SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
Inverted Airfield
Iowa
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
I also have a 300x, and it's fore-aft balance is spot on. I have not had to do any mods yet. Pirouettes are effortless. This heli is ahead of its time. As compared to the 130x, the 300x is more stable in all flight conditions, has less power, is fairly durable when mishaps occur, and the only drawback I have noticed is the mounting holes in the main shaft wear out rather rapidly. I'll give it a 9 out of 10 rating. The 130x gets at best, a 7 out of 10 rating.
HeliFax is offline Find More Posts by HeliFax
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFax View Post
I also have a 300x, and it's fore-aft balance is spot on. I have not had to do any mods yet. Pirouettes are effortless. This heli is ahead of its time. As compared to the 130x, the 300x is more stable in all flight conditions, has less power, is fairly durable when mishaps occur, and the only drawback I have noticed is the mounting holes in the main shaft wear out rather rapidly. I'll give it a 9 out of 10 rating. The 130x gets at best, a 7 out of 10 rating.
I've been considering a 300X. It actually has less power than a stock 130X? What do you mean by the main shaft mounting holes wearing out? Where the Jesus bolts go through for the head and main gear? Thanks.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
I too have been wondering about the 300X. However, if it's less power to weight ratio sucks, I don't want it.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I too have been wondering about the 300X. However, if it's less power to weight ratio sucks, I don't want it.
Garry K.
A stock 300X will out fly a stock 130X in every way and in my experience is more reliable.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Garry K.
A 300x does not have less power than a stock 130x...quite the opposite. It is also super stable and being belt tail you can take off from grass without worry

The only negative about the 300x is that on some the elevator servo link can rub the motor bell in certain maneuvers. If there was another frame for it I would buy another 300x right away as the 300 is my favorite size park heli

Here was mine after a few batteries through and starting to get used to flying it
Blade 300X (5 min 13 sec)

Link Rub
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:00 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
593 Posts
I'm a heli novice, but have both a 300x and have just acquired a 130x, if you want to fly indoors the 130x wins, but if you are flying outdoors the 300x wins hands down, it feels much more solid, locked in and smoother. I've toned the controls down from the recommended settings and I'm making good progress with it, I had a cheaper 400 heli before and the 300x is just so much better.
FrankS is online now Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
A stock 300X will out fly a stock 130X in every way and in my experience is more reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
A 300x does not have less power than a stock 130x...quite the opposite. It is also super stable and being belt tail you can take off from grass without worry.

The only negative about the 300x is that on some the elevator servo link can rub the motor bell in certain maneuvers. If there was another frame for it I would buy another 300x right away as the 300 is my favorite size park heli
+1!

The 300X is also a lot less fiddly than the 130X, and it is much easier to work on - especially for those of us with older eyeballs....

Regarding the elevator linkage - Dylan makes a brace kit that eliminates the frame-flex during during certain aggressive 3D maneuvers that causes the problem: http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...n-frame-braces

Regarding the mainshaft - the main gear & head-block mounting holes are simply too big in the first place. The main gear & head-block can rotate slightly on the mainshaft even when the mounting bolts are as tight as possible. Some people fill the holes with JB Weld & re-drill them. So far, I have not noticed any additional wear, but I've been thinking about filling the holes & re-drilling them anyway.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
I asked because HeliFax said it was less powerful than the 130X, which is already borderline in my opinion.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Regarding the mainshaft - the main gear & head-block mounting holes are simply too big in the first place. The main gear & head-block can rotate slightly on the mainshaft even when the mounting bolts are as tight as possible. Some people fill the holes with JB Weld & re-drill them. So far, I have not noticed any additional wear, but I've been thinking about filling the holes & re-drilling them anyway.

Joel
Maybe some appropriately sized brass tubing cut to length would work as a collar over the bolts?

What flight times are you guys getting and with what batteries?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Nice! Thanks for quick discussion on the 300x. Sounds like it could be something for me to keep my eye on. I'm definitely more of a fixed wing guy and I'll probably be happy with my 130x and my Nano for now but you never know... sometimes the mood just strikes and I end up with something else that I don't need!!

Anyway - I got my tail issues completely solved. This heli is flying as good (if not better) than it did out of the box on day one. I have zero vibes at all. I didn't even have to balance my tail blades.

I had three main issues that were causing vibes and massive TBO:
  1. Stripped tail gears (both of them). This was a big TBO contributor for sure.
  2. Tail servo pushed too far forward on the boom causing my tail blade pitch to be off. I'm guessing this was also contributing to my TBO because when I was flipping it was pushing my tail to one side at mid stick.
  3. Bent tail shaft. This was causing my vibrations for sure. I replaced the stock shaft with the Micro Heli tail shaft and weighted grips combo and so far so good. It seems smooth as butter.

I was really trying everything I could to make my tail blow out this morning and I couldn't do it. I was really abusing the collective on my flips - over exaggerrating the pitch when going inverted to try to make it bog or blow out. Nothing. It was awesome.

I also did a few full stick pitch pumps both upright and inverted and the tail was rock solid.

I'm very pleased. The funny thing is that I don't even care so much about flying this heli non-stop (again... I'm mainly a plane guy) but it was just bugging me knowing that it wasn't working properly. But I'm glad it's fixed now so I can go back to my 3-5 flights per week and slow heli learning progression.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Great video indoorheli. Very nice display of the capabilities of the 300x. It looks to fly much bigger than it really is while being perfect for parkflying and smaller venues, like the ball diamond you were flying on. I have at least a dozen flying sites within a few miles of my house and while I have been having a blast flying the 130x the 300x would be just as at home in those same spots.

You hit the nail on the head turboparker. The 130x has been very fiddlly and while mine is still completely stock my lhs owner is contimplating retirement with all the money I've spent on servos, gears, tailbooms, etc. Plus I had to go out and buy some +4 readers just so I could see things while I was doing repairs. No regrets buying the 130x though as it has taken me from barely being able to hover back and forth in the front yard to nose in hovering, inverted hovering and circuits, to mild 3d in 5 months.

I keep looking for more activity on the 300x thread but it seems to have gotten kind of quiet but the has been more conversation here on the 130x thread. That's cool by me as at least it's being discussed. I know there is a lot of activity over on helifreak but I mostly hang out here as I do a bunch of plank flying too.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
I know some will consider this a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it nonetheless.

I love flying my 130X, and I've taken my bigger FB helis (Trex 250 SE and 450 SE) out and they just seem so sloppy. It's too bad because they are beautiful machines. For others that have larger FBL birds as well as a 130X, is it worth doing conversions? Do they get that same combination of agility, stability, and precision?
You just need to get your FB helis working right. A Trex 450 SE can be stable, snappy, and precise, and it's a little easier to get those features from a FBL system, but it's possible with the flybar too. Have you had Nate or Josh give it a look? I can help too, but those two guys are the local pros - they will probably tell you to go flybarless, but if you push them, they know how to wrangle a lot of performance from normal systems - I do too a little bit, I just can't fly it as hard as they would to test.

Point being, both systems can give you good performance, but getting it from the normal system is harder - the top limit of performance for FBL is higher than the top limit for normal, but good performance is possible from it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
90 Posts
Blade 130x....Stokc 3D,,Flying Hard...+ Crash (3 min 26 sec)

imagine 50 is offline Find More Posts by imagine 50
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine 50 View Post
DOH!! Nice flying before the crash!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
A 300x does not have less power than a stock 130x...quite the opposite. It is also super stable and being belt tail you can take off from grass without worry

Here was mine after a few batteries through and starting to get used to flying it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZCx-tmBMtM
Link Rub
Very nice flying! I like your style. Very smooth. That's the way I aspire to fly. But it's still a work in progress. That was a very good demonstration of the 300x. It looked super stable and very locked in!