HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:39 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
452 Posts
Hey everyone just a question,

I've mastered and gotten a bit bored with the HK vampire so I'd love to buy the Habu 2 now.

What retracts do hobbyking offer if any that require realistically no mods to install?

HK seems stronger than the wire strut retracts from eflite, my carpark field is fairly rough.

Thanks
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
For those running 5S on stock fan/motor: Do you still run the EC3 connector?

I have an EC3 attached to 13AWG that I'd like to attach to a 4S combo that will run 66A, similar to the Habu on 5S. I'm just wondering if this has been done already and is tried/true? I've heard it suggested that EC3 has a current limit of 60A but then also that many have used 100A in an EC3 and that it's not an issue.

Thanks,

Andy
There is no need, the EC3 connectors don't get hot even at 80amps. I run EC3 in my 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC. Yeah EC5s are better but unless you push the throttle to the top and forget about it until you land then the EC3 will be enough.

If you are just starting out and don't have any batteries or other planes the EC5 might be a better start though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same View Post

I've mastered and gotten a bit bored with the HK vampire so I'd love to buy the Habu 2 now.

What retracts do hobbyking offer if any that require realistically no mods to install?

HK seems stronger than the wire strut retracts from eflite, my carpark field is fairly rough.

Thanks
The Eflite struts are very strong, much stronger than most of the HK knockoffs. There are quite a few pics in this and the old original Habu thread of retract options if you want to go that way. unless you really want the look of trailing arm oleo gear I'd stick with the Horizon ones.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:42 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
See my thread post (#1318) on installation of Hobbyking retracts and Sapac struts, I am very happy with this combination, and it flies great...excellent takeoff and landing roll characteristics. Note, I did use the eflite nose retract due to the design but the mains are the HK-312's...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post23802462
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,911 Posts
Here's one HK retract option - seems habu focused.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...abu_type_.html
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:04 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Nice find josh, those seem like a new item. They are the right dimensions to fit the habu undercariage, and the nose retract appears to open up the correct way unlike ther HK offerings, which is why I went with an eflite nose and HK mains. Looks like a robust design and hopefully a drop in fit.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Those HK retracts look good. I just wonder how well a 4s setup would handle the extra weight (58/60g vs. Eflite 37/45g). I'm sure 5s would handle it just fine though...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same View Post

Thanks
Unless you are planning to try knife edge's etc with the habu2 I imagine you would be just as bored with it as you are with the vampire.

maybe a nice power upgrade in the vampire is required to give you some more excitement.

The one in this video is a mate of mines.
Durafly Vampire, Hobbyking Hawk, Durafly Zephyr (11 min 53 sec)
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
There is no need, the EC3 connectors don't get hot even at 80amps. I run EC3 in my 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC. Yeah EC5s are better but unless you push the throttle to the top and forget about it until you land then the EC3 will be enough.

If you are just starting out and don't have any batteries or other planes the EC5 might be a better start though...

-Brian
How many amps is the Extra pulling through the EC3? I have to buy a new 4S pack for my Yak anyway. That has EC3. So it'd be more convenient to put EC3 on the YF-16 also even though it will pull 66A on 4S; I could use 1 battery for either plane depending on which I bring that day.

I'm not starting out and have some 4S but 1 or 2 is getting tired. This issue will also come up when I finally 5S the foamy Habu. I will want to run 5S and then 4S on the same day so EC3 would be nice; otherwise I'd need an adaptor to run 4S.

I don't want to be unsafe or run something that has been an issue for people. But I suspect that many are running the EC3 w/12AWG on the Habu 5S and then 4S. Just hoped for a few to chime in.

Thanks for the chime!

Andy
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:31 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
How many amps is the Extra pulling through the EC3? I have to buy a new 4S pack for my Yak anyway. That has EC3. So it'd be more convenient to put EC3 on the YF-16 also even though it will pull 66A on 4S; I could use 1 battery for either plane depending on which I bring that day.

I'm not starting out and have some 4S but 1 or 2 is getting tired. This issue will also come up when I finally 5S the foamy Habu. I will want to run 5S and then 4S on the same day so EC3 would be nice; otherwise I'd need an adaptor to run 4S.

I don't want to be unsafe or run something that has been an issue for people. But I suspect that many are running the EC3 w/12AWG on the Habu 5S and then 4S. Just hoped for a few to chime in.

Thanks for the chime!

Andy
My Extra pulled about 70 amps before a prop change, No problems with the EC3s. As long as they are soldered correctly. I also share packs between the Habu and the Extra 4S 3900mAh with EC3s.

I know they are rated for 60Amps but I wouldn't think twice about running them to 75amps.

Anything over that and I might start looking at EC5s.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Here's one HK retract option - seems habu focused.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...abu_type_.html
Since they are less than 1/2 the price of the E-flite retracts and have shock absorbers,
I'm sold on giving these a try.
I just ordered them today to install in my bare frame Habu 2.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Since they are less than 1/2 the price of the E-flite retracts and have shock absorbers,
I'm sold on giving these a try.
I just ordered them today to install in my bare frame Habu 2.
let me know how that works for you, I've have a bare airframe that I'm going to put retracts in ...
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:55 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onothimagain View Post
let me know how that works for you, I've have a bare airframe that I'm going to put retracts in ...
They look pretty sweet
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onothimagain View Post
I will do that.
I'm hoping that they are just a drop in considering that HobbyKing is suggesting that the retracts are "ideally suited for Habu EDF."
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:54 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Unless you are planning to try knife edge's etc with the habu2 I imagine you would be just as bored with it as you are with the vampire.

maybe a nice power upgrade in the vampire is required to give you some more excitement.

The one in this video is a mate of mines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVcO5fInMOA
I'm bored with the looks, the habu is beautiful to me and with the square wing tips ill put some dummy sidewinder missiles on and probably paint a NASA test livery thanks for the replies guys
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:29 AM
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Anyone out there have any experience with Tam's TJ70 CS70 pnp unit for 6s??
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21