SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
It's probably worth pointing out that I always fly with my finger resting on the TH switch and 99% of the time TH is engaged by the time it hits anything.
+1000! Absolutely required for damage-free crashing! My buddies can't believe how quick I am on that switch.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Picked up a 130x to-day

Checked for "vibration(s)...had the infamous "resonance" at lower throttle, but very smooth above that point, so I guess I have a square tail rotor shaft.
I will be dynamically balancing the tail rotor though.

The clearance between the torque tube gear and FET was tight enough to have a piece of printer paper indexed through when turning the main gear, so I sanded down the gear and appears to be enough clearance now.

Bought a TEAM GREAT HOBBIES 360 MA battery to try, weights 2 grams LESS than the stock battery.

Have a question, I keep hearing about using "throttle hold" to protect parts when going to crash, how does this differ from just dropping the throttle stick to zero?

The manual says the select "inhibit" for the gyro for a DX6i, but I don't see that on my DX6i ?

My previous choppers have been a PICO Z and a 120sr, so I will probably be bugging everybody here for suggestions.

Thanks, RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
On a CP heli you usually fly in "idle up" so pulling the stick back goes to full negative pitch and full power. Not a good way to crash.
Even if you are not flying in idle up for some reason it is still good to learn to pull throttle hold instead of pulling the stick back. One less thing to unlearn later.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,489 Posts
When in idle up stunt mode there is NO stick positipn at which tje motor is off.

Stupid phone keyboard...
Last edited by erkq; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

Have a question, I keep hearing about using "throttle hold" to protect parts when going to crash, how does this differ from just dropping the throttle stick to zero?

The manual says the select "inhibit" for the gyro for a DX6i, but I don't see that on my DX6i ?

Thanks, RUD
Whether you are flying normal or stunt mode, it's still a good habbit that you hit TH before the crash.
If you have a small degree of negative pitch on your normal flight mode below mid-stick, If you pull the throttle stick down before the crash, the heli will gain downward momentum (unless it's inverted) towards the ground.

You could practice TH flying very low altitude over a thick grass, imagine that crash is about to happen.

Gyro is actually inhibitted, & you don't have to do anyting.
You have to go to HH website, follow the procedure to adjust gyro gain (if you are having issues with it). Supposedly, it's pre-adjusted @ the factory.
Most CP helis (larger), gyro gain setting is adjusted using the Tx (& seen on the screen).
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:08 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Deleted due to erroneous multiple post.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Last edited by KevinBuckley70; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:13 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

Throttle Hold simply cuts the power to the motor without changing any of the control surfaces. So it stops putting more energy into the the system and stops the gears getting stripped when it hits. If you fly with your finger resting on that switch, I think it's quicker than pulling the throttle/pitch lever down anyway. And as others have mentioned, when you start to fly in one of the 'idle-up' modes, pulling the pitch lever down won't stop the motor - it will just accelerate the heli. in whatever direction 'down' happens to be.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Last edited by KevinBuckley70; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Just saw over on HF that the 130 X is now out for the Phoenix sim.
sgoodmeyer is offline Find More Posts by sgoodmeyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Just had my first two flights on new 130x, stock - no mods. Only sanded the A gear lightly. I did not notice any unwanted behaviors, smooth upright flying in normal mode only. Next flight try switching into idle up. I'm happy so far, though that gear is pretty close to the elev servo, stupid IMO.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Thanks

Many thanks to EVERBODY who responded to my post.

As I mentioned, I will be asking for more help,..be patient

After doing some research, I think that learning to fly this thing should be in STUNT MODE right off the bat, with throttle at %80, instead of %100 per the manual ??

Question, not that I will flying upside down anytime soon but, in trying to understand what's going on here, I don't see any neg, pitch in the manuals DX6i pitch curve settings ?

ALL opinions welcomed !!

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Quote:
I don't see any neg, pitch in the manuals DX6i pitch curve settings ?
0 is most negative, 50 is centered and 100 is most positive pitch.

Evidenced by powering up, switch on throttle hold and put the heli in idle up (stunt mode). You will see the blades' pitch change from 0 to 100 as you move the throttle up. Center the stick, you are right around 50. Negative pitch is not necessarily a negative number in the radio.

Wow. Did some more flights and this time noticed the awful resonance on the tail at lower throttle. Best to power up quick to center stick and avoid that mess. Is this an issue people are worried about solving or just ignore and move stick up fast to avoid?

e
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Is this an issue people are worried about solving or just ignore and move stick up fast to avoid?

e
You haven't been around long, have you? Much discussion about this with all sorts of fixes, including upgraded bearings, sliders, tail boxes, balancing, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
If it just has tail fin vibration at low throttle and not any other time I think there is no need to do anything and just throttle past it.

If it has vibration during flight then you might want to think about balancing the blades, looking over the torque tube, gears, tail box or bearings.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I just got my 130x the other day, been doing some reading, not sure if people were trying to fix that specific problem as it really isn't a problem since I won't be flying the heli at low throttle. Kinda dumb for HH to let that issue go to production. Their fix is in the manual I guess, quickly move throttle to 50%.

e
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudderless View Post

many thanks to everbody who responded to my post.

As i mentioned, i will be asking for more help,..be patient

after doing some research, i think that learning to fly this thing should be in stunt mode right off the bat, with throttle at %80, instead of %100 per the manual ??
NO. If you have never flown CP before, just fly it at normal mode on you first few flights, it's just like flying FP. When you feel that you have good control, click that switch to stunt mode for few seconds, and decide if you feel comfortable with it.
This heli will fly even on normal mode. You might cause some damage/injury if your thumb is not quick enough (TH) if you jump to stunt mode immediately.

question, not that i will flying upside down anytime soon but, in trying to understand what's going on here, i don't see any neg, pitch in the manuals dx6i pitch curve settings ?
if you follow the manual & setting for the dx6i, you should be ok, and could do more adjustments to your liking later on. The provided setting should be good as a starting point. Both normal & stunt flight mode settings. So you shouldn't worry about the "negative pitch". May not be a perfect world but it should be close enough.

all opinions welcomed !!

Rud
- spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:06 PM.