HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrc View Post
I'm contemplating going to 6s using two 3s batteries.

What size batteries have you used? What flight times do you get with them?
To run 6S you'll need a new ESC, new motor, if you're removing it should get a new efflux RC or Tamjets housing and fan.

Don't get me wrong I've heard it flies great on these setups, but you're talking MAJOR surgery and basically a whole new power system.

5S is doable on the stock motor, I've heard people using 3000-3300mAh on 5S. Just be ready to add even more weight to that tailcone When you get your CC ESC I'd strongly suggest mounting it in the intake ducting like some of the pictures in this and the V1 thread show. You'll probably be able to remove most of that lead and keep the CG.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtzz View Post
With the stock power setup, where is everybody mounting the ESC arming switch...hate to just let it flop around, could be expensive.

Kurtzz
I've never liked the idea of having a power switch on an esc. I've seen too many power switches fail on RC cars to trust them in a plane. To me, unplugging a flight pack isn't any harder than hitting a power switch. The switch is just another failure point. Might be worth eliminating it and just solder the wires together.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
I've never liked the idea of having a power switch on an esc. I've seen too many power switches fail on RC cars to trust them in a plane. To me, unplugging a flight pack isn't any harder than hitting a power switch. The switch is just another failure point. Might be worth eliminating it and just solder the wires together.
I just cut it off and put heat shrink over it...
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
To run 6S you'll need a new ESC, new motor, if you're removing it should get a new efflux RC or Tamjets housing and fan.
I know I'm in for a lot of new expensive stuff if^^when I do this.
Quote:
5S is doable on the stock motor, I've heard people using 3000-3300mAh on 5S.
Not interested in 5s. One of the considerations here is flexibility: I'd like to use the same batteries I use in the Extra 300 (or my future Corsair) to fly the Habu. That, and good 3s batteries are likely cheaper than good 5s or 6s.

Quote:
Just be ready to add even more weight to that tailcone When you get your CC ESC I'd strongly suggest mounting it in the intake ducting like some of the pictures in this and the V1 thread show. You'll probably be able to remove most of that lead and keep the CG.
That's why I've been involved in the ESC/CG discussions in both Habu threads.

The lead is a band-aid. It's on the tailcone to make it easier to remove when the time comes.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
I'm almost at the point of turning up at my LHS tomorrow who has one in stock.

I don't have any 4s batteries at all. Could someone recommend a relatively cheap battery or 3.
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post

I don't have any 4s batteries at all. Could someone recommend a relatively cheap battery or 3.
The HobbyKing Turnigy packs work I hear. I personally don't recommend cheap packs in EDFs the power demand is just to high. GenAce, ThunderPower, and other High Quality packs are the way to go. 4S TP 3850 45C or TP3900 25C are what I use.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post

Overlander do 60C 4S batteries. Not cheap, but you really want a battery with minimal voltage drop at high loads. The higher the C rating, the lower the internal resistance of the battery, which means you get less voltage drop under load.
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,958 Posts
I've read quite a few stories about cheaper battery brands (sky lipo perhaps?) fudging the "C" rating quite a bit, especially on high C packs. Might want to do some research before plunking down extra bucks on those. That said, I've heard nothing but good things about Gens Ace 25c packs. I fly mine on a variety of packs, all of which work well.
Turnigy 20-30c 3000mAh
Stock eflite 30c 3200mAh
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard a lot of brands get their batteries from the same place and just put their name on it. Personally, I use Thunderpower lipos for the simple reason that they are located about 5 miles from where I live. Any problems with my packs and it's a short drive for them to take care of the problem. I can't say the same for the "dead on arrival" Turnigy I once bought. Granted, Hobby King took care of it, but it was a bit of a pain.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
569 Posts
finally broke down and bought the habu 2, this made my flying buddies day. (gave my original to a buddy to start him in edf jets).
bought the unpainted airframe only version, installed a velocity cool 42 motor into an eflite housing fitted with a het rotor. using a castle lite ice 100 and venom 4s 3600 50c packs. i get just over 1300 watts at about 95 amps.
i just recieved the shulman aviation e tracts for this as well. i will install them tomorrow and post pics. i painted mine up like an edwards afb f-16 (test and eval) and used callie graphics.
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Callie from Callie Graphics is the BOMB! I've ordered from her several times in the past and I would highly recommend her to anyone that needs vinyl stickers for their projects. Here's some pics of one of my planes with graphics by her...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
569 Posts
i did my original habu in a navy aggressor scheme using callie graphics
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:59 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
My switch failed on my Habu V1 at SEFF this past spring. Luckily I was on the ground just after a flight and the ESC just shut off as I was taxing back towards myself. Could have been really bad. I will cut them off from now on.
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,898 Posts
chevron, where did you get the v2 foam from?
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@mustang347

Glad you were on the ground when that happened! I won't touch an on/off switch with a ten foot pole. Got rid of all mine. Even on my 1/8 scale buggy...I plug the RX battery directly into the RX.