SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Kevin my problem was the tail blade hitting the grass and stripping the C gear.
If your tail blades is hitting the grass, you really shouldn't do it on the grass. Use a helipad like recommended, otherwise there is a great risk stripping gears.
Compared to other micros I have, this one actually has got the most tail blade ground clearance. Big styro insulation foam from homedepot will cost you $2 than taking chances.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
If your tail blades is hitting the grass, you really shouldn't do it on the grass. Use a helipad like recommended, otherwise there is a great risk stripping gears.
Compared to other micros I have, this one actually has got the most tail blade ground clearance. Big styro insulation foam from homedepot will cost you $2 than taking chances.
Not sure about that foam, but you do have to be sure that whatever you use is not so light that it will blow away and/or up into the rotors (i.e. carpet).
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
What about a Blade 300 X?
I have the 450x and 300X. I like the 300X better. It just feels more precise and quicker responding to me and it is only slightly smaller than a 450X. I also have the 130X and like it as much as the 300X. The 450X is my least favorite of the three and sits on the shelf most of the time. Had the 300X come out before the 450X, I would not have bought the 450X.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I have the 450x and 300X. I like the 300X better. It just feels more precise and quicker responding to me and it is only slightly smaller than a 450X. I also have the 130X and like it as much as the 300X. The 450X is my least favorite of the three and sits on the shelf most of the time. Had the 300X come out before the 450X, I would not have bought the 450X.
I have a 450 3D (flybar) and 130X. The 450 3D sits most of the time because I can't fly it at my house. I love the 130X, but I want something a bit bigger because I love how the 450 3D flies, but want FBL. I'm looking hard at the 300X, but there seems to be problems with frame flexing, mainshaft breaking from basic non-3D type flying.

How hard do you fly your 300X? How are your flight times on the 300X as compared to your 450X?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
Quote:
I have a 450 3D (flybar) and 130X. The 450 3D sits most of the time because I can't fly it at my house. I love the 130X, but I want something a bit bigger because I love how the 450 3D flies, but want FBL. I'm looking hard at the 300X, but there seems to be problems with frame flexing, mainshaft breaking from basic no?
How about the 450 3D for parts cost and repair. I also am tkinking somthing bigger. I have a lot of room to fly so that is not a problem.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
How about the 450 3D for parts cost and repair. I also am tkinking somthing bigger. I have a lot of room to fly so that is not a problem.
I'd get the 450X, if I were you. Lower parts count and easier to repair. It's also FBL, if that's your thing. I didn't think I would like it, but I'm all about the FBL now.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
I'd get the 450X, if I were you. Lower parts count and easier to repair. It's also FBL, if that's your thing. I didn't think I would like it, but I'm all about the FBL now.
FWIW, my experience of bumping the 450x into things is that it will:
  • Bend the feathering spindle (which is different to the 450 3d one)
  • Strip the main gear
  • Strip the plastic gears in the cyclic servos (so get some metal geared equivalents)

There is a thread dedicated to the 450 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...525691&page=26
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
FWIW, my experience of bumping the 450x into things is that it will:
  • Bend the feathering spindle (which is different to the 450 3d one)
  • Strip the main gear
  • Strip the plastic gears in the cyclic servos (so get some metal geared equivalents)

There is a thread dedicated to the 450 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...525691&page=26
To this list you can add rotor blades $40 and main shaft.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
That's why I said to consider MONEY in the decision.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
I have a 450 3D (flybar) and 130X. The 450 3D sits most of the time because I can't fly it at my house. I love the 130X, but I want something a bit bigger because I love how the 450 3D flies, but want FBL. I'm looking hard at the 300X, but there seems to be problems with frame flexing, mainshaft breaking from basic non-3D type flying.

How hard do you fly your 300X? How are your flight times on the 300X as compared to your 450X?
I'm into FFF and sport flying. No 3D. I am nearing 75 flights on it without incident. The main shaft has been upgraded. They changed the bolt and drilled the hole in the shaft more precise. My LHS pointed that out to me so I bought one and installed it on mine. I safely get about four minutes flight time on both with my style of flying.. I haven't tried to exceed that.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
Opened the 130X box last night and flew. After the Nano this thing is great! I’ll sell the 130X after they pry my cold dead thumbs off the transmitter. However, I should have broke it down and balanced the tail. The gear mesh looked OK but it had some loud vibes from the tail and took out the “c” gear after only one battery. I’m not complaining though that all can be worked out.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
I'm into FFF and sport flying. No 3D. I am nearing 75 flights on it without incident. The main shaft has been upgraded. They changed the bolt and drilled the hole in the shaft more precise. My LHS pointed that out to me so I bought one and installed it on mine. I safely get about four minutes flight time on both with my style of flying.. I haven't tried to exceed that.
Cool. If one were to order a 300 X right now, how would they know if the main shaft has been "upgraded"? Anything specific to look for?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Cool. If one were to order a 300 X right now, how would they know if the main shaft has been "upgraded"? Anything specific to look for?
Remove the lower bolt from the main shaft. If it is threaded all the way, it is the the first version. The new version is only threaded on the end.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Remove the lower bolt from the main shaft. If it is threaded all the way, it is the the first version. The new version is only threaded on the end.
So, a shouldered bolt is the "upgrade"? They should have had that all along. But, it was the mainshafts that were breaking. What's the visual difference (if any) between the original and "upgraded" shaft?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
So, a shouldered bolt is the "upgrade"? They should have had that all along. But, it was the mainshafts that were breaking. What's the visual difference (if any) between the original and "upgraded" shaft?
I was told the hole was more precisely drilled and the bolt is a little tighter fitting. My LHS owner told me that HH informed him. Actually, if he hadn't told me, I would never have changed the shaft. Even though I knew of the main shaft problem I wasn't't worried about it.