HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Not under the tree any more

Been getting my new xmas gift all tuned up and ready to fly.

I ran it up a few times trying to get rid of the tail vibration/resonance, got it better, but still some there.

Then I installed the metal tail drive gear, lubed everything up and ran it up again.

WOW, what a difference, so smooth and quiet, the vibs were actually less, but still there, and when I killed the throttle, it took a LOT longer to spool down.

Looking forward to lift off.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
130x Xtreme-production's Tail grip/tail shaft upgrade (3 min 13 sec)

I'm loving my 130x with all the upgrades :-)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
130x stock with Xtreme-production battery KBDD gear attempting a backward flipping loop (2 min 59 sec)

Enjoy flying the KBDD gear with the stock power system as well....
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
WOW, Excellent flying!
Beat that!
I like the second video... better

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrc View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQStbN_q28A
Enjoy flying the KBDD gear with the stock power system as well....
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
WOW, Excellent flying!
Beat that!
I like the second video... better
eh!eh! Thank you for the support :-)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:52 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Run into a problem rebuilding my tail. I have replaced everything in the tail, tail case, TS, tailshaft, grips, slider, fin, TT and blades. Also, did a complete Boca bearing replacement. Everything spins very smooth until I install the “D” gear, then I get a binding as the gears turn. Without the “D” gear the tail shaft will spin freely and the motor, head and TT are smooth all the way thru the “C” gear. I have replaced the C&D gears with new ones and tried the old bearing for the TT in the tail case. I did remove the TT bearing giving more backlash on the C&D and it will turn freely. Trying to narrow it down I removed the tail case and installed the TT with “C and D” gear, and bearing, off the heli and still have the problem. I’m thinking now of sanding the back of the “C” gear and using a washer where it rides on the bearing and see if this opens the mesh. Has anyone else seen this? Is there something I’m not looking at?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:29 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,243 Posts
I had a similar problem and found that the C gear was not fitting on the torque tube square but was slightly tilted and would bind. I ended up slightly touching up the torque tubewith a file to get the C gear to fit on better and the binding went away. Might be something for you to check.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:09 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
I’m thinking now of sanding the back of the “C” gear . Is there something I’m not looking at?
Yes, that's what you have to do after you replace it with upgraded (KDE?) tail case.
It was (purposely?) made that way, so that you could mesh the C&D gears precisely 'till it's just enough to be friction free.
Lay a fine sand paper on a flat surface and lightly run/sand the C gear over it.
Do it once or twice till you're happy with the mash clearance.

SEE THE RED NOTE:

http://www.kdedirect.com/files/EB130...n_Diagram5.pdf

..... Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Yes, that's what you have to do after you replace it with upgraded (KDE?) tail case.
It was (purposely?) made that way, so the you could mesh the C&D gears precisely 'till it's just enough to be friction free.
Lay a fine sand paper on a flat surface and lightly run/sand the C gear over it.
Do it once or twice till you're happy with the mash clearance.

SEE THE RED NOTE:

http://www.kdedirect.com/files/EB130...n_Diagram5.pdf

..... Spyro
Thanks Spyro, glad to see I was on the right track. Studied and scratched my head a long time last night.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:01 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
728 Posts
My first flight of the New Year 2013.

I replaced the front two bevel gears with AEO-130X02.

cvlex

cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Aug 2009
20 Posts
tail tracking issue

Hey fellow RCers,
I was looking though this post and notice that many of you know a lot about solving tail issues on the 130x. I would like to know all of your thoughts on the issue I am experiencing:

The tail on my blade 130x very slowly and very consistently moves counter-clockwise (about 90 degrees over 10 seconds). I have contacted horizon 4 times and still could not help me out. They told me to check the gears for stripped teeth or a worn out 'D' hole on any of the gears and then when that didn't work they suggested I slide the tail servo 1mm closer to the tail (away from the frame) to ensure sufficient servo travel to move the tail blades. I have upgraded the tail blades to KBDDs and all the moving tail parts have been replaced with Microheli parts and that didn't help. I then replaced the original tail servo with a new blade tail servo but that didn't help either. I tried to fix the problem by adjusting the gyro setting gain on the tail servo too. So far nothing is working for me. Horizon says that if the 3-in-1 board were defective that the board wouldn't send any signal to the servo at all and that my issue is not a result of a "slightly" defective gyro. Any ideas?
Mike_Capflyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Capflyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Capflyer View Post
Hey fellow RCers,
I was looking though this post and notice that many of you know a lot about solving tail issues on the 130x. I would like to know all of your thoughts on the issue I am experiencing:

The tail on my blade 130x very slowly and very consistently moves counter-clockwise (about 90 degrees over 10 seconds). I have contacted horizon 4 times and still could not help me out. They told me to check the gears for stripped teeth or a worn out 'D' hole on any of the gears and then when that didn't work they suggested I slide the tail servo 1mm closer to the tail (away from the frame) to ensure sufficient servo travel to move the tail blades. I have upgraded the tail blades to KBDDs and all the moving tail parts have been replaced with Microheli parts and that didn't help. I then replaced the original tail servo with a new blade tail servo but that didn't help either. I tried to fix the problem by adjusting the gyro setting gain on the tail servo too. So far nothing is working for me. Horizon says that if the 3-in-1 board were defective that the board wouldn't send any signal to the servo at all and that my issue is not a result of a "slightly" defective gyro. Any ideas?
I've never had any drift problems with my 130X, but I've read many times that people are able to fix it with sub trim. I know it's counter intuitive to add trim to a FBL controller, but it seems to work in this case.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:28 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,097 Posts
Sounds like gyro drift. The gyro thinks this slow yaw is actually no yaw. No mechanical or set up fix will solve this, it is an electronic problem.

There is a work around for this:
If your radio has flight mode trims then trim out the drift, but only in idle up. I know everyone says you can't use trim with a HH gyro, but in this case it will work.

If you don't have flight mode trims then simply trim it out in flight, then rezero the trim before the next flight.
You will soon know how many trim clicks it takes to get the drift close to zero.
(You will have to re-zero the trim every time you fly)

Fixed trim or sub trim won't work because the gyro re-zeros every time it powers up. So your sub trim just becomes no trim as far as the gyro is concerned.

You should also make sure you are putting down the heli promptly after connecting the battery and not moving it around. I know with the MCPx this can cause problems with the gyros getting their reference.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Anyone ever had a Boca bearing failure? I had the forward TT bearing totally come apart on the first flight. Only found the inner and outer housing and the cage left on the shaft. Chewed up the frame where I can’t even get the original bearing back in the frame. Hope Boca has good Costumer service. The frame replacement looks like quite a project, getting tired of working on this thing.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Fixed trim or sub trim won't work because the gyro re-zeros every time it powers up. So your sub trim just becomes no trim as far as the gyro is concerned.
Lots of guys over on HF would disagree. According to them, the sub trim "holds" from flight to flight.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)