SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
My 3S 130X needs metal C&D gears ... but I'm going to wait until Lynx coming out with these gears. I'm happy flying the 2s 130X on gov. mode.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
Flying time

Well another lovely day to fly...
carlostomasso is offline Find More Posts by carlostomasso
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Well another lovely day to fly...
Don't complain, that is still above freezing! Pretty darn nice actually

We got snow last night, but it's not enough.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
One happy pilot

Not complaining, very happy Jasmine
carlostomasso is offline Find More Posts by carlostomasso
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Not complaining, very happy Jasmine
I'm complaining

I am instantly tired of the snow, and we don't even get it very much any more.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Yeah, it's tough here in Hawaii with all the hail, sleet, snow, ice… Haha
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Yeah, it's tough here in Hawaii with all the hail, sleet, snow, ice… Haha
You need rocket programmers, right? I occasionally see some job openings out there, and I always apply for them
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
I finally had a serious problem with my 130X.

After the 1.5 feet of snow we got on Sunday, I decided to take the 130X up for backyard flight from the deck. The liftoff was uneventful, but the tail started to act up before I even switched to IU. I landed & checked things out, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I spooled her up again & took off. The tail seemed to behave this time around, so I switched to IU & flew a couple circuits around the yard. I brought her in a bit closer for some nose-in hovering. Suddenly, the tail blew out & then immediately recovered. I tried to make it back to the deck, but I lost the tail completely before I got there. She spun-in before I could hit TH & buried herself about a foot deep in the snow - which was probably a good thing. That wouldn't have been pretty if it had happened up on the deck. Glad I saw exactly where she went in. Otherwise, it would have been pretty tough to find her in all of that fluff.

Given the reports of tail-servo failure & given the number of hours on the bird, I figured that it was probably the tail servo. However, a bit of troubleshooting points to the 3-in-1:

1) The tail stops responding to pilot input and external rotation force shortly after spool-up.

2) The tail starts responding to pilot input again at the moment when AS3X disengages after the throttle is closed.

3) Spool-up again, and the tail stops responding to pilot input and external forces shortly after AS3X engages.

4) The tail servo works normally before spool-up. I can cycle it over & over again with not even so much as a hiccup - until AS3X engages.

5) The above pattern repeats each time the throttle is cycled.

Looks like I have a bad 3-in-1. Good thing I have a spare.

Anybody heard of this particular failure mode?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I finally had a serious problem with my 130X.

After the 1.5 feet of snow we got on Sunday, I decided to take the 130X up for backyard flight from the deck. The liftoff was uneventful, but the tail started to act up before I even switched to IU. I landed & checked things out, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I spooled her up again & took off. The tail seemed to behave this time around, so I switched to IU & flew a couple circuits around the yard. I brought her in a bit closer for some nose-in hovering. Suddenly, the tail blew out & then immediately recovered. I tried to make it back to the deck, but I lost the tail completely before I got there. She spun-in before I could hit TH & buried herself about a foot deep in the snow - which was probably a good thing. That wouldn't have been pretty if it had happened up on the deck. Glad I saw exactly where she went in. Otherwise, it would have been pretty tough to find her in all of that fluff.

Given the reports of tail-servo failure & given the number of hours on the bird, I figured that it was probably the tail servo. However, a bit of troubleshooting points to the 3-in-1:

1) The tail stops responding to pilot input and external rotation force shortly after spool-up.

2) The tail starts responding to pilot input again at the moment when AS3X disengages after the throttle is closed.

3) Spool-up again, and the tail stops responding to pilot input and external forces shortly after AS3X engages.

4) The tail servo works normally before spool-up. I can cycle it over & over again with not even so much as a hiccup - until AS3X engages.

5) The above pattern repeats each time the throttle is cycled.

Looks like I have a bad 3-in-1. Good thing I have a spare.

Anybody heard of this particular failure mode?

Joel
Joel - I'm in the middle of trouble shooting a tail blowout issue as well and I think i've finally figured it out but i'm waiting on some replacement parts to know for sure.

Check the pitch on your tail blades at neutral stick. I found that mine were severely off. This won't be readily apparent until you try to make certain movements with your tail. I could fly mine just fine for basic circuits but as soon as I tried anything aggressive my tail would blow out.

The issue? I believe my tail servo slid on the boom towards the front of the heli thus pulling the blades with them. I'm going to recalibrate this tomorrow night when I get my new parts and see how it behaves.

I'm sure you've also already checked your tail gears right? If they are stripped then you'll have tail blowouts - and I don't necessarily mean just the teeth, but the hole that slides over the shafts... if those are rounded out then it will cause big and inconsistent tail blowouts.

It COULD be a bad 3-1 board but it doesn't seem likely to me.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Joel - Also be sure to check out this thread on Helifreak regarding tail issues. It seems to be very comprehensive and hopefully it will help you track down your issue(s).

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....41#post4478941
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
Big Plus One on checking gears for rounding. Has been my main cause of TBO on my 130x. Sometimes it creeps up on you and other times it just flat happens all at once.
stablehover is offline Find More Posts by stablehover
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

I rechecked everything, and found nothing visibly wrong mechanically. I kept on spooling the bird up in my hand sans main blades & just playing around with it, when the tail's audio pitch suddenly dropped. The tail servo went to the rail & quit responding to input. I checked the C-gear play again, and it felt fine. I spun the entire drivline by rotating the tail rotor & there was no appreciable play. I spooled it up again & the same thing happened. I scratched my head for a minute or two & then reefed on the C-gear a bit harder. Sure enough - it spun on the TT! Evidently, the tail evidently requires a lot more torque than I thought! I replaced the C & D gears, went for a few flights, and everything's fine now.

So, the slipping C-gear caused AS3X to slam the tail servo hard-over & hold it there until the system was reset by cutting the throttle. That explains why the behavior of the servo changed in unison with the AS3X state. Cool. I learned something new today!

One of the things I love the most about this hobby is that one can learn something new pretty much every day!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
I bought one of the first 130X my LHS received and naturally it had the tail vib at spool up. I'm curious to know if those of you who purchased a 130X recently are experiencing tail vibs. My LHS owner says the 130X's he has received recently spool up smoother free.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
REYNALDO
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Dec 2011
246 Posts
this is the reason why i ordered the vebel metal gear, hope that i will be alrigtht then as soon as the spindle and the tail pitch lever arrive probably next week. imagine that even a small play will be the caused of spool up.
rynldgalano is offline Find More Posts by rynldgalano