HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I totally agree. This heli just feels SO smooth in the air (except for the shakes that I keep getting). It's a blast to fly circuits and figure 8's with for sure. It definitely flies bigger than it is. It feels more like a 450 to me. And it's crazy fast if you want it to be. I was testing it out on some fast forward flight last night and was blown away.

It's also very durable. I did end up crashing it one time last night. I got bold and tried to piro during a flip... I didn't work out so well. Those guys make that stuff look so easy! LOL!! But I hit throttle hold and she slammed into the ground pretty hard. ZERO damage. And I mean none. I combed over the thing for a while I couldn't find anything wrong. So I set her back down and off she went again!
Great videos turnerm.

Your backyard looks great, must be you guys have had a little rain down your way. It's been so dry here that most have been struggling to keep their lawns green. It's also very cool to have a personal flying field in the back yard and the beauty of the 130x is that you can take advantage of it. I bet you've done a little foamy flying back there too.

I enjoyed your flying very much. Very smooth and nicely controlled circuits, flips, rolls and even a little nose in thrown in for good measure. Well done and keep posting more.

dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
No, I can't rotate the tail rotor while holding the main rotor..
If you hold the main rotor, then turn the tail rotor clockwise til it locks, then turn the tail rotor counter clockwise, the tail rotor doesn't turn at all? You can't turn your tail rotor at all in either direction while holding the main rotor in place?

That's what I'm getting at.. Mine has some play there once it hits one end it locks good (no stripped gears).
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:57 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Great videos turnerm.

Your backyard looks great, must be you guys have had a little rain down your way. It's been so dry here that most have been struggling to keep their lawns green. It's also very cool to have a personal flying field in the back yard and the beauty of the 130x is that you can take advantage of it. I bet you've done a little foamy flying back there too.

I enjoyed your flying very much. Very smooth and nicely controlled circuits, flips, rolls and even a little nose in thrown in for good measure. Well done and keep posting more.

dawg
Thanks dawg! We've had a fair amount of rain this year but it's still been dry by most standards. I just keep the irrigation system on it to keep it green!

And yes - I've absolutely done some foamie flying back there. It's a great spot for my Crack Yak! I've even launched and landed my Multiplex Fun Cub back there! Heck - I fly all around my house actually. I fly my larger balsa 3D planes right off the street in front of my house! There are some videos on my YouTube page if you're interested...

Thanks for the kind words about my flying. I really haven't spent enough time on helis yet. I'll buy one and fly it for a bit and then sell it to fund a plane purchase. But every stinkin' time I get rid of one I'm left wanting another one. So this 130x purchase is all about seeing if I can learn some serious 3D. I plan on using my sim (phoenix and RF6) and my 130x to get serious about this. If it doesn't hold my interest then I'll just casually fly my 130x and not sell it (hopefully)! But if I do end up getting into it then I'll get a 500 or 600 sized bird to really play with.

Currently I'm working on inverted flight, funnels and tic tocs on the sim. I'm pretty close on inverted flight - that's just a matter of orientation and training my thumbs! Funnels are killing me right now but I'm getting pretty darn close on tic tocs.

In my opinion, helis are more difficult than planes - at least when it comes to 3D. But it's also more rewarding in that way too I guess!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:11 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Thanks dawg! We've had a fair amount of rain this year but it's still been dry by most standards. I just keep the irrigation system on it to keep it green!

And yes - I've absolutely done some foamie flying back there. It's a great spot for my Crack Yak! I've even launched and landed my Multiplex Fun Cub back there! Heck - I fly all around my house actually. I fly my larger balsa 3D planes right off the street in front of my house! There are some videos on my YouTube page if you're interested...

Thanks for the kind words about my flying. I really haven't spent enough time on helis yet. I'll buy one and fly it for a bit and then sell it to fund a plane purchase. But every stinkin' time I get rid of one I'm left wanting another one. So this 130x purchase is all about seeing if I can learn some serious 3D. I plan on using my sim (phoenix and RF6) and my 130x to get serious about this. If it doesn't hold my interest then I'll just casually fly my 130x and not sell it (hopefully)! But if I do end up getting into it then I'll get a 500 or 600 sized bird to really play with.

Currently I'm working on inverted flight, funnels and tic tocs on the sim. I'm pretty close on inverted flight - that's just a matter of orientation and training my thumbs! Funnels are killing me right now but I'm getting pretty darn close on tic tocs.

In my opinion, helis are more difficult than planes - at least when it comes to 3D. But it's also more rewarding in that way too I guess!
I did check out a few of your videos on youtube. Very entertaining stuff. Nothing beats being able to fly by the house as I too have logged countless hours flying foamies in my frontyard. I've got a few posted on my youtube channel (r/cdawg31).

You seem to be following a similar path in the hobby as I have been. I've been flying 3d airplanes for the past 7 years and decided I needed a new challange. I plan to pick up Realflight 6 soon so I can get more practice time, and as my skills increase would like to move to a 500 to 550 size heli. I'm not sure how long you've been flying heli's but if I'm able to fly like you by fall I'll be happy.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:21 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I did check out a few of your videos on youtube. Very entertaining stuff. Nothing beats being able to fly by the house as I too have logged countless hours flying foamies in my frontyard. I've got a few posted on my youtube channel (r/cdawg31).

You seem to be following a similar path in the hobby as I have been. I've been flying 3d airplanes for the past 7 years and decided I needed a new challange. I plan to pick up Realflight 6 soon so I can get more practice time, and as my skills increase would like to move to a 500 to 550 size heli. I'm not sure how long you've been flying heli's but if I'm able to fly like you by fall I'll be happy.
I'll check out your channel today when I get home (planning on cutting out of work early today and have already told my staff to plan on doing the same). You're right - being able to fly at home is a HUGE plus in this hobby!

It's hard to say how long I've been flying helis as my experience with them has been intermittent at best. But I've only been in the hobby for 1.5 years total. I'd say that easily 95% of that time has been spent on planes. I got the original mSRx shortly after getting into the hobby and I had fun with it but then I turned my attention fully back to planes. I got an mCPx earlier this year and played with it off and on for a bit. THEN I got a FBL 450 pro and flew that maybe 10 times. I LOVED it but I set my eyes on a few new 3D planes so I sold it to fund those purchases. I immediately missed it once it was gone. Then I started playing with my mCPx again and started in on the sim - about an hour per week I guess. Then HH announced the 130x and I've been eyeing it ever since.

I'd say I have far more sim time than real stick time with helis. For now I'm just focusing on controlling my flips better (I really need to work on managing my collective - knowing when to be at neutral pitch is probably my biggest need) and from there I'll work on inverted hovers and inverted circuits. If I can get those down then I'll probably be hooked... for LIFE!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,214 Posts
I have zero sim time but that will soon be changing. It would have been great to have had a sim when I flew heli's from '85 to '92. I don't even want to know how much money I spent on heli parts back then.

That's the beauty of the hobby, many different flavors to choose from.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
What spare parts do you guys recommend a newbie like myself should get? I'm coming from the 120SR and just did my first loop! However its so damn squirrelly, I'm going to crash a lot and would like to order some spare parts today. Thanks.
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
94 Posts
Are there any aftermarket batteries out yet with the correct connector?
selzoc is offline Find More Posts by selzoc
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
No one knows what parts yet.. But I got what was in stock and based off my previous experience, a main shaft, skids, tail gears, main gear. I think I got a swash too. You might want to get a set of blade grips/rotor head too.

This one looks pretty durable vs weight though. I think its going to hold up better than the mcpx.

The only batteries I know of are the hyper ions that I think RCBABBLE is putting the connectors on. There is also this one on ebay
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Deleted.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Jul 03, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzoc View Post
Are there any aftermarket batteries out yet with the correct connector?
Rcbabbel here on the forums has some good ones. PM him for details.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
I just had my first crash into the grass and learned what the first thing is that goes.
The gear on the main shaft that drives the tail shaft stripped.
I think you have to take the whole frame apart to replace it too.

Nd of course I don't have THAT gear.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree. This heli just feels SO smooth in the air (except for the shakes that I keep getting). It's a blast to fly circuits and figure 8's with for sure. It definitely flies bigger than it is. It feels more like a 450 to me. And it's crazy fast if you want it to be. I was testing it out on some fast forward flight last night and was blown away.

It's also very durable. I did end up crashing it one time last night. I got bold and tried to piro during a flip... I didn't work out so well. Those guys make that stuff look so easy! LOL!! But I hit throttle hold and she slammed into the ground pretty hard. ZERO damage. And I mean none. I combed over the thing for a while I couldn't find anything wrong. So I set her back down and off she went again!

I crashed mine into grass using throttle hold and canopy came off but, no damage. This thing flies great and will take some abuse. I like it a lot.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
OK HH has most of parts in stock, can't wait to order all necessary parts.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
OK HH has most of parts in stock, can't wait to order all necessary parts.
Order at least $50 worth so you get free shipping. You know you're gonna need them anyway...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)