HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:59 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
I personally dont like any vibration, but im relieved to find out balancing it will help. Im still not happy with the fact i gotta use subtrim, but once i got it all dialed in, it seems pretty stable, like a big mcpx with power and a tail that holds. Everyone has opinions, but i do try to balance everything, even airplane props. Whats the most accurate way to balance, a gram scale? Thanks for your help.
Keithy,

Dynamic balancing is the way to go on this bird. Remove the main blades & slowly spool it up on the bench to check the vibration. If needed, gently bump the rudder stick or rotate the bird about its yaw-axis to center the rudder so that the tail doesn't pull in either direction. Put a small strip of clear tape on one blade near the middle & spool-up again. If the vibes get worse, move the tape to the other blade & recheck. Add or remove tape as needed. Rinse & repeat. When you get it close, you should be able to do a scale spool-up without the tail going nuts at any point in the RPM range.

If balancing the rotor doesn't allow you to do a scale spool-up without the resonance, you may have gotten one of the few birds that have out-of-square tail-shafts. Also, check for excessive radial play in the tail shaft bearings. Sloppy TS bearings were the root-cause of the tail vibes on mine.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Keithy,

Dynamic balancing is the way to go on this bird. Remove the main blades & slowly spool it up on the bench to check the vibration. If needed, gently bump the rudder stick or rotate the bird about its yaw-axis to center the rudder so that the tail doesn't pull in either direction. Put a small strip of clear tape on one blade near the middle & spool-up again. If the vibes get worse, move the tape to the other blade & recheck. Add or remove tape as needed. Rinse & repeat. When you get it close, you should be able to do a scale spool-up without the tail going nuts at any point in the RPM range.

If balancing the rotor doesn't allow you to do a scale spool-up without the resonance, you may have gotten one of the few birds that have out-of-square tail-shafts. Also, check for excessive radial play in the tail shaft bearings. Sloppy TS bearings were the root-cause of the tail vibes on mine.

Joel
Ok, thanks, i also have a boca bearing kit coming for my 130x, so if there are any bearings with loose tolerances, that should help, thanks again.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Keithy,

Joel
Joel, thanks for all your advise with this "Non- Problem". Looks like many people are taking advantage of it. I found that disconnecting the tail push rod from the slider makes sure that the rudder doesn't move and you get better consistency during the balancing tests.

I mentioned earlier that my new bird came through with a dirty tail servo, bad twitch, and cleaning it fixed it. HH sent me out a new one and I received it last week. I took the advise I received here and checked it out. It also had a bad twitch. Called HH again and asked them to send me another one (#3) but this time test it before sending it and he agreed. I told him that there was a bad batch being produced and his response was that he was unaware of it. What came out of his mouth next amazed me. He asked if I tried to spray the servo out with cleaner. I told him no and I shouldn't have to do this with a new servo. He agreed.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:43 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
An exposed part like these servos can get oxidation build up on the contacts even when not being used. (maybe even especially then.) That's why I would clean a new one, but only if it was acting up.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:58 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
An exposed part like these servos can get oxidation build up on the contacts even when not being used. (maybe even especially then.) That's why I would clean a new one, but only if it was acting up.
Garry K.
Good point. Never thought about oxidation from sitting. Guess I'll be glad that I'll now have 2 free spares. Won't need to look at the DS35 upgrade for a long time.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:45 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
I know what I'm talking about, and I will continue to give the advice that I see fit. I have received many PMs from people thanking me for the advice
Ditto. Try to stop me. Am I not allowed to be annoyed by people wasting their money?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Ditto. Try to stop me. Am I not allowed to be annoyed by people wasting their money?
Another straw-man argument. You keep on arguing things that I have never told anyone to do. Stick to the original topic, which was balancing something that is out-of-balance and is obviously vibrating badly. Balancing the tail rotor isn't wasting money. Replacing an out-of-square tail shaft isn't wasting money, nor is replacing bearings that obviously have excessive slop. And one should be able to do a scale spool-up with any heli. To suggest otherwise is simply being ridiculous. End of story.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
End of story.
As if you can say that and I'll just go away? You are completely misunderstanding me, which is driving me nuts because I am typing in a language you understand. I'm actually not disagreeing with you and I don't know why you think I am. What is annoying me here has been stated a bunch of different ways and you just don't seem to get it. I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain my position any more, but I will continue to advise people to simply buy the helicopter and fly it and if there's any problems, to fix those. If you don't like that, tough.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
As if you can say that and I'll just go away? You are completely misunderstanding me, which is driving me nuts because I am typing in a language you understand. I'm actually not disagreeing with you and I don't know why you think I am. What is annoying me here has been stated a bunch of different ways and you just don't seem to get it. I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain my position any more, but I will continue to advise people to simply buy the helicopter and fly it and if there's any problems, to fix those. If you don't like that, tough.
I get it perfectly, but it has nothing to do with the situation at-hand. You are the one who isn't getting it. Every time someone mentions that they already have a vibration problem (note - I'm not taking about solving problems that don't exist, nor has that ever been the case) & I suggest balancing the tail, you repeat the same old song regarding your pet-peeve - even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the particular situation at-hand. Why do you insist on doing that? Address the specific question I asked, rather than present another straw-man argument.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
How bout that 130X?
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:01 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
How bout that 130X?
Great little machine it is. How's the hand? I've got a great deal on tail servo's
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Great little machine it is. How's the hand? I've got a great deal on tail servo's
Looking pretty rough right on the knuckle. Pretty sure I should have gotten stitches vs just super glue haha.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
130x or BL MCPX...???

Which one do you all prefer as my next buy?
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60 View Post
130x or BL MCPX...???

Which one do you all prefer as my next buy?
I love the 130x so much I can't imagine loving the new little BL mCPx as much. I have and flew the original mCPx and liked it well enough. But I don't even think about flying in anymore... because I have a 130x.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Keithy,

Joel
Thanks for the post.. I'm going to see if this helps mine
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55