HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Shouldn't you be able to get a replacement from HH? You mentioned that it would cost you $80 to determine if that was the problem.
I've tried... They don't like me They said I need a new 3 in 1... and sat there silent.... They asked me if I ever crashed it. Uh who hasnt crashed their heli? I guess that's when I was supposed to lie and say no.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
I've tried... They don't like me They said I need a new 3 in 1... and sat there silent.... They asked me if I ever crashed it. Uh who hasnt crashed their heli? I guess that's when I was supposed to lie and say no.
No, during the silence you say "how soon can you send me a working replacement?" I wouldn't think they would void the warranty on the 3-n-1 board due to a crash unless it is physically damaged.

I would call them back and tell them what you've found and ask them to send you a new board. Of course, they may ask you to send the heli in to them to check out.
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
No, during the silence you say "how soon can you send me a working replacement?" I wouldn't think they would void the warranty on the 3-n-1 board due to a crash unless it is physically damaged.

I would call them back and tell them what you've found and ask them to send you a new board. Of course, they may ask you to send the heli in to them to check out.
You are always at their mercy and fortunately in my case they have always been very merciful. They pointed out that their legal warranty lasts until you open the box. It certainly does not last through the first flight. So they understand that that is pretty restrictive and bend the rules on a regular basis.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:13 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,059 Posts
The only thing that would give me pause in this specific instance is the number of admitted crashes and also non-stock parts installed... at some point, even if you are the usually magnanimous HH, you would have to ask "Whose problem should this be at this point?'
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:04 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Lots of us don't crash our helis 50 times in the first week after getting it (if you have that problem, it IS a problem, and it's your responsibility). If Horizon is supporting crash damage they are going WAY above and beyond what they should. If you crash your helicopter - there is no such thing as a little crash - all helicopter crashes are random and any time you send that shock through the unit, you are doing damage. If you've crashed into anything at any speed, you have ZERO warranty claims. Anyone who has crashed enough helicopters knows that in two identical crashes you can have nothing break, or you can break every part on the machine - it is completely random! So if your board is fried and you even nicked the blade on something, it is reasonable to say that failure is potentially due to crash damage and you don't have a warranty claim.

It is interesting that Horizon is subject to complaints about high prices while getting accolades for customer service, when customers are screwing them for free stuff all the time. If you want to keep prices low, that's a two way street.

Furthermore, no modified helicopter no matter how small the modification, should ever be eligible for warranty claims. Horizon engineers build these things to work together, and when you make a mod, you don't know if you've done something that just passes the stress to some other part. I can easily understand how something like changing the tail drive, changing the tail servo, even changing the tail blades, could fry the board. Tolerances are tight - if you add 10% stress to that tail servo, how do you know it shouldn't fail?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:06 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
You make a valid point about the sensitivity of the parts and as well about the generous return policy of HH, of which I myself have been very grateful for, however, lets not forget the other side to this, and that is that HH as a manufacturer does enjoy the very rare position of selling their products mainly through hobby shops where returns are very rare and highly scrutinized. They don't have to absorb the high cost of accepting mass returns like most manufactures do. If you return something to my lhs it HAS to be unused, and they still might not take it. Buy just about anything in walmart or home depot or best buy or just about any retail store under the sun and you can return it within a couple of weeks no questions asked, regardless of if you've used it or not. The manufacturer has to take it back and absorb the cost.
In my opinion, this huge savings in cost allows HH to extend a more generous return policy by mail. They do go above and beyond, I do admit, but they still are much further ahead of the game than the others. Keep in mind, any time a product is returned to the store, the manufacturer gives the money back!
With HH, this rarely ever happens, they keep the money, so rather than losing the whole purchase price, they lose the cost of shipping out one component. Most manufacturers would kill for a policy like this, where all sales are final, no money is ever returned, and instead, faulty components are shipped out, and the customer does the repair at home. Yes their policy is generous, but all things considered, it kind of has to be.

On the second point about if you crashed it even a little it should be void, lets be realistic, we're not buying vases here, these things crash, this IS what they do. Even in the videos where top pros are demonstrating them, THEY crash them. I would go so far as to say that crashing is officially part of flying, not the rare exception. HH knows this full well. They can't turn around and say "what? you crashed it??" If you're going to be in this business, you have to be prepared to incorporate a certain tolerance into your return policy for components that have come from crashed vehicles. I'm not saying take back a crashed heli, or even a cracked canopy or broken tail boom, but if the 3in1 fried, or the motor suddenly burnt, you can't stand back and say, "oh, wait, was it involved in a crash?" It would be disingenuous and simply a way to cop out of taking back defects.

Like I said from the start, because I'm not trying to argue, your points are valid, but there has to be an expectancy of flexibility here as well, there can't be a zero policy on things like crashes, in fact far from it, it's the nature of the product.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Like I said from the start, because I'm not trying to argue, your points are valid, but there has to be an expectancy of flexibility here as well, there can't be a zero policy on things like crashes, in fact far from it, it's the nature of the product.
That's where we disagree, and it's a common disagreement, not an argument, we just see it differently. Crashes are your fault, and the manufacturer has no liability for you crashing, and the only exception I make is when the crash was caused by the product being faulty. If you dumb-thumb it even once, your warranty is over. HH is pretty lenient on that, and I would probably not be. I haven't crashed my Nano and I got it right away when it was released. It is perfectly reasonable to have one of these things for a long time with no crashes, and I disagree that crashing is part of the design. They are designed to fly, not to crash into solid objects.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,630 Posts
Just picked up on of these in the classifieds for $90 with 15 flights on it never crashed.
Just needs a new canopy mount, he accidentally broke while taking the canopy off.
Does anyone have a spare box that they could part with?
Makes a good carrying case.
Alex
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:20 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That's where we disagree, and it's a common disagreement, not an argument, we just see it differently. Crashes are your fault, and the manufacturer has no liability for you crashing, and the only exception I make is when the crash was caused by the product being faulty. If you dumb-thumb it even once, your warranty is over. HH is pretty lenient on that, and I would probably not be. I haven't crashed my Nano and I got it right away when it was released. It is perfectly reasonable to have one of these things for a long time with no crashes, and I disagree that crashing is part of the design. They are designed to fly, not to crash into solid objects.
My point is that although you may never crash your helis, I would assume that "almost" everybody else does, especially the micros, and although I agree that helis were not designed for the purpose of crashing, crashing is an expected consequence, and although nobody would expect them to take back a crashed heli, an allowance has to be made when replacing "certain" defective parts without the condition that it was not ever involved in a crash.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:35 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,253 Posts
I would say that since the board is encased pretty well that it will survive most crashes most of the time, but not always. This is the best little heli out there, and even if they wouldn't warranty my board, I would buy another one off ebay or the LHS etc. I would say if you're persistent about it being defective instead of damaged by yourself (even possibly) then there's a good chance of getting satisfaction. But if they disagree with you, then it doesn't pay to get upset about it. (not that anyone is). Like I say, I would buy another because I absolutely LOVE this heli. I've bought cheap receivers and put them in cheap planes causing the plane to crash. I can't hold the cheap receiver guys responsible for my use of their bad product. I knew I was taking a chance. It's part of the hobby.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:50 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
DX7 Setup question

I am setting up my Dx7 and I ran into a problem.

In the user manual, it says to set the Gyro sensitivity to INH

My radio doesn't let me INH that function. I can only choose between Auto and Rudder switch.

If I cannot inhibit the Gyro sensitivity, what should I set it to?

My 300x and 450x were set to....

0:77%
1:77%

per manual.

????
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I am setting up my Dx7 and I ran into a problem.

In the user manual, it says to set the Gyro sensitivity to INH

My radio doesn't let me INH that function. I can only choose between Auto and Rudder switch.

If I cannot inhibit the Gyro sensitivity, what should I set it to?

My 300x and 450x were set to....

0:77%
1:77%

per manual.

????
Try setting AUX2 to AUX2 instead of GYRO in the INPUT SELECT page of the system menu. Page 73 of the manual I have.

Not sure it matters any way. Pretty sure the 130X ignores the gyro gain channel.
You have to enter programming mode to adjust the gains.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:38 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Try setting AUX2 to AUX2 instead of GYRO in the INPUT SELECT page of the system menu. Page 73 of the manual I have.

Not sure it matters any way. Pretty sure the 130X ignores the gyro gain channel.
You have to enter programming mode to adjust the gains.

Pat MacKenzie
A couple of weeks ago I tried to send a varying command on the rudder gyro channel 5 and it ignored it.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
My love hate relationship with my Blade 130Xs is back to love again. My vibration issue has been solved for the moment (metal TT resonance), and I upgraded the motor yet again to deal with my less than stellar collective management (HP08S to HP10S, both 10T pinions). I love how much power it has now-may have been interesting to see what an 11T pinion would have generated.

I actually made it through all 6 batteries today on a single 130X (usually only get 2-3 batteries in on 2 130Xs before they break, either from a crash or vibes). I did crash a couple times (no surprise given how I was flying as you'll see in the video), and the all metal gearing held up great. The only downside to this much power, is if you strike something before you hit throttle hold, the pinion will strip a section of the main gear - how much depends on how fast you are with the throttle hold switch.

Upgraded, upgraded Blade 130X (4 min 5 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
More 130X flying - trying to get comfortable with inverted flying. I'll dumb thumb the recovery every now and then and still get my rudder inputs reversed, but I'd say it's coming along. You can hear in the video, that I stripped a small section of the main gear. Going to have to buy more main gears.

Glad I have this heli and my nano taking the abuse so my larger helis don't have to.

Blade 130X Inverted Practice (4 min 4 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277