HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,012 Posts
Just noticed that it doesn't come with a battery this time around. I guess that's the "Basic" part... Bummer. I too would be interested in a painted airframe, or in a reasonably priced PNP ($200, wink wink). Love the color scheme!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post

One disappointment I can already spot is the hatch, looks like a magnet is still up front.

-swps

We used a larger magnet to hold the hatch on. It is much more secure now.

Matt Andren
Horizonhobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Just ordered a bare airframe. Gonna put a CS 10 blade or Alloy 11 blade in there. 4s or 6s? Hmmmm... Also gonna use the 25 size retracts that have thicker strut for our grass strip. If all goes well, I may need a few of these
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Bare airframe is SUPPOSED to be unpainted. Of course we all know how that worked out LAST time ! ;-)
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
I like this plane as I do most of the Parkzone line. But, man-o-man! $300.00 for the stock bird and then another $143.00 to install recommended upgrades? This kind of pricing is what has chased me away from parkzone. When I can find comparable birds out there for much less and put my own upgrades in and still be under PZ's stock price, please tell me where my incentive is to by this model. To bad. I really like parkzone stuff and Horizen service is second to none, But you know what they say! "Money talks , and Bull St walks".
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
To bad. I really like parkzone stuff and Horizen service is second to none, But you know what they say! "Money talks , and Bull St walks".
In my experience, Hangar 9, E-Flite and Parkzone planes are the best value for quality.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
In my experience, Hangar 9, E-Flite and Parkzone planes are the best value for quality.
I will never argue the quality. There are other good quality birds out there made by the same Asian manufactuers that dont scald your wallet. So the value for the price paid in my opinion just isnt there. Now as for customer service and parts availability Horizen cant be beat. I find that the more experience I gain, the fewer mishaps I have and the less I need that cusomer support. For me it is not cost effective. This all my own opinion mind you and not an attempt to force or sway anyone elses opinion.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,756 Posts
I am in for this bird.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Its not gonna be a cheap purchase. However....... You get what you pay for. My first Habu flew great right out of the box. All the push pull rods where perfectly adjusted right out of the box. On my first flight I didnt even need to touch any of the trim switches. Now with the added niceties of flaps for $22 in servos. This plane will be even easier to land. But Im not sure if Im down for paying $120 for their servoless retracts when Im sure I have a set in my box of goodies. So fixed gear is a minor non scale look to have to live with.

But for $321 its a pretty good deal IMHO considering what you get for performance. Im also hoping that they offer a PNP version as they did in the passed. I think that this will make is more attractive in cost. Im pretty sure that the reciever offered in the BNF version isnt worth the extra $100. When I have atleast 3, 6 channel recievers not doing anything. Time will tell I suppose
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2,012 Posts
In the PZ Habu thread, Dave mentioned that they're just doing this version, for ease of distribution. So, no PNP. Just BBNF (Batteryless Bind-N-Fly). Too bad too, because if it truly was BNF, you could sell the rx and batt for $100, and get it back down to the $200 PNP price... Actually, I'm kinda confused. Seems like with lipo technology getting more advanced, it would cost PZ less $ to include a batt than it used to, which would mean a higher profit margin. But hey, I'm not in the industry, so there are probably reasons for the change I'm not aware of.
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
People crack me up talking about how expensive this plane is. When I started flying in the early 80's do you know how expensive a glow DF model was? Do you know how unreliable and hard to fly they were? And guess how durable they were? For $300 you are getting a pre-built ready to fly super durable and reliable EDF. To each their own, but I already placed my order for a bare airframe to customize. I may order a stock one too to compare.
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2,012 Posts
I hear ya (I just had the same convo with a flying buddy last night), but I think there's some validity to it in this case. Habu1 was only a couple years old, and other than not having precut space for flaps and retracts, it's the same bird as Habu2, except for the same price it doesn't come with a battery. I'v bought one if it was a true BNF. It looks super sweet...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
869 Posts
Great EDF... I have the first Habu and now i wish more speed on the Habu 2....Also why a Flap and retracts ready to fly.....IT'S TIME KNOW....!!!
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
I hear ya (I just had the same convo with a flying buddy last night), but I think there's some validity to it in this case. Habu1 was only a couple years old, and other than not having precut space for flaps and retracts, it's the same bird as Habu2, except for the same price it doesn't come with a battery. I'v bought one if it was a true BNF. It looks super sweet...
The price only dropped to $299 for the BNF, $199 for the PNP when they were closing the door on the V1.The release price was $399 for the BNF, $299 for the PNP and stayed there until about 9 or 10 months ago. Check out the first page of the V1 HABU thread, and I remember how sore my wallet was......
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2,012 Posts
That's true - totally forgot about that! Well then, I stand corrected. $299 is an awesome deal.
RCG Plus Member