HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
Pretty tough...Almost killed a $4500 plank though.lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3wCr308VfA

Not me by the way.
Wow, that's an awesome pilot!
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Wow, that's an awesome pilot!
That's Darrin Reid, Align pilot aka 'trainwreckk'
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:38 PM
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
464 Posts
I had no choice but to cut the original connector off because 1 battery for a new heli just isn't going to cut it. I soldiered a micro deans on the heli and converted the stock battery to micro deans and Jst balancer plug while I was at it so I can use my regular charger. I have 4 nano techs 300's and 7 Electrifly 250's I can use untill better batteries are available.

I flew them all today with no trouble ran it for 3 minutes each. Looks like I can get 3 minutes at 100% throttle and 4 at 80.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
Pretty tough...Almost killed a $4500 plank though.lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3wCr308VfA

Not me by the way.
Awesome flying! I saw this vid on HeliFreak yesterday and it blew me away. Do you know how long this guy has been flying heli's?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
720 Posts
DX8 neutral issue

I experienced slow tail drift on my Embla 450E with Microbeast and T-Rex 450S with Gyrobot 900.

I cheked the rudder servo monitor for my DX8.
Although the subtirm and the trim were set to zero, the monitor showed -1.
I applied a few clicks and the monitor showed zero.
I applied clicks until the monitor showed +1.
I counted the clicks from-1 to +1 and applied the half of the clicks for zero/neutral.

Then the tail drift disappeared.

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Last edited by cvlex; Jul 01, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I bought mine from HobbyKing but if I had to do it again I would buy from http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...bdlovg8ue1l632

Although they charge $10.00 more than I paid at HobbyKing by the time I paid shipping and customs it would have been cheaper to buy it stateside and much faster service.

Bob
Wow, that's a monster charger for someone who just started! Looks nice, though. I just have a Hobby King Quattro 4X6 and a converted HP server power supply. It's worked okay to this point and will still work fine with 130 X batts. I'll just have to split them over the four charge channels. At 5A per channel, I can still charge a lot of batteries quickly. I could do 4 batts at 4C (Hyperion, not stock) and still be under 5A on a single channel. But, if I ever get into electric helis larger than 450s, I'll definitely need a charger with more muscle.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPINE View Post
I had no choice but to cut the original connector off because 1 battery for a new heli just isn't going to cut it. I soldiered a micro deans on the heli and converted the stock battery to micro deans and Jst balancer plug while I was at it so I can use my regular charger. I have 4 nano techs 300's and 7 Electrifly 250's I can use untill better batteries are available.

I flew them all today with no trouble ran it for 3 minutes each. Looks like I can get 3 minutes at 100% throttle and 4 at 80.
Better batteries are already available. See RCBabbel for Hyperion 320 & 450 mAh packs, and also Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c packs that are a direct-fit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540831

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Got my 130X on Friday, UPS came right as we were closing the office.

Hovered it in my living room Saturday morning and taking it out to the field today.

Those E-flight batteries are expensive... I found some Turnigy nano-tech 300mah 2S 35~70C Lipo packs at Hobby King for $3.58 each - dimensions are a bit different but they should work... hopefully (I ordered 5 of them)
octanejunkie is offline Find More Posts by octanejunkie
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,279 Posts
wow, this looks like a really cool little heli !
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Wow, that's a monster charger for someone who just started! Looks nice, though.
Yeah maybe but I am going for the gusto. I already have 15 batteries to charge and will be buying another 24 for my different helis'.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:21 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,219 Posts
Well I just had my first sucessful hover, with the 130x, of a radio control heli for the first time in 20 years.

I first flew r/c helicopters starting in 1985 with a GMP Cricket. I was the only heli flyer in my club, and in the area, for years before a couple guys started in the early '90's. Learned to hover with the Cricket (without a gyro at first), learned forward flight with a GMP/Hirobo Shuttle, learned aerobatics on a Kyosho Concept DX then later a SE, and finally messed around with a GMP Rebel before getting burned out with heli's in '91. I have flown r/c since the summer of '73 and after giving up heli's in '91 never felt the urge to fly them again until a flying buddy started back up again with a mcPx.

Anyway, it took me a few tries to re-sync my brain and after having it flop around a few times I was able to pop it off the ground and was able to lock it into a solid hover for rest of the battery. I even moved it around slowly and landed it back on the spot on the driveway I took off from. Heady stuff for 54 year old guy who wishes I had the reflexes I had 20 years ago.

The technology in this little bird is incredible compared to the heli's I used to fly and the convenience of being able to practice in the front yard will be a big plus as I knock 20 plus years of rust off my skills. Going to need more batteries....

dawg
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I first flew r/c helicopters starting in 1985 with a GMP Cricket. ...
Dang, man, you're a better pilot than I. I tried to learn on a Cricket but finally learned on an Schluter SX-81 in the 80's. What a smooth sweet flying bird that was! BTW, I'm 53.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:33 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Well I just had my first sucessful hover, with the 130x, of a radio control heli for the first time in 20 years.

I first flew r/c helicopters starting in 1985 with a GMP Cricket. I was the only heli flyer in my club, and in the area, for years before a couple guys started in the early '90's. Learned to hover with the Cricket (without a gyro at first), learned forward flight with a GMP/Hirobo Shuttle, learned aerobatics on a Kyosho Concept DX then later a SE, and finally messed around with a GMP Rebel before getting burned out with heli's in '91. I have flown r/c since the summer of '73 and after giving up heli's in '91 never felt the urge to fly them again until a flying buddy started back up again with a mcPx.

Anyway, it took me a few tries to re-sync my brain and after having it flop around a few times I was able to pop it off the ground and was able to lock it into a solid hover for rest of the battery. I even moved it around slowly and landed it back on the spot on the driveway I took off from. Heady stuff for 54 year old guy who wishes I had the reflexes I had 20 years ago.

The technology in this little bird is incredible compared to the heli's I used to fly and the convenience of being able to practice in the front yard will be a big plus as I knock 20 plus years of rust off my skills. Going to need more batteries....

dawg

Interesting you mention the GMP Cricket as last summer in a second hand store I saw the remains of an old heli. I bought it for 50 bucks and restored it over this last winter. It was a Cricket! All the parts were there except the canopy which is still available. Any way I had the maiden this last friday! She flew great with the original OS max 28 heli head motor. I still have to crank in alittle more pitch with my two crescent wrenches though lol. I am using an old 401 gyro and the tail holds well. A very interesting American made old machine from the early 1980's .
By the way congrats on your return to heli's!! In the 1980's I was all airplanes and started heli's in the late 1990's. But I do remember seeing GMP Cricket ads in the magazines.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; Jul 01, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:37 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,219 Posts
The Cricket is a classic. Many a heli pilot from that day learn on that very basic machine. Basic but very functional. Have fun with it.
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
479 Posts
It is a lovely old bird isn't she!! I want to find the Huey GMP model to restore and maybe a competitor! When I go to fun flys I like to bring unusual stuff so the Cricket will bring smiles to I am sure. I also fly autogyros at them too.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI