HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
What are angular contact bearings and what would be the advantage in this application? I currently have the weighted tail grips from Rakon and they work very well.
Spyro & I were referring to main grips - not tail grips. The advantage in this app is that angular contact bearings are designed to take radial and axial loads, and they typically operate under preload so they have no play, whereas radial bearings have limited axial load capability and a fair amount of axial play.

Bearing info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_be...ngular_contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Those gears look interesting, though I havent worn or stripped any gears yet.
I might have to get a set when they come out.
I'm well past the 30-hr mark on mine, and the only gear damage I've had so far is the rounded-out hole in the C-gear that I mentioned Sunday before last.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Spyro & I were referring to main grips - not tail grips. The advantage in this app is that angular contact bearings are designed to take radial and axial loads, and they typically operate under preload so they have no play, whereas radial bearings have limited axial load capability and a fair amount of axial play.
"I'm hoping that the new tail-shaft & grips with angular contact bearings from Xtreme Production will be just what we're looking for. "

That lead me to believe you were talking about tail grips when asking about the angular bearings.

As for those bearings, I just really can't see that being all that much of an issue for these little helis. Both my Lynx and stock blade grips fly just fine with standard radial bearings.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing you crash occasionally like the rest of do, yet you haven't even rounded out the hole in a C or D gear? That's questionably impressive.
I have not crashed my 130's and have not had any rounded holes and I do check my gears often. I have had a few close calls where I have almost crashed. I try to fly them within my limits when close to the ground, though sometimes i get excited

Now on my mcpx's I had and my current nanos, I crash all the time since that is why i bought them Trying piro flips above my couch has been interesting lately

This is an example of how I fly the 130 when I have objects near and no grass below me. I had a loose batt that caused a little wag but it really didnt effect my flying. It was filmed a bit ago so I have gotten a little bit better at flying since.

130x tail loose battery (3 min 35 sec)
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
I have not crashed my 130's and have not had any rounded holes and I do check my gears often.
Never having crashed multiple 130Xs is also questionably impressive. My flying style could be described as much more aggressive so not crashing isn't really on my agenda. LOL
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Its really not too questionably impressive as you say at all, it is flying within my known capabilities

Believe me I will do the same with my Goblin that I am about to get

Ill save the crashing for my nano's and other durable micro cp's since I have no need to be cautious. Usually I crash them on average about 5 times a flight, even my brushless versions.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
+1. That is really impressive. I don't even have to crash to round out the gears - rounded out a D gear just from using a less than square tail spindle.

Given my countless flights on both my 130X, I have also rounded the "D" hole twice on my C gear, mid air. Both cases did not involved a prior crash. Fast forward flights and strong winds were the main cause, I think.
But again, that's after so many flights.
The first occasion, happened during inverted flights causing a crash & damages.
The second time, I was able to land it.

As mentioned earlier, there are "signs" getting the hole rounded, I was just stubborn, but learned my lesson.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Believe me I will do the same with my Goblin that I am about to get
LOL, will you still be using same user ID?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
DX6i
Thanks for the replys I thought I was just going crazy. Started wondering about other settings. Peace of mind is a good thing, thanks. Has anyone noticed vertical lines in the display if the voltage drops below 4.9v? When I see the lines I know its time to charge.
Mine goes to 4.1V before it starts to beep that the batteries are low. I believe that's the way the manual says it should work. No vertical lines ever noticed on my DX6i.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
"I'm hoping that the new tail-shaft & grips with angular contact bearings from Xtreme Production will be just what we're looking for. "

That lead me to believe you were talking about tail grips when asking about the angular bearings.

As for those bearings, I just really can't see that being all that much of an issue for these little helis. Both my Lynx and stock blade grips fly just fine with standard radial bearings.
The post I quoted was about the main grips, but my post was about the tail-shaft & grips. The benefits of angular contact bearings are very real. The factory tail grips have tons of slop. You may think they perform great when you have no other reference point, but slop-free grips will perform better. Just like how a car with a tight front-end will always handle better through the slalom than the same car with a loose front-end.

Anything that spins 20 grand all day should be slop & vibration-free. It is simply good engineering practice.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
934 Posts
Quote:
That sucks. Will the weighted grips fit the stock TS?

Somebody needs to come out with an honest-to-goodness hardened, precision TS for this bird. Hell - I'd even be happy with a precision TS that's as hard as the original. I love the 130X, but the seemingly haphazard assembly of the TS assembly can be a real pain in the butt. I've gone through 4-5 factory shafts just to fine one that's perpendicular to the eye, and I bet those weren't even close to being as true as they should be for something that spins @ 20,000 RPM.

Joel
This is where I saw you talking about weighted grips Joel. Thought you were using them.
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
The post I quoted was about the main grips, but my post was about the tail-shaft & grips. The benefits of angular contact bearings are very real. The factory tail grips have tons of slop. You may think they perform great when you have no other reference point, but slop-free grips will perform better. Just like how a car with a tight front-end will always handle better through the slalom than the same car with a loose front-end.

Anything that spins 20 grand all day should be slop & vibration-free. It is simply good engineering practice.

Joel
I think we're getting confused here. I was talking about main blade grips when I said my stock and Lynx ones were fine. The Lynx ones are indeed better. I run weighted Rakon grips on my tail.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:45 PM
REYNALDO
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Dec 2011
246 Posts
in my opinion it is better that extreme prod. provide us also a tail pitch slider that has an angular bearing, as am observing how it moves during flight and i think it can help also how the servo react in windy situation. nothing to hide for those all you metioned guys, the vibs are still there, what i did to my bird as i've seen from youtube i CA a solid cf to the tail pin as it is to be seen on the left side back and i conclude that my problem solved.
rynldgalano is offline Find More Posts by rynldgalano
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
After my tail bearings and tail servo got trashed from spool-up vib, I made sure that I will not fly both my 130's again unless I fix the issue.
I bought DS35 tail servos, stock tail bearings, & multiple stock tail shafts. They now both fly very nice with the DS35, and spools up really SMOOTH. Now, I know that my bearings will also last longer. With the DS35, the heli does not make any (servo) noise at all too, like the battery is not even plugged-in.
It sucks that I have to purchase multiple (stock) tail shafts though, to find which ones won't have any vib. But better than trashing some other parts, I guess.
I also used this on both:
- http://helidirect.com/microheli-doub...0x-p-27802.hdx
- http://helidirect.com/eflite-35-gram...vo-p-28172.hdx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
934 Posts
Lost my tail last night. I think it was one of the grips that failed and took out the slider, shaft and tail case. Time to order parts. I have a Boca kit that I have not installed; maybe I should have installed it. Going back with E-Flight shaft and tail case. Wanting a RKS tail slider but looking for recommendations on the blade grips. Any input would be helpful.
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Lost my tail last night. I think it was one of the grips that failed and took out the slider, shaft and tail case. Time to order parts. I have a Boca kit that I have not installed; maybe I should have installed it. Going back with E-Flight shaft and tail case. Wanting a RKS tail slider but looking for recommendations on the blade grips. Any input would be helpful.
I've tried 3 different sets of tail grips (MH unweighted, MH weighted, and Lynx weighted), and I really like the Lynx weighted ones.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277