HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
you might hurry and order one from amainhobbies.com they are still showing as in stock and then cancel your order from horizon. seems like your order just messed up somehow. should have gotten yours. dont get too bitter, this stuff happens and you cant blow off a company because of one messup. In rc planes, cell phones, and all kinds of things, they get delayed longer then what the company says all the time. If you have numerous bad experiences, then you might be justified and not dealing with that company, but one bad experience doesnt justify it. Many MANY people will tell you how awesome the customer service is at Horizon. They have even replaced stuff for me that wasnt even under warranty anymore!
I know its frustrating when I try to be first in line. Anyway I ordered from Ammain thanks to information from Mugen thanks buddy
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
Quote:
I just finished mine. The only real problems with the build were the retracts.

When installing the mains, there is no room for the wires. I simply hogged out the foam where the wire enters the foam. The nose gear had two issues. The wire connecting the servo to the retract is about 8mm too long. Simple fix to rebend the wire and cut off the excess. Also, I never did find out what screw they used with the connector. I just used a small 2mm screw I had lying around. The second issue was the nose retract cover. The cutout for the axil needs to be extended forward about 8mm to clear. Check before using the retracts.

Building tip: I found the screws for the stab mounting plats hard to install. A slight tapering with a #11 hobby knife helped a lot.

Modifications: None really are needed except the fixes above. I did use individual channels for each servo (no Y harnesses except for the retract tripple connector). This made it much easier to set throws and center points. For this I swapped out the receiver for a 9-channel JR 921. With more wires, I did have to enlarge the opening leading to the wing. Not a big deal but makes it much easier to not trap a wire. For flaps, I elected to use a Hitec HS-65MG servo. Fits exactly the same.

In all this was an excellant plane to put together. Balance is spot on. All of my batteries are charged -- tomorrow I should get some test flight in.
I too have finished and flown mine. I didn't have any problems with the retracts. For the mains, if you look closely where the factory installed extensions exit into the bay, there is a molded pocket. After I installed the retracts, I pushed the connector into the pocket so it's out of sight and then neatly tucked the remaining wire out of the way. No foam cutting is needed.

For the nose gear, did you make the bend in the gear leg and attach the axel as stated in the manual? I did and the gear cover fit just fine, again, no cutting of anything was needed. The bend in the gear leg actually pulls the axel forward. The steering pushrod is a little long, but I just threaded the clevis on until all was properly lined up. There is a small sholdered screw that is included for the clevis in the bag that contains the nose gear parts. Again no issues for me.

How does it fly? Just like a Habu! The new color scheme is a lot easier to see. I was also able to take off from grass.

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Last edited by imodel; Jul 22, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
still no pictures from you guys and you have flown them already!...........
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
This really pisses me off. I pre ordered the morning it was announced and now I have to waif two more months. They can keep it I'm cancelling. I have been a loyal horizon customer but now I'm done with them.
Your previous post indicated you ordered from hobbyzone, not Horizon. I suggest you contact them, or find another retailer who hasn't sold theirs yet. You may have to try a few places, but I'm sure you can find one with some perseverence.

Edit - aha, just saw your post about amain. Hope you're up and flying soon.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,861 Posts
Dave, do a unboxing for us video???
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
It seems the majority of those on here already has flown the Habu v1 at some point. I am new to EDF and this is my first EDF bird . All my current faster planes like the Multiplex dogfighter, EF scimitar and PZ F-27, GP cosmic wind, etc. are prop based or prop pusher. How does this compare to any I mentioned? Just curious.

btw - i am suppose to pick mine up today after work. Retracts are coming Tue. I already have servos for flags. Plan to use leftover from my PA Bandit build - Voltec servos VTS-70MG instead of HS-5065MG servos for flaps.

Seems based on a quick scan of the habu v1 forum, out of the box servos will likely need upgrading at some later point to HS-5065MG / HS-5085MG.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Seems based on a quick scan of the habu v1 forum, out of the box servos will likely need upgrading at some later point to HS-5065MG / HS-5085MG.
I've flow my Habu V1 with these servos with well over 200+ flights:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...kcru561e9oggl3
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Here's our unboxing video!

Friendly Hobbies: Unboxing The New Parkzone Habu 2 EDF BNF (4 min 54 sec)
ylerT is offline Find More Posts by ylerT
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
I've flow my Habu V1 with these servos with well over 200+ flights:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...kcru561e9oggl3
Ok durability sounds good. Do they center well? Any slop? Smooth?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
110 Posts
Just picked up mine from the local HS so some were definitely shipped. Of course I have no batteries for it and not sure if I want to pay 80 bucks for one or order online. The wait might kill me.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Ok durability sounds good. Do they center well? Any slop? Smooth?
So far so good. I have had good luck with them. It center well and smooth. I use them in airplanes everywhere it calls out for 9-gram servos and also in 450 Helis. Cyclic. I did use it as tail rotor servo with analog gyro but wore-out the pot.

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
425 Posts
Unboxing photos

Here are some photos, just came home to a nice big box!
No damage whatsoever, the only thing loose was the rudder, but it was fine.
No gotta go get dinner, enjoy!

PS Who's Matt Andren, Crew Chief? That's a decal next to the canopy.
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Last edited by Aerobatman; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
nothing like a "Thrillseeker Productions" un-boxing though aye Dave!

wish someone would of sent me this little baby i would of had an un-boxing/retracts/flaps build video

nice vid to tease though and this plane looks the goods

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman View Post
Here are some photos, just came home to a nice big box!
No damage whatsoever, the only thing loose was the rudder, but it was fine.
No gotta go get dinner, enjoy!

PS Who's Matt Andren, Crew Chief? That's a decal next to the canopy.
Awesome! Can't wait for mine! I think Matt Andren is a horizon employee. Not sure of his exact position. I think he's a designer.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Picked mine up from LHS today just hours after the UPS dropped it off. Can't wait to put everything on and maiden in coming days or weekend. Joy...joy.

Anyone planning on using retracts for take-off but belly landing this baby?
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc