SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
DT (Dart Tin) 550E, mCPX BL
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeallen View Post
nice flyng! too bad your tail blade came apart... it would be one thing if it was a loose bolt, but for the blade to fail and pull out is pretty crappy.
Looks like everyone should go over the heli out of the box and tighten all the screws. Thats pretty common for 'out of the box' helis.
Keep in mind that these are mass produced parts and its an unfortunate fact that not all parts sold to the dealer should have been sold in the first place. As they perfect the molding process, the parts quality will get better and better (more accurate to the original tail blade or other part produced).
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Toward the end of the flight you can see it started to piro all of a sudden and I pegged the rudder the right/oppposite of the rotation with no reponse. I even wiggled the rudder before it hit and still no reaction. After it hit I noticed one of the tail blades was gone but the bolt holding it was still there. I couldn't find the blade at all and I searched near by the crash site. I think it shot the tail blade then it started to piro and there was nothing I could do.
And, here we go... mCP X blade slinging nightmare type early release issue #2?

Quote:
I guess I need to contact Horizon but they will want me to mail the entire helicopter to them I bet.
Tell them you will not be sending the entire heli in on the phone. Do not let them try to tell you to send the whole thing in for such an obvious issue. They wanted me to send stuff in before for little issues and I just asked for the parts. They sent them. Be nice, but firm.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinewbie617 View Post
Keep in mind that these are mass produced parts and its an unfortunate fact that not all parts sold to the dealer should have been sold in the first place. As they perfect the molding process, the parts quality will get better and better (more accurate to the original tail blade or other part produced).
It's plastic. Every single one of Horizon/Blade's helis is a predominantly plastic helicopter. They should have had that molding process "perfected" LONG ago...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
130X maiden

Picked mine up, copied the mCP X program to a new slot in my Futaba 10CHP, checked the controls, popped in a Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c pack from RCBabbel, spooled her up, settled into a hover, let go of the sticks, and she hovered hands-off. I rarely bother with dual-rates on anything. I surely didn't need low rates on my brushless mCP X. But I'll be setting up low rates on this bird!

It's 100 F with zero wind. Packs are charging!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
It's plastic. Every single one of Horizon/Blade's helis is a predominantly plastic helicopter. They should have had that molding process "perfected" LONG ago...
You'd think. But I did buy a replacement swash for my mCPX a few weeks ago that had a manufacturing defect, one of the ball links was half the size it should have been. So maybe there are issues.
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak View Post
You'd think. But I did buy a replacement swash for my mCPX a few weeks ago that had a manufacturing defect, one of the ball links was half the size it should have been. So maybe there are issues.
Obviously...

But, I will say that I can't recall ever having a Blade plastic part fail on me that hadn't been crashed several times. I've never received a malformed one as a spare part, either. Guess I've been lucky. The part that failed early on with my "Sling Blade" mCP X was the metal bearing, not plastic, mmmm Hmmmmm....
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Hate to sound like a "nanny", but be sure to nail down all your hovering orientations first. Tail in, left side, right side, tail out (i.e. the dreaded "nose in") and the 45 degree offsets. The sim, boring as it is, makes it fun to go banging away in forward flight and try aerobatics before getting the basics down pat first. Makes it too easy, really, because there's no "consequence" to crashing. Yes, the sim is BORING, but it will save you down time and crash bucks down the road.
Absolutely correct. One can't fly circuits without being proficient in all orientations.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Good to hear that I made the right decision on getting a sim. I flew the sim at my LHS last week and tried flying CP. I knew right then and there I was in big trouble and decided to purchase it.

Bob
Wise man. It's going to save you money and aggravation.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
I wonder why Blade didn't put JST connectors on the batteries and ESC? Now I can't balance or parallel charge with those e-flite connectors.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Quote:
I wonder why Blade didn't put JST connectors on the batteries and ESC? Now I can't balance or parallel charge with those e-flite connectors.

Bob
Anything with the word E-Flite on it gets a soldering job in my house.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Anything with the word E-Flite on it gets a soldering job in my house.
Yep, I imagine that would automatically void the warranty but of you have a dozen batteries that could be charged in one hour instead of one battery in one hour......

Bob
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I imagine that would automatically void the warranty but of you have a dozen batteries that could be charged in one hour instead of one battery in one hour......

Bob
battery warranty?

I 'll solder an adaptor on the ESC on something like this.

I plan on using my own batteries, I don't worry about battery warranties with 2s packs.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:

Bob
I know. I can't use my programmable charger with the 130x battery either.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,464 Posts
The main and tail rotor blades come very loose. Do you guys tighten them similar to the mCPX or leave them loose? I flew the maiden flight with the rotors loose and it flew just fine.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
battery warranty?

I 'll solder an adaptor on the ESC on something like this.

I plan on using my own batteries, I don't worry about battery warranties with 2s packs.
No, helicopter warranty.