HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Pat,

I was wondering the same thing. However - they use Finite Element Analysis, so their parts will most likely still be stronger & lighter than the competition's.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It seems odd that Blade's TS is the strongest, but the sloppiest, while the aftermarket shafts are straight & true, but made from 'butter-steel'.

Joel
Seems to be a marketing strategy. "What spare part that customers VERY LIKELY NEED (necessary)?, so let's make upgrades of it, BUT make sure that it won't be the last time that they will buy one ".

It's like why don't they make a canopy made of the same material used for the stock canopy case? Those plastic will never break, even my pair of scisors has problem cutting it . Now that I said that, DON'T THROW THAT CASE, save it & make it as a 130X canopy
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
I flew mine this afternoon in 60+ mph wind, lol. Didn't end well. On second thought, it ended as well as it could have considering. It hovered at a 45 degree angle whether the nose, tail or side was to the wind. Pretty crazy to see actually. Then I had the bright idea of a speed run... Took it up wind, turned nose in and gave it all it had with a 80% flat throttle curved 11t Spin 8000 powered by Hyperion 550's. It had to have broken 100 mph. Looked like it was shot out of a gun as it blistered across the 300' parking lot in mere seconds. Slow down, slow down... uhmm, it's not slowing down... Full + collective to avoid the tree line it's heading towards and into the faster, more turbulent winds. Tried to get it back but lost orientation and hit th 30' above the 60' trees. So after a half hour search I finally find it after the almost 100' plummet expecting the worst and am surprised to find it suffered 0 damage at all. Spooled her up again and flew out of the woods back towards the car. Well, not entirely out of the woods as the scary winds were still out there begging to snatch my heli again. I would have flown the remainder of my packs in the relatively calm woods had I not left them in the car and daylight was fading fast.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I flew mine this afternoon in 60+ mph wind, lol.
Why?
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Because I wanted to.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
I've done 40mph winds. It was interesting, but doable. I would do it again. But 60? I would try it cause it handled 40 very well. Like you said, look out for the downwind run. LOL
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:09 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
KDE Direct is coming out with a line of upgrade parts for the 130X. Looks like some high quality stuff
I'm rebuilding the tail with all stock tail parts and Boca bearings and start upgrading from there. I'll have to try the KDE tailcase. Anybody understand how they are able to add multible bearings on the tailshaft?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
I have a BL mcpx a 130x a trex 450 and bigger heli's. In an area of concern for space or proximity to others I either fly the mcpx or 130x. When at my field I could fly the 450 but would rather fly one of my big gassers. I haven't used my 450 in years. The 300x I am sure is a very fine heli but for me after looking at it,,it is so close in size to a 450 that it wouldn't serve any purpose for me. Both the 300x and trex 450 are too big for a small field ,,too small for the big field. The 130x is the perfect solution for me.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
I have a BL mcpx a 130x a trex 450 and bigger heli's. In an area of concern for space or proximity to others I either fly the mcpx or 130x. When at my field I could fly the 450 but would rather fly one of my big gassers. I haven't used my 450 in years. The 300x I am sure is a very fine heli but for me after looking at it,,it is so close in size to a 450 that it wouldn't serve any purpose for me. Both the 300x and trex 450 are too big for a small field ,,too small for the big field. The 130x is the perfect solution for me.
Good observation and I concur! I had a 450 and got rid of it for the exact same reasons. Contemplated the 300x and realized it is very close in size to the 450, too close for my needs!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
The 300x I am sure is a very fine heli but for me after looking at it,,it is so close in size to a 450 that it wouldn't serve any purpose for me. Both the 300x and trex 450 are too big for a small field ,,too small for the big field. The 130x is the perfect solution for me.
Well, if you fly 3D, you really don't need that much room, but that's exactly why I went with the 450X over the 300X. The 300X just isn't really that much smaller. I like to fly fast and big air, too, so that does require a lot of space. Might as well get the bigger, more powerful heli. I'm glad I did. It flies awesome.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
On the other hand - the 300X is a comfortable size for my north yard, while the 130X is great for flying around my backyard from the deck & maneuvering between the trees. The 130X is also just right for our winter indoor spot - large enough to see against the background, but small enough to really let 'er rip. I'd have to go to the club field to have fun with a 450. If I'm going to the club field, I'd rather fly fixed-wing. If I ever get the urge to fly bigger helis, I'll most likely go with an ICE-powered bird at that point. I'm the same way with fixed-wing. I prefer ICE over electric at scales larger than 'park-size'.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Seems to be a marketing strategy. "What spare part that customers VERY LIKELY NEED (necessary)?, so let's make upgrades of it, BUT make sure that it won't be the last time that they will buy one ".
But, why just that part? I have Lynx main blade grips and swashplate. Those parts seem like they'll last forever. Very well made. Same for my Rakon tail grips and pitch slider. Why would the upgraded shafts be any different?

Quote:
It's like why don't they make a canopy made of the same material used for the stock canopy case? Those plastic will never break, even my pair of scisors has problem cutting it . Now that I said that, DON'T THROW THAT CASE, save it & make it as a 130X canopy
Weight? Maybe it's more difficult to color that injection molded plastic type?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Good observation and I concur! I had a 450 and got rid of it for the exact same reasons. Contemplated the 300x and realized it is very close in size to the 450, too close for my needs!

Pete

They might be close to the same in size (though still quite a difference) but they do not fly like a normal 450. Maybe a Blade 300x and 450x are similar but the 300x does not fly similar in power and speed to any of my last 450s that I have built.

My 450s have always taken a bit more room, though I can still park fly it. My last 300 I flew almost anywhere I did my 130's just not as many (or sometimes not at all) high speed maneuvers flying it. I flew the 300x all the time in my office when it was raining (rains often in Washington).

Even though I had issues with my last 300 elevator link and motor bell rubbing, I just bought another 300x yesterday (such a good price i couldnt pass up). Though of course I wont be getting rid of my 130's anytime soon
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Even though I had issues with my last 300 elevator link and motor bell rubbing,
Is that still a big deal with the frame flexing? That and the mysteriously breaking main shafts (possibly caused by the same frame flexing), along with the AR7200BX causing the heli to dart off to the right from motor vibes is what pushed me to the 450X.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
Weight? Maybe it's more difficult to color that injection molded plastic type?
I think the packaging is PETG, which i use for vacuum forming all time. It is hard to find it colored but HH shouldnt have a hard time doing customized color or even printed color plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
Is that still a big deal with the frame flexing? That and the mysteriously breaking main shafts (possibly caused by the same frame flexing), along with the AR7200BX causing the heli to dart off to the right from motor vibes is what pushed me to the 450X.
The ar7200bx is the same flybarless controller I have had in many heli's without issue. But if vibes was an issue for some it is easy enough to remount with better foam tape. These are RTF/BNF helis so it woulndt surprise me if some of the ar7200bx's were not mounted perfect.

The frame flexing for most I would think is not a big deal at all. When I sport flew it never flexed even with tight loops. Since I olnly owned one 300x at this time I am not sure if it was my individual heli or it was the constant flipping and tic tocs I did with it that made it flex. Either way it shouldnt flex enough ever for the rub to happen. If it happens this time around I will give in and purchase Dylans frame braces.

Even with frame flexing I never had any issues with the main shaft so I cant say about that.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed