SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:05 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
I'm having an issue replacing the tail boom on my 130X and I'm wondering if anyone can offer a bit of guidance.

I've managed to separate the tail boom from the main body, and the torque rod is out of the tube. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the tail boom separated from the rear tail assembly. The pictures below show the two parts that I can't get separated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-TL
"Impact Shock"
1. Drop a washer on the boom so the washer sits on the tail box.
2. Get a wrench, and try that "impact technique, hitting the washer with a wrench or something. Boom slides into the wrench opening.
3. Tail box should pop-out.

The washer prevents the tail box getting damaged
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Page 420
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Has anyone had control of every servo go out? The main motor spools up but thats it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
I think my boards fried didnt realize those were 80 bucks!
It was definitely fried but I have it fixed up and it will be shipped in the morning.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:59 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Is there a fix for the tail vibrations?

I heard something about weighted tail grips???
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:59 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,337 Posts
I have no tail vibrations, shakes or shimmies on my 130x, and adding weights sounds very much like an attempt to mask a more fundamental issue. I would not do it.

I'm sorry that I have no particular other insight or info on this heli, as all I have done is fly mine right out of the box -- have not either studied the parts, nor had to disassemble or fix it yet myself.

But with that said, there are still some common questions you should ask yourself:

* Did it ever fly right, right out of the box? If it did, then when did the vibrating start? Slowly or all at once? After a crash? Or an 'upgrade'?

* Happen in all flight modes -- normal, idle up1, idle up2?

* Does it shake all the time, or only when loaded right? Or left? Or when 'unloaded' in hover?

* Is the frequency of the shake in time to be a motor or shaft or other rotating assy issue, or is it more like a gain/servo/gyro induced type?

* Obviously some common issues with vibrating/ shaky tails can be things like tail blades on wrong or just one of them on the wrong way, loose grips, bent shaft, cracked tail piece at bearing holder, worn or missing teeth on gears, etc, etc.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
I just ran into the same problem that some here are having, wherein the swash plate gradually leans to the right or forward as throttle is increased. I was using the Travel Adjust menu on my DX6i to limit the elevator and aileron control throws. I called HH and discussed the situation with them. The tech I talked with said that limiting control throws using the Travel Adjust menu could cause the problem I was having. He recommended that I erase that model and set up a new one, activating a dual rate switch on the D/R Combo menu and then using the dual rate settings on the D/R Expo menu to limit the control throws. Expo can be used with that method. I set up a new model using those instructions and the swash plate now operates correctly.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Is there a fix for the tail vibrations?

I heard something about weighted tail grips???
If you ended up with one that has a tail vibration out-of-the-box, there are a number of fixes. Many people have posted their symptoms, causes, and fixes in this thread. Of course, the fix that will work on your particular bird is entirely dependent upon the root-cause of the vibration. Dynamically balancing the tail rotor may be all that's needed. Sometimes, just tightening-up the tail servo linkage with an O-ring on the ball is all it takes. It might be sloppy TS bearings. It could be an out-of-square TS. Slop in the pitch-slider can also cause tail vibrations. Or it might be a combination of the above. Weighted tail grips won't fix those problems. Their primary benefit is reduced tail servo load & longer servo life. Some people installed an aluminum tailcase, pitch-slider, and grips without fixing the issue because they failed to determine root-cause. If the tail vibration developed over time or after a crash, there are other possibilities, as well - such as a bent TT, damaged tailboom, damaged/worn gears, or damaged/worn grip bearings. You'll be much better-off troubleshooting the problem, rather than throwing parts at it.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:12 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Sorry guys, I should have made it clear.

I do not own a 130x yet. I am debating on getting the 130x or the brushless mcpx.

I was just wondering about the tail vibration issues, if there was a fix or what guys are doing about it.

Early on, the tail vibes is all I saw on this thread.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sorry guys, I should have made it clear.

I do not own a 130x yet. I am debating on getting the 130x or the brushless mcpx.

I was just wondering about the tail vibration issues, if there was a fix or what guys are doing about it.

Early on, the tail vibes is all I saw on this thread.
Thus is like salting your food before trying it, completely unnecessary and probably harmful. Just get it and fly it, and if there's anything wrong, send it back until you get one that is right. These things are supposed to be RTF... if it's not, you didn't get what you paid for. A whole ton of us are just flying our birds and we aren't complaining, you aren't hearing from those people. This thread is for whining and complaining about the 130X and that's why I don't participate much. It is a fine helicopter, and you're getting a skewed view here.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Thus is like salting your food before trying it, completely unnecessary and probably harmful. Just get it and fly it, and if there's anything wrong, send it back until you get one that is right. These things are supposed to be RTF... if it's not, you didn't get what you paid for. A whole ton of us are just flying our birds and we aren't complaining, you aren't hearing from those people. This thread is for whining and complaining about the 130X and that's why I don't participate much. It is a fine helicopter, and you're getting a skewed view here.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Hey, now - there are a fair number of us on this thread who love this bird, but simply tell it like it is - myself included. Notice that I prefaced my previous comments regarding tail vibes with the word 'IF'. Unfortunately, the tail rotor vibration on mine was most certainly not acceptable for anything that spends its entire life at 20,000 RPM. I made sure that HH aware of the issue, of course. However, I found it to be much quicker to dynamically balance the tail rotor & simply replace the defective TS bearings myself - rather than send it in. Of course, balancing the rotors is simply part of the hobby, and is to be expected with any CP bird - just like how a pilot is expected to balance the prop on any new plane - RTF or not.

At any rate - the 130X flies so well that I considered solving the tail vibe on mine to be a trivial thing. Certainly nothing that warranted a return to HH.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:10 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
- There is NO better flying heli in this class (yet), IMO. Youtube is not going to lie.
- There is NO more durable heli in this class.
- Support is next to nothing.

- The tail vib is known from day one to this date, but fixable and could be 90-100% vibration free after the fix with the help of RCGrps/HF, PERIOD!
- Anyone who wants to fly micro or loves to micro, but afraid of the fact, is missing out!

* Never once it took me more than 15min to get rid of a 130X vib helping friends that I have recommended this to others including my second 130X.

After owning a 130X since it was released, I don't even want fly my other small helis anymore. YES it's that FUN
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:37 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I have only read of one some time back. Can't remember where but, think it was on the HF forum. These motors are solid. My 130x has well over 200 flights on OEM motor and it is running strong after many crashes.
Okay well mine has about 30 flights on it or so and doing just fine although the temps kinda high for stock.. but my friends with about 60 flights on it burned up on him 2 days ago
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:43 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
It was definitely fried but I have it fixed up and it will be shipped in the morning.
Thanks for fixing it.. Looking forward to getting it back in the air.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:34 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
- There is NO better flying heli in this class (yet), IMO. Youtube is not going to lie.
- There is NO more durable heli in this class.
- Support is next to nothing.
It could be a language issue.
Just to be clear, are you saying support is good for the 130X, or bad?
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie