HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
I'd be all over this if I hadn't just gotten a V1 4 months back...but maybe an airframe when the time comes.
southernmd_man is online now Find More Posts by southernmd_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,162 Posts
Been pondering a larger EDF for a while now

Never had Habu

But was disapointed when they took it away, but glad its back again with retracts and flaps,

BUT

I'd hoped they might add a new power set up for more vertical power
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,004 Posts
It's real easy (the more power part), and you can almost do it for free.
Step 1: Buy a 80A Hobbywing ($50) or Detrum ($28) ESC. (might get a BEC as well... $10-18)
Step 2: Buy a 3000mah 5s lipo (30C or better) ($30-40 on RCG, $50ish new)
Step 3: Sell your 60A Eflite ESC on here for $60

Depending on how you go product-wise, you can upgrade to near unlimited vertical for an hour or two of time, and spend between $0-60 for the upgrade.
Not bad!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; May 15, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
This might be my first EDF, and unless they also come out with a P-40, my only Parkzone plane for the year. I'm pretty much out of space right now to store planes and I still have a 48" Extra on the way. I'd thought about getting the Habu awhile back but it was already discontinued and I wanted to add retracts, so this is the ticket.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:46 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
536 Posts
it look's like on the spec it is a good bit heavy on the habu2.
onefastxp is online now Find More Posts by onefastxp
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
It's real easy (the more power part), and you can almost do it for free.
Step 1: Buy a 80 Hobbywing ($50) or Detrum ($28) ESC. (might get a BEC as well... $10-18)
Step 2: Buy a 3000mah 5s lipo (30C or better) ($30-40 on RCG, $50ish new)
Step 3: Sell your 60A Eflite ESC on here for $60

Depending on how you go product-wise, you can upgrade to near unlimited vertical for an hour or two of time, and $0-60 for the upgrade.
Not bad!
Josh
Can the BL15 handle 5S?

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

Would be great if it could but may be pushing it?

Andy
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
382 Posts
BTW - a very welcome announcement Dave / Horizon, I love my Habu (1).

Please ignore the naysayers regarding price ... you do indeed get what you pay for (as with most things in life) !
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The43rdHammer View Post
Can the BL15 handle 5S?

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

Would be great if it could but may be pushing it?

Andy
Read the original habu thread. It can handle it and is one of the most common things people do to it. Just upgrade the esc and slip in a 5s battery and enjoy.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Read the original habu thread. It can handle it and is one of the most common things people do to it. Just upgrade the esc and slip in a 5s battery and enjoy.

-Brian
Thanks...

...have you seen the size of that thread - monolithic doesn't even begin to describe it!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The43rdHammer View Post
Thanks...

...have you seen the size of that thread - monolithic doesn't even begin to describe it!
You mean, you don't want to read all the way through it???
5s 80A esc is the way to go. Be running that on the stock fan/motor since the word 'go'. Totally worth it, and zero issues.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I like this plane as I do most of the Parkzone line. But, man-o-man! $300.00 for the stock bird and then another $143.00 to install recommended upgrades? This kind of pricing is what has chased me away from parkzone. When I can find comparable birds out there for much less and put my own upgrades in and still be under PZ's stock price, please tell me where my incentive is to by this model. To bad. I really like parkzone stuff and Horizen service is second to none, But you know what they say! "Money talks , and Bull St walks".
I work in a hobby store, and I fully support Parkzone, and other Horizon Hobby lines. Here's why: There is a customer support line where you actually receive support. I can't count the times we've referred customers to them, to hear later that CS sent them replacements free of cost. I bought a Trojan (my fourth!) and it had a dead servo out of the box. I called, and received a replacement in 2 days, no questions asked.

HH still carries replacement parts for their discontinued planes, including the Habu 1. On the other side, I broke a prop on an Asian B-17. Although it is still being sold, replacements were NEVER available. I ultimately found a substitute.

I also buy Asian products, but I know that if a part is broken, I'm either on my own, or in for a long drawn out replacement process, which will undoubtedly cost me money. Basically, the Asian web stores are just warehouses with cardboard boxes, from which you place your order and the appropriate box is routed to you.

Also, frankly, much of the Asian products are of lower quality, or cruder engineering. Just compare the fittings on the recent Pkz Hurricane with a BH or NP offering. The engineering costs are not free.

You can go for lowest cost, or best service, but expecting both will disappoint you.

Me? I'm buying the bare airframe and moving the guts from my Habu 1 into the 2. Can't wait!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson View Post
I work in a hobby store, and I fully support Parkzone, and other Horizon Hobby lines. Here's why: There is a customer support line where you actually receive support. I can't count the times we've referred customers to them, to hear later that CS sent them replacements free of cost. I bought a Trojan (my fourth!) and it had a dead servo out of the box. I called, and received a replacement in 2 days, no questions asked.

HH still carries replacement parts for their discontinued planes, including the Habu 1. On the other side, I broke a prop on an Asian B-17. Although it is still being sold, replacements were NEVER available. I ultimately found a substitute.

I also buy Asian products, but I know that if a part is broken, I'm either on my own, or in for a long drawn out replacement process, which will undoubtedly cost me money. Basically, the Asian web stores are just warehouses with cardboard boxes, from which you place your order and the appropriate box is routed to you.

Also, frankly, much of the Asian products are of lower quality, or cruder engineering. Just compare the fittings on the recent Pkz Hurricane with a BH or NP offering. The engineering costs are not free.

You can go for lowest cost, or best service, but expecting both will disappoint you.

Me? I'm buying the bare airframe and moving the guts from my Habu 1 into the 2. Can't wait!
Robert i agree with you many shops or most shops in china have a really bad reputation here on rc group....For example BH ( poor quality electronics....and really really bad support....will never buy from them....) But Hobby King , RC CASTLE or PW RC have good products at a great costs and on their planes the quality have done enormous improvements....Yes support is not easy.....but those 3 are way much better than BH.......Of course Horizon Hobby is the best maybe is UNIQUE in quality and SUPPORT....
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
It's very nice! Just what the V1 lacked, they put it on now! (retr.gear+flaps)
Awesome livery too!
The only thing that I would change immediately (if I was to have one) is to reverse the nose landing gear, so it retracts FORWARD. As where the strut it is positioned now, it looks totally unrealistic cause it sits much too far forward in the nose...

Unfortunately for me, since it's 4S (as are other nice EDFs or the Scimitar) with retracts, it means I gotta invest in 4S LiPos too, so I think I'll have too pass on this one...(again) :-(
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
It's very nice! Just what the V1 lacked, they put it on now! (retr.gear+flaps)
Awesome livery too!
The only thing that I would change immediately (if I was to have one) is to reverse the nose landing gear, so it retracts FORWARD. As where the strut it is positioned now, it looks totally unrealistic cause it sits much too far forward in the nose...

Unfortunately for me, since it's 4S (as are other nice EDFs or the Scimitar) with retracts, it means I gotta invest in 4S LiPos too, so I think I'll have too pass on this one...(again) :-(
what lipos do you currently have? This plane will fly even better on 5S just upgrade the esc. Also I doubt you'll ever see a edf that flies well on <4s, other than a micro.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
Well, I have only some smaller 2S'es and 1800/2200 3S Lipos...The 5S are even more expensive than the 4S of course...
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT