SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Another question;
On spool up the heli has that nasty vibration I've read about.
I want to check to see if my tail rotor shaft is square, but not sure how to pop off the tail blade grips. Took the screws out, but they still seem very firm in place. I'm afraid I might break the grips trying to remove them...
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Well, now that you have flyable parts replaced on your dime, call HH anyway and request replacement parts for the original bad ones. The wait isn't an issue now, so make them make it right. That's what I always do.
Yes, I sure did.
I called them regarding (a) hub, (b) pitch servo (worm gear) that broke-off mid flight.
They shipped the wrong part on the first, while the servo is back-ordered.
Otherwise, very happy with the heli, & service is next to none on ALL my purchases/products that had issues.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
Another question;
On spool up the heli has that nasty vibration I've read about.
I want to check to see if my tail rotor shaft is square, but not sure how to pop off the tail blade grips. Took the screws out, but they still seem very firm in place. I'm afraid I might break the grips trying to remove them...
Just replace the hubs if it bothers you > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microheli-Bl...61111395823%26 Stock hubs is hit or miss.
Yes, the grips are sometimes tight. I really doubt you could break it. Just make sure you pull it out straight and not angled even a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Finally getting around to rebuilding mine after augering it in at top speed during a full-collective, high-banked, FFF circuit while I was up north a few weeks back. I had mentioned that I'd try to shoot some video up there, but that was not to be, as I augered it in on the first evening!

A bunch of us were hanging out at my friend's new RC field. It was a bit late in the evening & the light wasn't the best - but I decided to fly anyway. I did some basic aerobatics & flew a few FFF circuits - each one faster than the last. The light was fading fast. But of course, I had to get in just one more flight - even though I had already lost the bird in the shadows a few times when flying below the treeline.

Famous last words: "Hey guys - watch this!"

I took her up for a balls-to-the-wall FFF circuit - despite the rapidly waning light. Everything was going just fine until I flew below the treeline again at the far end of my circuit. I lost the bird completely in the shadows while flying a full-bore circle at a 60-70 degree bank-angle. I quickly realized that the old tried & true fixed-wing method of following the ship through until it becomes visible again wasn't going to work on a heli during an aggressive, steeply-banked FFF turn. So I hit TH & bailed. The bird went in at high speed with a loud thunk!

The damage is surprisingly light, given the high speed & angle of arrival. Broke the ball on one tail grip & the driveline feels a bit gritty in spots when rotating it with the motor disengaged. The gears look fine, however. Might be a bent TT and/or tailshaft. Also broke the tail fin. Other than that, the bird seems to be fine. Didn't even bend the FS. Must have been doing somewhere between 30-40 MPH when it hit. Tough bird!

Time to break out the magnifier light & tear this puppy down!

Joel
Update:

Just finished the repair & shakedown flight. The gritty feeling was caused by the TT being bent right where the B-gear attaches, which caused the A & B gears to bind a bit. Replaced the TT, tail grip, and tail fin & she's as good as new again. No vibes from zero to 100% HS.

30-40 MPH into rolled sod nearly tail-first, and all it needed was a TT, fin, and one tail grip. This is one tough bird! The more I fly it, the more I love it!!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK now... do you mean it won't bind or it won't re-link? I have never had problems binding these helicopters with my DX7 or JR9503, but I have had some issues with a few of them (130, mQX, Nano) not wanting to link when I start up the normal way (radio on first). I also have not done the DSMX upgrade, but I woke up to a pretty good snow, so maybe it's time to send it in and be without it for a bit.
I had problems with both rebinding and relinking. If I held the antenna touching the receiver, I bound and linked properly every time. But even 8 inches away I wouldn't bind or link. Funny part was I had no problem at all binding or linking to my MCPX with the same radio from 10 feet away.

I have two 130X's and had the problem with both of them. I went to my LHS to see if their resident expert could figure anything out and he was stumped too. I'm in a pretty crowded 2.4ghz space. I can see 10 different wifi access points from my standard flying spot, so the DSMX upgrade seemed like a good idea in general.

After the DMSX upgrade, I link and bind 100% of the time from 2' to 10' away.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:54 AM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Just replace the hubs if it bothers you > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microheli-Bl...61111395823%26 Stock hubs is hit or miss.
Yes, the grips are sometimes tight. I really doubt you could break it. Just make sure you pull it out straight and not angled even a bit.
I thought what I was reading was people saying that the vibration can cause other issues and some people chucking blades in such. So yeah the vibration has me a little concerned and wanting to correct it.
Finally got the blade grips off. Man they were tight. Was not able to pull them off. Had to pry them off. Took some time to locate the one that shot across the room. LOL
Just what I expected, the tail rotor shaft is not square. I'm going to call and see if I can get a replacement, hopefully it will be square if they send me one.
If not I'll may try the MH Tail Blade Grip combo. I thought I read about some issues with them like not a direct drop in. I see the MH states Ver.2, so is that corrected and it was the Ver.1 that did not fit properly?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Get the lynx tail set and if wanted tail shaft. Lots of people like them so far and they are high quality metal parts and finish
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperb View Post
I had problems with both rebinding and relinking. If I held the antenna touching the receiver, I bound and linked properly every time. But even 8 inches away I wouldn't bind or link. Funny part was I had no problem at all binding or linking to my MCPX with the same radio from 10 feet away.

