HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden Flight - Checked!

All,

Here's my maiden flight from early this morning using gopro2 headcam. Since I got out late, I was only able to get 1 flight in before the area was starting to pick up traffic and getting busy. I did not want to risk it (hitting anything or anyone). Very basic 1st flight. Trimming went OK. However as anticipated, I had to trimmed a lot on elevator since it was nose heavy. If you listen in, you can hear the numerous clicks I had to do to level her out.

This is my first EDF and jet so I wasn't sure what to expect. Mine is stock except for the addition of flaps which I did not used on first flight. Subsequent flights I kicked them on. Overall I am pleased with the stock setup except for nose heavy aspect. Here's my brief observation from someone new to EDF and jet.

Take-off (rates - med. elevator and rudder, low aileron): Habu 2 seems to require a rather long runway. I literally had to used most of the parking lot. Granted I was easy on the throttle and was not WOT. Regardless, the plane felt heavy and needed more speed and air over the wings before I could feel comfortable lift her up. I can't imagine how I would hand launch this myself if I go belly landing .

Flight (rates - mostly medium and high on occasion): Since it was the first flight, I took it very easy to get a better feel. Speed was OK. It's relative fast but I was anticipating a little faster on WOT. I am not complaining...not yet. I did have to trim aileron and rudder slightly.

Landing (rates - medium elevator and rudder, low aileron) : My landing was relative good with one small bounce on flair up. Aside the faster speed, it's relatively typical. I was prepared for a hot landing since first landing is always nerve racking since you don't know what exactly to expect. On hindsight, i think I should have gone low rate on elevator and possibility could eliminated the one bounce.

Others: Plane visibility could be improved I think. Yes it's small and fast so I am not sure by how much and by which method. In my second flight I made an attempt at this.

Reef-RC PZ-Habu2-Maiden-Flight (7 min 28 sec)
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Last edited by Reef_rc; Jul 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
On all 3 of my habus including the new version the clear nose cone fits snug and will not come off. I have had much difficulty trying to remove it when a nose crinkle has happen from a bumby landing. As far as the cover tape for the wires go, I have found the paint will peel off slightly and the adhension, once lifted will need to be taped over with additional clear tape or double sided tape.
Cabertoss is offline Find More Posts by Cabertoss
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
All,

Here's my maiden flight from early this morning using gopro2 headcam. Since I got out late, I was only able to get 1 flight in before the area was starting to pick up traffic and getting busy. I did not want to risk it (hitting anything or anyone). Very basic 1st flight. Trimming went OK. However as anticipated, I had to trimmed a lot on elevator since it was nose heavy. If you listen in, you can hear the numerous clicks I had to do to level her out.
Are you running fixed gear? I can't tell by the video if you have retracts or not. Having the gear down is about a 10% hit it speed!

Your landing was a bit fast. Although looking at your flying area it'll be hard to judge speed with only that long straight in approach. (That is a TON of lightpoles!!)

The best way to land the habu is nose up and with a little power. The glide in method almost always results in faster landings with more chance of a balloon in the flare.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Now for the great dilema! Order a Habu airfame or a Tomahawk viper jet! I have a hoffman beast/ HET 6904 combo for which ever I choose.
Well my dilema has been solved! I went with a Tomahawk Viper Jet EDF. After owning a Habu with retracts, I went for the less headache route. My Habu 1 was a good plane but I have concluded flaps and retracts are not worth the trouble anymore. Just one more system to have problems with. My local flying field is more belly landing friendly.

Plus growing up in a Navy town I might get shot if I show up at the field with another Air Force plane. My dad might even disown me! I catch enough grief with my H9 twin otter!
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Last edited by pylot2b; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Hey Brian,

Yes - currently using fixed gear. I have retracts but wanted to first try out the fixed gear before going retracts or belly landing.

Yes - my first landing is always faster until I get more comfortable. I had 5 flights today and feeling better slowing her down with power on landing even though they're still a little faster than I liked. I am always worry about her dropping so the glide and power seems to be good enough for now. Still need work I know. You'll see what I mean in my other flights I share shortly.

Lightpoles? What lightpoles? Oh, those obstacles. It's a school parking lot so they come with the territory. Yes they can be problematic. I am used to them. Precision flying is the key The key is fly high and be precise when flying low or you'll regret it. Main reason those that fly here don't typically land in the parking lot unlike myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Are you running fixed gear? I can't tell by the video if you have retracts or not. Having the gear down is about a 10% hit it speed!

Your landing was a bit fast. Although looking at your flying area it'll be hard to judge speed with only that long straight in approach. (That is a TON of lightpoles!!)

The best way to land the habu is nose up and with a little power. The glide in method almost always results in faster landings with more chance of a balloon in the flare.

-Brian
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Here's my 2nd and following flights. I had 5 flights yesterday throughout the day (1 morning, 1 afternoon and 3 evening before sunset). They all relative tam with basic manuevers (loops and rolls). Seems habu could use more power on loops in my opinion. Rolls on high rates are relative nice. Not too fast or slow. Inverted flight seems to require slight elevator. I didn't have the courage yet to do knife edge (looking to do one relatively soon once the break-in period is done ) Overall it's relative fun flying Habu 2. Relative success as one would say. Will enjoy more stick time with this little speed demon.

I plan to install retracts tomorrow and see how she does once I adjust the CG a little more.

