HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Colorful bird.

Your extended tail boom; after inspecting mine, it looks like CF rod glued to the links. Did you just get some CF rod and extended it? What size CF rod did it require?

What is your additional guide from?
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
I'm not sure if I used the 2mm or 1.8mm CF rod.
Yes, the links are glued with the rods. I had to drill them out with care.
Honestly, the tail is strong enough as it is. But i'm trying to learn 3D and I still crash a lot.
I am new with helis. I can fly inverted in circuits. Sometimes gets a bit aggressive & crash 'em. I think you could use the microheli links and replace the CF rod (longer) support.
If I break the main blade grips, I will replace it with metal. That should make it so crash resistant, specially flying on grass field. Oh, the plastic umbrella gear will also wear out over time.
Just keep using it and just replace it once it's not good anymore.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
I only started to invert a heli about a week and a half ago, and that's been the nano, and it's been in the grass a lot. They should have just made the blades grass stain color. LOL
Actually I'm getting good at flipping it and holding it in an inverted hover, flipping back over, and repeating. Making it all the way through the 3 minutes without crashing it. It will be some time before I try circuits.
Almost tried inverting the mCPx the other day I flew it, but decided against it. Good thing as my rates would have been to low to flip it since I have it toned down. Turned them up to the 100%. Maybe next time I'm out flying in the yard.
The 130x is a long way from me thinking about inverting it....
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Don't know about the Nano, but I've found my 130 X much easier to invert, keep it there and fly it around than my mCP X, both before and after I converted it to brushless. Talking outdoors, of course.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
I agree. The 130X is much easier to fly inverted. Plus, a lot easier to see flying around inverted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jul 2009
620 Posts
I need some help/advice with an issue w/ my 130x. I had to remove the tail assembly & when I put everything back now my 130x starts spinning after a few seconds of high throttle input. I noticed that if I hold the tail blades & spin the main blades there was some tension but the rear gears would turn so I thought the gear that attaches to the torque tube maybe was not installed correctly so took it back off & on again making sure it lined up correctly. Spooled up again & same thing happend (spinning shortly after takeoff) and I also noticed that the torque tube "slid" forward & was not lined up in the same spot on that same rear gear as when I spooled up.. Sort of like the spinning/vibrating moved the torque tube forward.

So what's going on here? Could that small white gear that attaches to the torque tube have gotten warped or something & now it's not holding on to the torque tube? Just needing some ideas as to what to try next. Thanks!
netsurfr is offline Find More Posts by netsurfr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
I need some help/advice with an issue w/ my 130x. I had to remove the tail assembly & when I put everything back now my 130x starts spinning after a few seconds of high throttle input. I noticed that if I hold the tail blades & spin the main blades there was some tension but the rear gears would turn so I thought the gear that attaches to the torque tube maybe was not installed correctly so took it back off & on again making sure it lined up correctly. Spooled up again & same thing happend (spinning shortly after takeoff) and I also noticed that the torque tube "slid" forward & was not lined up in the same spot on that same rear gear as when I spooled up.. Sort of like the spinning/vibrating moved the torque tube forward.

So what's going on here? Could that small white gear that attaches to the torque tube have gotten warped or something & now it's not holding on to the torque tube? Just needing some ideas as to what to try next. Thanks!
Your C gear is stripped, the D slot shape is not holding well enough.
During tail collective it's slipping... very common.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
620 Posts
Thanks. Good to know it's a common/easy fix. I had read about stripped c gear but I thought it meant the "teeth" on the gear itself broke/stripped not the attaching point to the tube. I'll replace it w/ a new one.

Any better options than the stock plastic ones?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Your C gear is stripped, the D slot shape is not holding well enough.
During tail collective it's slipping... very common.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Make sure your tail is pushed all the way into the body frame. Mine did the same thing and stopped when I seated the tail all the way in.
When the tail was out a little I noticed the TT did not go through the c gear very far at all.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,427 Posts
Make sure the torque tube is inserted correctly, there is a long and short flat.
The long flat goes to the B gear the short flat to the C gear. The TT should just be flush with inside cup of the C gear when it's all assembled correctly.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jul 2009
620 Posts
I'll check that the tail is all the way in although I think it is & the torque tube is facing the right way so that part is ok. Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
I just can't get enough of this heli.:)

Some piroflips at 2:00.
MAH00425 converted (3 min 37 sec)

MAH00431 converted (3 min 50 sec)

Hand catch at the end.
MAH00427 converted (3 min 46 sec)
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Last edited by jhroof; Oct 29, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Very Nice Flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
This thing is unbelievably durable! I'm finally getting into flips. My first forward flip was a complete success. My first aileron flip was also. Then it got too far away and I was having so much fun with flips I didn't notice until too late. Well, it went down from probably at least 50 feet in an uncontrolled tumble... no orientation at all. I hit the TH in time.

Damage? The plastic housing of the tail servo popped off it's circuit board. The screws had stripped out so I glued it back in place. I put the pitch follower pin back in the follower slot and reattached the tail control rod that had popped off the control arm. And you know what? It flew! I'm completely amazed. Why do I even bother with my 300X?? This thing is easier to fly and indestructible. I'm going to look back and find out what that upgrade motor is people are putting in. SC08 or something? Well worth it. It could use some more power.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Erkq,

Congrats on your first aerobatic flight! Sorry to hear about your crash, though. She surely is tough! I could hardly believe how little damage mine suffered after I augered her in at top speed at my friend's flying field. I doubt that my mSR would have fared any better.

The beauty of 130X is that one can try new things without worrying about expensive repairs, yet it flies just like the big birds. I had tried to get flips & rolls down with my mCP X, but was unable to get comfortable doing aerobatics with it. I ended up spending more time learning how to compensate for the heli's idiosyncrasies than learning the maneuvers! The 130X flies so well that I can concentrate on the maneuvers, rather than the heli.

I wouldn't want to give up my 300X, though. It's even more stable than the 130X in stronger winds, and it's much easier to see! It's also a lot less fiddly to get flying smoothly, and I can actually work on it without needing a magnifier lamp! Plus - it can easily carry a videocam with decent glass.

BTW - RCBabbel says that my lightweight Hyp 400 35c pack should be here soon. Looking forward to testing it in the 130X. It's less than a gram heavier than his TP 325 packs, so it should have minimal effect on the CG.

It's supposed to be in the high 40s & sunny today, with a 5-10 MPH breeze. Doesn't get much better than that around here this time of year. Packs are charged. I think I'm going to hang my #16 cam under the 130X & shoot some on-board footage just for grins. Haven't seen much of that with the 130X. Guess I'll be finding out just how smooth mine really is. I'll post a clip if it's not full of jello-effects.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member