I have two 130X's and had the problem with both of them. I went to my LHS to see if their resident expert could figure anything out and he was stumped too. I'm in a pretty crowded 2.4ghz space. I can see 10 different wifi access points from my standard flying spot, so the DSMX upgrade seemed like a good idea in general.

After the DMSX upgrade, I link and bind 100% of the time from 2' to 10' away.
Yeah I'm sure that's why I seem to have the problem here more often than out at the field. It is annoying, but it's not a serious malfunction.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Get the lynx tail set and if wanted tail shaft. Lots of people like them so far and they are high quality metal parts and finish
Blade is sending me out another tail shaft. I'm hoping it will be square.
I'll have to decide if I want to try the Lynx or MH if the replacement is not square.
May try to fix the one I have currently...., ok I'll give it to the supervisor of the metal shop at work and let him try to repair it. LOL
Last edited by elgecko; Oct 27, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: additional
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
I'll have to decide if I want to try the Lynx or MH if the replacement is not square.
If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the aftermarket part (if you really want it) or find stock shafts/hubs you can visually inspect at your LHS, if applicable, before purchase. Then call Horizon and request they make it right with the bad stock part(s). That way you can be flying and not be on their time schedule since waiting on them won't be an issue.

Don't let them get away with bad factory parts...ever... I truly believe if most everyone did this, they'd eventually learn to make a better effort up front with new releases, even if they ended up costing a few bucks more which would be worth it to avoid potential aggravation/wasted time.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,154 Posts
Quote:
May try to fix the one I have currently...., ok I'll give it to the supervisor of the metal shop at work and let him try to repair it. LOL
Just in case you get the new shaft, you might also want to check this out (an OLD post here):

E-flight Blade 130X tail resonance fix (2 min 3 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Just rolled over to 25 hours on the bird, so I guess that would be somewhere around 300 flights. I'm primarily flying with the excellent TP 325 65c packs & the new Hyp 500 35c 'UMX' packs. The only upgrades I've done so far are the metal A-gear, Boca tail-case bearings, and the MH dual-bearing pitch-slider. Of course, I dynamically balanced the tail.

I'm still loving mine! It has paid for itself many times over already. I have progressed further in 25 hours with the 130X than I did in a year of chasing the mushy, sloppy BSR around the parking lot & an additional 1 1/2 years of flying the mCP X.

BTW - the Hyp 500s are excellent for general flying & basic aerobatics. The form-factor is similar to the TP 325, so they fit well. Due to their shorter length, they don't shift the CG forward as much as, say, my Hyp 450 25c packs. Lots of power, excellent punch, and of course, long flight-times. Plus, they're plug & play.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

BTW - the Hyp 500s are excellent for general flying & basic aerobatics. The form-factor is similar to the TP 325, so they fit well Due to their shorter length, they don't shift the CG forward as much as, say, my Hyp 450 25c packs. Lots of power, excellent punch, and of course, long flight-times. Plus, they're plug & play.

Joel
Glad to hear that about the 500 packs. I have three coming this week from Roger and I have six of the TP 325s and love them to death.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the aftermarket part (if you really want it) or find stock shafts/hubs you can visually inspect at your LHS, if applicable, before purchase. Then call Horizon and request they make it right with the bad stock part(s). That way you can be flying and not be on their time schedule since waiting on them won't be an issue.

Don't let them get away with bad factory parts...ever... I truly believe if most everyone did this, they'd eventually learn to make a better effort up front with new releases, even if they ended up costing a few bucks more which would be worth it to avoid potential aggravation/wasted time.
I can't do much flying anyway with this bird yet. I only have the 1 battery...
Need to do a search and see what most people here are using and liking the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Just in case you get the new shaft, you might also want to check this out (an OLD post here):
Saw that video. Amazing difference.
Is your tail shaft square?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,154 Posts
Quote:
I can't do much flying anyway with this bird yet. I only have the 1 battery...
Need to do a search and see what most people here are using and liking the best.
Is your tail shaft square?
I have 2 of them.
One is not bad at all (very minimal vib on spool up) out of the box. It's got over 100 flights now. I will probably replace it's tail shaft soon as well.
The other was square, but I was nice to give the tail shaft to my friend to get him flying than waiting.. He now has zero vib.
I just ordered the http://www.ebay.com/itm/261111395823...84.m1439.l2649 for my second one, so I could fly it again soon.

I also extended my boom to make the tail stronger on crashes. Then added one more pushrod support for better rudder response or prevent the rod from flexing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:12 PM.