Reef-RC PZ-Habu2-2nd-Flight (7 min 16 sec)

Habu 2 video gallery -
http://vimeo.com/album/2022666
Last edited by Reef_rc; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
Nice landing! But I've never seen a runway with speed bumps before!!
Maloof Model Aviation park isn't renowned for having the smoothest runway.

It's city property so if we want it fixed we have to brown nose the bureaucrats for a while.
lunaraa is offline Find More Posts by lunaraa
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
I decided to put my Habu 2 together and add the flap servos. I have one question to those who have installed them. Do I carefully unstick the white with blue paint wire/servo hiding tape, add the servos and reapply the tape once the wires are ran and servos installed? Will the tape reapply with no problems? Does the paint flake off? Also my nose cone came in the box unglued, what kind of glue should I use that will not make a mess. Canopy Glue? Thanks.
Lightly score where the tape is painted and gently pull the tape off. You can lay it on a piece of wax paper and after the servos are installed reuse the tape. On the canopy use silicone adhesive.
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Reef why not land in the parking lot you take off from?
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I typically do with my other planes with few exceptions. It depends on wind conditions. The issue is trees and lightpoles on the north side of the parking lot. The setup for landing from the north side with wind coming from the south (like in the videos) has to be precise, descent is rather steep due to "obstacles" and you have to come at an angle and straighten out quickly once you're over the parking lot. The last part is that the parking lot is rather short. Too much speed on landing and you'll be meeting Mr. Curb face to face. Not enough speed or high enough on descend and you will be meeting Mr. Stop Sign and/or Mr. Trees.

South side is a lot better but one outstanding issue is the short runway. I figured once I have a better feel for Habu 2, I should be able to land it on the parking lot. I do with my larger planes (52" and less - EF Scimitar, EF Rhapsody, EF Hurricane, EF PT-17, etc.). The land flaps should help shorten the distance if needed. For now I rather be safe than sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Reef why not land in the parking lot you take off from?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
"Oh the humanity!"
Clovis California
Joined Aug 2006
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaraa View Post
I can. Someone had one today at the field and we compared them side by side. They're identical, new modifications aside.
Actually, the Habu 2 has a couple of minor modifications. The wing is held on by 3 screws instead of just one. (a great idea I thought) and the nose wheel bay is quite a bit wider than Version 1.

Maidened mine this am. Very nice flyer! The flaps make it want to float a bit on approach, but I'll get used to it! Looks awesome in the air, and the Thunderbird livery is a tremendous improvement over the yellow/blue version one.
Fyrcap59 is offline Find More Posts by Fyrcap59
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Hey nice Habu 2 and the video footage is crystal clear.

It may just be the lense effect but it looks like you're landing right next to a road with cars driving on it? IMO even though it's a foamie you want to be flying that guy well away from traffic as if you did get a failed servo, glitch, or even a nervous driver you could cause a nasty wreck or pedestrian casualty etc.

Just my 2c. Otherwise everything else looked great. The Go pro is a sensational camera indeed.
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
264 Posts
First impressions of my Habu 2

Just did my build yesterday and maiden flight today. I used the E-Flite retracts. The manual states to cut the mains to 2.25" but I found this was a bit short. This was mentioned on a previous post, I believe. Anyway, I cut mine to 2.5" and they centered much better in the wheel wells.

Also, unless I was looking at something wrong in the manual, it appears the method of attaching the clevis to the nose retract seems to be wrong. I assembled it as shown but it bound up when the nose gear was retracted. I looked at the pin in the clevis and the slot on the nose gear steering unit and decided the head of the shoulder bolt should be towards the retract unit and not outboard towards the wheel well. I switched it around and now it is smooth with no binding when using the rudder with the nose gear retracted.

The manual states 4" aft of the leading edge for the CG. I am using a 3300 mAH 4S battery and if I use 4" as the CG, my CG Machine tells me I am seriously nose heavy. I had to put 2 oz. of weight under ther horizontal stab.

On the maiden, it felt like the nose heavy condition caused my take-off roll to be longer than I like and it took a while to reach Vr. It climbed reasonably well but I doubt it would have flown on anything less than 75% power.

I am going to seriously look into moving the ESC or even dropping in an 80 amp ESC (I have a HobbyWing 80A with 5 amp UBEC) and using a 5S pack.

I like the appearance of the plane but wish it had more snot.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
ok picked mine up today and first thing I did was trim the little foam off the bottom of the canopy and a little on the bottom of the battery tray now both my 3300mah 5s and my 4000mah 4s fit great along with the eflight 80amp esc
cant wait to maiden in the AM
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Last edited by hotdog1; Jul 28, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife View Post
I got mine today, looks great !!!!!

I lost my version 1 Habu this April, when a bird strike took off 1/3rd of my wing !!!!

In all my years of flying, I've never seen that before, usually the birds get out of the way.

I don't think that I'll be very helpful for the stock set-up evaluations.

My last Habu was running a Change-Sun fan on 5 lipos @ 1600 watts.

This time I'm going for a 6 lipo set-up from Tamjets.

I'm so happy that they pre-molded the retracts into the model.

The old XPS system was great, but kinda of tedious to install.

I can't wait to try the flaps....

I wish my 8 cell Habu 32 was this light in weight

-DG
About a month ago I lost my FMS Stuka to a bird strike. Sometimes when birds are flying near the field I get bored and chase then off. This time however I picked on the wrong birds. Turns out the birds I tried to chase off where a couple of Bald Eagles and they were not at all happy about it. One of them went into attack mode and flew at the model killing it.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086