Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
guessing 120+, the thrust tube should improve top speed.....we'll see
Very cool. Please keep the videos coming!

I managed to score one of these TJ70 8s setups a couple months ago, and it looks oh so awesome. Still debating whether to put it in my habu, or stick it in the Sapac L-39...Dilemma!

BTW, Graves RC still has nine Sapac L-39 kits for sale, some with the EDF and some without. Get em while ya can: http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/780.htm
-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,478 Posts
I reversed my ESC and RX, now the ESC's much cooler after a flight.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:12 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,843 Posts
My crash happened back mid december. Ive already replaced the airframe with new habu2 foam. The efflux/mega is waiting for a F-20!!!!! I have a cs-10 in the new bird, shooting for mid power 1400-1800 watts.
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
44 Posts
Hi I buy a habu 2 aiframe and i want to know if there is a airframe manual thanks
maxman55 is offline Find More Posts by maxman55
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Just use the PNP manual on horizons website, that's all you need. There is no seperate manual for the airframe only kit. There is really nothing to putting this plane together, if not doing retracts or flaps you could have it built in 2 hours.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Just use the PNP manual on horizons website, that's all you need. There is no seperate manual for the airframe only kit. There is really nothing to putting this plane together, if not doing retracts or flaps you could have it built in 2 hours.
Ok thanks
maxman55 is offline Find More Posts by maxman55
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Hi All,

First time here. I see lots of great info on this plane. My son and I just got his running and checked out. He's the pilot and I'm the adult (sort of). We are running a Habu 2 BNF with the Spektrum DX7S and E-Flite 3200 4S 30C battery.

I've read through the setup, configured the controls, and had it verified by the local RC shop as properly done. Flight Modes 0 and 1 (low rate, high rate), some expo, and setup the rates using D/R rather than adjusting linkages.

My son was quite good at flying his Super Cub and he saved his dough to move to this (with some help from me ;-) ). Being that this is big jump I was hoping to get some input on fine tuning the control settings such as mixed modes and differential for the Habu 2 so that he has the smoothest possible introduction. I am also hoping to find a trainer in the Los Angeles area to introduce him.
TheHoons is offline Find More Posts by TheHoons
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoons View Post
Hi All,

First time here. I see lots of great info on this plane. My son and I just got his running and checked out. He's the pilot and I'm the adult (sort of). We are running a Habu 2 BNF with the Spektrum DX7S and E-Flite 3200 4S 30C battery.

I've read through the setup, configured the controls, and had it verified by the local RC shop as properly done. Flight Modes 0 and 1 (low rate, high rate), some expo, and setup the rates using D/R rather than adjusting linkages.

My son was quite good at flying his Super Cub and he saved his dough to move to this (with some help from me ;-) ). Being that this is big jump I was hoping to get some input on fine tuning the control settings such as mixed modes and differential for the Habu 2 so that he has the smoothest possible introduction. I am also hoping to find a trainer in the Los Angeles area to introduce him.
I just helped a kid and his uncle maiden the Habu 2 a couple of weeks ago. He too was very good at flying an Eflite Apprentice. He had no trouble transitioning to the Habu. I had him on the buddy box for the first two flights, after that he was on is own. Just set it up according to the manual and use low rates. The main thing to remember is to keep the speed up and don't stall it.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

I hate to say it but an EDF in my opinion is too big of a jump from the Super Cub. The Habu not only has ailerons now but no dihedral so the roll rate will be 10 times or more then that of the Supercub. So orientation gets added to the equation. Also due to the fact that the Habu is pushed there is no lift over the control surfaces so landing is fast, speed is controlled by up elevator and altitude is controlled by throttle so it's a totally different bird.

I suggest maybe going to an aileron plane then something like a Stryker to get used to speed and orientation. Or if you have a really good trainer to buddy box then it may be achievable.

I've just seen too many EDF maidens end in heartache, I don't want to see a soon to be RC Fighter Ace turned off of the hobby.

Keep us up to date. As I said this is only my opionion so I hope a few other guys have some suggestions.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
I suggest maybe going to an aileron plane then something like a Stryker to get used to speed and orientation. Or if you have a really good trainer to buddy box then it may be achievable.
Stryker is a worse suggestion. Orientation issues on a delta can be horrid.

Habu is actually an easy flying plane on low rates. Landing IS the biggest issue. Newbies will land pretty hot (like I did) - as the the plane likes to float more than you expect. Flaps help but newbies have no idea how to use them (i.e to deploy them well in advanced and not like a last second parachute).

I don't recommend small jets like the SkyAngels 50mm or Freewing 64mm to newbies. Those are definite one and done planes.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

I actually used a little bit less travel and more expo on the elevator and ailerons when I was getting used to the habu. The stock settings have enough elevator even on low rates to get into an accelerated stall.
more below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
I hate to say it but an EDF in my opinion is too big of a jump from the Super Cub. The Habu not only has ailerons now but no dihedral so the roll rate will be 10 times or more then that of the Supercub. So orientation gets added to the equation. Also due to the fact that the Habu is pushed there is no lift over the control surfaces so landing is fast, speed is controlled by up elevator and altitude is controlled by throttle so it's a totally different bird.

I've just seen too many EDF maidens end in heartache, I don't want to see a soon to be RC Fighter Ace turned off of the hobby.

Keep us up to date. As I said this is only my opionion so I hope a few other guys have some suggestions.
On all airplanes EDF, prop, turbine etc altitude is managed by throttle and airspeed is managed by elevator, not just on EDFs.

I agree in that the Habu is a HUGE jump from a supercub, however the stryker is going to be even harder. If you have the spare change money I'd strongly advise getting a T-28 or similar for aileron practice. (T-28, Parkzone Archer280, maybe a Glasair sportsman) or even getting an ultra micro: The UM T-28 is a great aileron plane that you can even fly in a small yard! The Carbon Cub would also work although definitely not a trainer. Also if you wanted to step into edfs directly the UMX Mig-15 is an option. It flies slower and is very stable and it'll get him used to managing energy while flying (An extremely important skill in all jet flying).

Bottom line: If you can find a buddy box I think it is completely doable however I'd be hesitant to try it alone.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Stryker is a worse suggestion. Orientation issues on a delta can be horrid.

Habu is actually an easy flying plane on low rates. Landing IS the biggest issue. Newbies will land pretty hot (like I did) - as the the plane likes to float more than you expect. Flaps help but newbies have no idea how to use them (i.e to deploy them well in advanced and not like a last second parachute).

I don't recommend small jets like the SkyAngels 50mm or Freewing 64mm to newbies. Those are definite one and done planes.
I just suggested the Stryker because it's the path I took. It's a pusher. It's fast but can also be flown slow which helped me get used to orientation on a twitchy plane and the best thing about it you can go from 110 MPH then land it in your lap.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,364 Posts
UMX Mig15 is a great first EDF. I loved mine.

But from Super Cub? Probably an UMX Sbach or UMX Beast 3D. I think plane progression should go like this:

High wing micro
Low wing (or aerobatic) micro
High wing or stable 30-40" plane (T28, etc.)
Low wing 30-40" plane
EDF jet or delta.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the quick and straightforward responses! It's great to find a vibrant community. I'll definitely pursue one of the two options- a transition plane or find an EDF buddy box trainer. Message received on the jump from his first plane to EDF. I will post back on the experience!
TheHoons is offline Find More Posts by TheHoons
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
347 Posts
For some reason I can only get around 2:30 seconds when using my nano tech 25c 3000mah packs
bladeguy5 is online now Find More Posts by bladeguy5