Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:23 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,172 Posts
Well said Spyro37. That's just how I treat mine. After 130 flights, it's still going strong. I have upgraded the swash and tail stuff to alloy metal parts, but didn't need to.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:10 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Well said Spyro37. That's just how I treat mine. After 130 flights, it's still going strong. I have upgraded the swash and tail stuff to alloy metal parts, but didn't need to.
Garry K.
The tail wears out over time even if you don't break it on a crash. So it's just smart to go CNC for more solid or slop free, which I did on both while maintaining the stock weight .
My second 130X has the CNC main blade grips, which added a bit extra weight. BUT with the lighter 350mAh 65CThunder Power, and lighter LynX main blades, it was compensated anyway.
I think that's as far as I would go. Like you said, "don't really need to".
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:50 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,428 Posts
I agree. My 130X has been great! All I did was swap the tailshaft bearings, dynamically balance the tail, and switch to the metal A-gear. Trivial things that only took a few minutes, at most. 30+ hours later, and she's still going strong. I am absolutely amazed at how tough this bird is!! I doubt that there is a tougher 3D heli w/non-motorized tail in existence.

Like Erkq, Spyro, and Garry - after a crash, I just pick it up & fly. Most of the time, it flies just fine. In fact, the only times I've broken anything on this bird were when I lost it in high-G turn while flying balls-to-the-wall at dusk & augered it into rolled sod at ~40 MPH (tail grip, tailshaft, TT), when turbulence slammed it into the sliding glass door while trying to fly the bird back into the house from the deck (broken main blade), and when I stuffed it in the tree the other week, and it fell nose-first onto concrete from 15' AGL (canopy, C-gear).

Regarding a V2 - let's see if I've got this straight. Somebody was told by someone who, while talking with HH CS, overheard someone else at HH mentioning a big announcement. From that tiny morsel of decidedly sketchy info, fixed-wing micro guys think the big announcement will be a new AS3X plane. Heli guys think it will be a 130X V2. I'm sure the ground-pounder guys have their own spin.

Somebody must have turned the rumor mill up to 11.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Somebody heard that it is definitely a liquidation sale. The chances are that a 130X V2 is coming along. But it is rather mysterious with the 300X as that heli is generally reputed to be problem free.
I read about and asked many questions concerning the problems with the 300X (flexing frames, chewed up front servo link, breaking main shafts, randomly darting off in different directions, etc), which is why I chose the 450X instead.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Regarding a V2 - let's see if I've got this straight. Somebody was told by someone who, while talking with HH CS, overheard someone else at HH mentioning a big announcement. From that tiny morsel of decidedly sketchy info, fixed-wing micro guys think the big announcement will be a new AS3X plane. Heli guys think it will be a 130X V2. I'm sure the ground-pounder guys have their own spin.

Somebody must have turned the rumor mill up to 11.

Joel
The rumor mill mention does hold some validity, but it's more than just sketchy information. It's awfully strange how they dropped the price $30 and tossed in $60 or so worth of extras with two spare batteries, the metal A gear and a spare set of blades. The first thing I thought without reading anything else was that they were releasing a V2 because it sure looks like they want to clear out current 130X inventory for some reason. Horizon doesn't generally reduce the price of current helis unless they're being discontinued or updated, as they did with the original mCPX.

Oh, and there actually is a new 3D AS3X equipped airplane. It's announced as their first 3D park flyer, so it looks like the airplane guys were right. That announcement came via email a few days ago.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-PKZ6580

As for the heli guys' big new announcement, well, that's the new brushless main and tail mCPX that was just announced a few days ago, too. A V2 130X is just icing on the cake, should it actually come to pass.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Last edited by harryhenderson; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:19 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,428 Posts
Harry,

The VisionAire is old news to most of us fixed-wing guys (including me), and I've known about the mCPX BL for a few days or so now. I thought you guys were talking about a new announcement. The fixed-wing micro guys are talking about it because HH recently dropped the price on the UMX Gee Bee to 99 bucks.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that airplane was that old. I just got the email about it last week, along with the mCPX BL. Maybe HH is just trying to move inventory since sales are probably slow right after Christmas. Who knows...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,428 Posts
Those of us who follow the UM & 3D fixed-wing threads found out about the VisionAire on Jan 3rd when Chuck gave us the heads-up. HH had a flight video out the same day, and Modelflight in Australia had an unboxing/review up, as well.

Back to the 130X - I do hope they come out with an improved version. I'd gladly install a more robust tail assy & better gears. I'd keep the D-gear plastic, though. Need to have a driveline fuse somewhere, and that's the easiest fuse to replace.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
108 Posts
Yeah Turbo that info was passed to me by My LHS. This is a small shop and he only orders by phone and does it usually while you stand and wait for confirmation, whatever. I am lucky to have a couple Hobbytowns and two local independent shops to hit up when I am so inclined. The price I receive at the independent shop almost always blows the Hobbytowns out of the water and frequently beats the online retailers. He just mentioned to me that HH will have an announcement on a heli or new helis very shortly. I was standing at the counter when the lady at HH told him this info. He really just mentioned it in passing but knew I would be interested. I have no idea what the info would pertain to other than it was heli related. My 130x flys so well I would not even enertain the idea of a new model. It has been rock solid since day one. I did however order the BL MCPX and am really looking forward to it's arrival. My threee MCPXS are totally thrashed and ready for total overhauls. I considered BL but never saw the advantage of hacking around on a stocker. Way to much time and money. This new BL has most def caught my interest.
stablehover is online now Find More Posts by stablehover
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:55 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I heard it is going to be an AS3X Hello Kitty Beast V3 Bi-Plane with fully articulating FPV kitty head

Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I heard it is going to be an AS3X Hello Kitty Beast V3 Bi-Plane with fully articulating FPV kitty head

That thing looks like it would be quite a challenge to fly, even with AS3X.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Hope it's not something old news, just like when they said that are releasing a Pro Series Heli and will be soon announced what it is.
Then, just to find out that it was 550X that a lot of guys already knows about it
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
130x tail wag from the AMA 2013 fixed!! (2 min 38 sec)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
[QUOTE=eranrc;23873177][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?

I was at the AMA show too. Was fun watching the RCs, but did not (or missed) the 130X.
So you flew the 130X in the indoor demo RC show with the tail wag anyway ?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
[QUOTE=Spyro37;23874451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrc View Post
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?

I was at the AMA show too. Was fun watching the RCs, but did not (or missed) the 130X.
So you flew the 130X in the indoor demo RC show with the tail wag anyway ?
eh!eh! I did fly it in a corner with a bright KBDD green neon shirt on. Later I flew a Quad copter demo for Innov8tive Designs

Here's a link where I posted some pics and vids from the AMA show : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809941
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc