HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:49 PM
DS Addict
ALEX HEWSON's Avatar
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,011 Posts
Has anyone used one of these on the tail?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:57 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
I have yet to break a landing skid, but I've been amazed at how well this Plastruct Plastic Weld (Google that to see a picture) works on other parts made of the same plastic. In my experience, stuff that gets hard (CA and Epoxy) isn't much use on this type of flexible, waxy plastic. Others have reported success with hot glue as well - also flexible.
I just got back from the LHS where I picked up Plastruct Weldene, but after reading from the manufacturer's web site, I see that their Weldene product only works on Styrene plastic. I'm guessing that's not what the landing skid is made of, is it?

... because it didn't bond either. I didn't realize there were different varieties of this stuff. I need the Plastic Weld (as you said)?

Thanks
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I had this crazy buzzing vibration thing going on in the tail shaft
so I pulled the tail shaft and put several drops of thick oil on it, re installed the shaft and dang it is smooth as butter now!!
Sounds like you have most likely covered up a mechanical problem with high-viscosity oil. Pretty much all of the possible root-causes & solutions for the tail vibration problems that some of us have experienced have been covered in this thread. If you haven't dynamically balanced the tail rotor assy, I suggest that you do so, as an unbalanced rotating assy is often the root-cause of tail vibrations on this bird. Also check for play in the tail-shaft bearings, pitch-slider, and the ball-end of the rudder pushrod. In some cases, the problem has been an out-of-square tail-shaft. In my case, the tail vibes were caused by excessive play in the tail-shaft bearings and an unbalanced rotating assy. After addressing those issues, mine has been smooth as silk for over 25 hours of flying. I can do scale spool-ups with zero vibes at any RPM, and I don't feel any vibes at any RPM when touching the tail with a finger.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sounds like you have most likely covered up a mechanical problem with high-viscosity oil. Pretty much all of the possible root-causes & solutions for the tail vibration problems that some of us have experienced have been covered in this thread. If you haven't dynamically balanced the tail rotor assy, I suggest that you do so, as an unbalanced rotating assy is often the root-cause of tail vibrations on this bird. Also check for play in the tail-shaft bearings, pitch-slider, and the ball-end of the rudder pushrod. In some cases, the problem has been an out-of-square tail-shaft. In my case, the tail vibes were caused by excessive play in the tail-shaft bearings and an unbalanced rotating assy. After addressing those issues, mine has been smooth as silk for over 25 hours of flying. I can do scale spool-ups with zero vibes at any RPM, and I don't feel any vibes at any RPM when touching the tail with a finger.

Joel
The buzzing vibrations I was having had nothing to do with the tail rotor
the metal shaft going through the boom was causing a buzzing type vibration on my heli that was on and off... the vibrations were not consistent so I thought what the heck and oiled the shaft as I knew this could not hurt anything... the KBDD tail blades work great and needed no balancing...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
The buzzing vibrations I was having had nothing to do with the tail rotor
the metal shaft going through the boom was causing a buzzing type vibration on my heli that was on and off... the vibrations were not consistent so I thought what the heck and oiled the shaft as I knew this could not hurt anything... the KBDD tail blades work great and needed no balancing...
Now I get it. You lubed the torque-tube, not the tail-shaft. The torque-tube (it's still called the TT even though it's not hollow in this case) drives the tail-shaft, to which the tail blades are attached. Gotta keep the terminology straight.

I've heard of a few cases where the TT was contacting the boom & causing trouble, but have not experienced the issue on mine.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Now I get it. You lubed the torque-tube, not the tail-shaft. The torque-tube (it's still called the TT even though it's not hollow in this case) drives the tail-shaft, to which the tail blades are attached. Gotta keep the terminology straight.

I've heard of a few cases where the TT was contacting the boom & causing trouble, but have not experienced the issue on mine.

Joel
That's the one!
yeah it sounded like it was touching and making a buzzing vibration, but now all good
this little heil is seriously a cool machine
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:33 PM
Registered User
CatBird's Avatar
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I just got back from the LHS where I picked up Plastruct Weldene, but after reading from the manufacturer's web site, I see that their Weldene product only works on Styrene plastic. I'm guessing that's not what the landing skid is made of, is it?

... because it didn't bond either. I didn't realize there were different varieties of this stuff. I need the Plastic Weld (as you said)?
From what I understand, Plastruct makes three variations from safer/weaker to nasty/powerful. Weldene is the safest, Plastic Weld is the most powerful. I've used it on a couple of high-stress areas and they're still holding well. I was doubtful but prepared to replace the part anyway, but the Plastic Weld made it nice and gooey on both joining surfaces, I held it a few minutes, and a few hours later it was good to go.
CatBird is online now Find More Posts by CatBird
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,173 Posts
I have several Lipo packs I'm trying out for this heli
all are being put on a 3amp load with my charger for 3min
that is the max I can pull with my charger
My packs I'm trying out....
Thunder Power 325mah 65c ( 21.125a )
Nano-Tech 350mah 65c ( 22.75a )
Hyperion 500mah 35c ( 17.5a )
Xtreme 450mah 65c ( 29.25a )
Pulse 450mah 30c ( 13.5a )
Giant Power 450mah 50c ( 22.5a )
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:40 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
Is that to say the Xtreme delivered the most amps over a 3 minute span and so on? What does the 29.25a represent? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in reading your findings report.
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:22 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I have several Lipo packs I'm trying out for this heli
all are being put on a 3amp load with my charger for 3min
that is the max I can pull with my charger
My packs I'm trying out....
Thunder Power 325mah 65c ( 21.125a )
Nano-Tech 350mah 65c ( 22.75a )
Hyperion 500mah 35c ( 17.5a )
Xtreme 450mah 65c ( 29.25a )
Pulse 450mah 30c ( 13.5a )
Giant Power 450mah 50c ( 22.5a )
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Is that to say the Xtreme delivered the most amps over a 3 minute span and so on? What does the 29.25a represent? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in reading your findings report.
Garry K.
That's the "rated" power of the packs
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:23 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
Oh,, OK,,,,, I wander how many amps mine draws?
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Oh,, OK,,,,, I wander how many amps mine draws?
Garry K.
Average would be about 0.350*60/5 = 4.2 amps. Give or take a couple of amps.

(5 minute flight using 350 mAhr)
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:37 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Oh,, OK,,,,, I wander how many amps mine draws?
Garry K.
I pull about 3.6 amp cont.
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
So any of those batteries can deliver the demand without even breathing hard?
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
For hovering, yes.
But as soon as you get more aggressive with the collective the current capability becomes important.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New in the box E-Flite Taylorcraft ARF Kit plus High Performance E-Flite components Philscho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 19, 2012 12:25 AM
For Sale E-Flite 300 32e SHP ****SOLD*** E-Flite still aviable tomtheman Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 28, 2012 08:01 PM
Sold E-flite 60A ESC w/ E-flite Brushless 1010kV Motor joshfneptune Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 05, 2012 08:18 PM
Discussion E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 ARF Kit and High Power E-Flite electrical components $300 Philscho Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 02, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion E-Flite Su-26 and E-flite Extra 260 repair Joe Slow Crash Discussion 1 Sep 27, 2011 11:50 AM