it. The motor is 6s capable as well.
We also have the Velocity 60mm long motors for 5s in the Stock fan.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Velocity-370...V2860-3700.htm

MEGA motors (62mm long) with 4mm Shafts to fit the Stock E-Flite fan, Coming in soon. (for 5s or 6s)
PM if your interested.

efflux RC presents.....Dan's Habu 2 (5 min 0 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:34 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Yes, but as kalmon pointed out it requires a lot of parts. I considered it, and decided to fly the airplane with original components.

I'll put the money into a new Corsair, if Parkzone ever ships it.
kevinrc is online now Find More Posts by kevinrc