HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:14 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Help!
Engine supplier.

Guys,
About 3/4 - weeks ago a member gave a link to a U.S. supplier of a steam engine which was very similar to a Stuart D10, the 'A' frame and base plate were in brass or Gun Metal rather than cast Iron.
I would be obliged if the link could be re- posted.
George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,624 Posts
Not this one George?

http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/prod2336.htm

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Ian,
I think that's the engine but not the manufacturer who I am sure was from U.S..
When you go on to this site, which is in OZ it tells you that you can have the unmachined castings but no where does it say what the cost is or any info.

So is the maker in the U.S.A.?

One thing for sure, Stuart Turner D10's will never die as long as this supplier is available.

George.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Hey George,
I think you mean this one. 2V-10M http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?c...mode=cat_click

I am modeling one of his boats in my build thread.
http://www.tinypower.com/index.htm

I just sent you a PM

Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Hi Reg,
That's the link that I was looking for, many thanks.
P.M. sent.
George.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,624 Posts
Try this George :- http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/category193_1.htm

I think it has been suggested that someone has copied the Stuart engines.

Regards Ian.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:34 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
Try this George :- http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/category193_1.htm

I think it has been suggested that someone has copied the Stuart engines.

Regards Ian.
Thanks Ian,
No doubt about it in my opinion.
George.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Hey George,
One thing about the Tinypower site that I think is unique is you can buy a model engine lit or full size engine there.
See this 400 lb casting set or available finished.
http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?c...bd3fc958f33d04

Stuart copies??
Come on guys, thats really a bit boreing. Stuart did not have a monopoly on steam engine design.

No,no George/Ian please dont hit me again! No, no, ouch that hurts! no no, I promise I'll just watch & not say any more!

Last edited by Reg Hinnant; Apr 13, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
BTW when you look at the 2 sites twin engines, there are a lot of sutle differences so I don't think the Americans are supplying the Australians with castings.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Hinnant View Post
Hey George,
One thing about the Tinypower site that I think is unique is you can buy a model engine lit or full size engine there.
See this 400 lb casting set or available finished.
http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?c...bd3fc958f33d04

Stuart copies??
Come on guys, thats really a bit boreing. Stuart did not have a monopoly on steam engine design.

No,no George/Ian please dont hit me again! No, no, ouch that hurts! no no, I promise I'll just watch & not say any more!

You want to get really hurt Reg? just wait until I get my BIG HAMMER.!!!!

I have had a good look at both suppliers and I would say that the one in OZ is the nearest to Stuart in fact I would say that the "A" frame standards are from the same mold and the base plate is just that bit higher.
The one from the U.S. the trunk guide is too long and the base plate, well any old bit of flat metal would do.

You must remember that Mr Stuart Turner was making model steam engines long before Oz and the Americas were colonized !!!!!.
If he had taken out patent rights or copy right they would be long over ridden so any body could plagiarize his design.
By the way that things are happening with Stuart at present it could be a good thing that these guys are making copies, the cost of gunmetal and brass may in the future put the very good prices for these engines way out of our pocket reach.

Look out I have found the BIG HAMMER .

George.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,624 Posts
Main difference between Stuart/Oz copy and US version George is that the American one has a longer stroke, now why is that not surprising

Regards Ian.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:40 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Ian,
I do prefer the Oz one possibly as it's always been the D10's that I have made and they are so alike.
I think the U.S.A. one is very home made looking with the flat bed plate and bits stuck on to raise the standards, an 1/8" longer stroke won't make any difference to the running of a model engine.
Still both will make fine runners.
George.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,624 Posts
To be fair though, the box bed does make for an excessive weight penalty and making a "Launch" type bedplate looks more authentic in a boat.

Regards Ian
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooyah View Post
You want to get really hurt Reg? just wait until I get my BIG HAMMER.!!!!

You must remember that Mr Stuart Turner was making model steam engines long before Oz and the Americas were colonized !!!!!.

George.

Stuart ...Established 1898.....those colonial years started a lot later than I thought....

The so true reality that the US left its steam history so far behind is a sadness I mourn all the time..You guys are lucky to have steam modeling and hobby history so rich and still alive in the UK --and its connection to maritime ......I would so love to go to a hobby shop and actually see anything pertaining to boats much less steam...

Keep that hammer on Reg...Out of here......
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Mo,
I was being facetious on the colonisation thing,

We are fortunate in the U.K. that some model shops stock boat stuff but not them all and to get some steam items it's like finding hens teeth
My interest is not in boat building but engines and boilers so I have to rely on designing them myself or if some castings become available on e-bay, but have the advantage of being in a club with quite a few retired Clyde side engineers who keep the hobby alive although it's difficult to get youngsters interested, they much prefer high speed brushless boats with Lipo batteries.
2- years ago I built a D.Campbell Bluebird K7 with brushless motor and Lipo batteries as a diversion from steam and it sure is exciting, it goes like stink ,40 mph in a straight line.
Have a look at my club web site ( http://www.glasgowrichmondmbc.co.uk/ ) and it will give you an insight how lucky we are and there are quite a few clubs in Scotland and in England.

I think that the problem for you guys in the U.S, is that you are all so far apart and not a lot of clubs that promote steam, so everything that you need has ether to be posted internally or shipped in from the U.K. and I get the impression that most of you plow a lonely furrow.

I must say that I do enjoy corresponding with you guys as you are much more civilized than some of the D/Heads that are on the U.K.forums,so best of luck to you all and keep steaming.
George.
Last edited by ooyah; Apr 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM.