HeliStyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliStyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
I hope people can following me....

Can someone tell me how far the shaft drive sticks through their b & c gears.
The shaft was only about half way through the c gear and slipping.
I loosened up some screws and tried pushing the tail boom back into the frame. I did get it to move some, but the c gear still has about another 1/16" that the shaft could stick through to be flush. (No longer slips now)
I pushed the shaft from the b gear, which now is recessed a little more then a 1/16" to make the c gear almost flush.
Shouldn't the shaft be flush on both ends of the gears.
I was pushing really hard on the tail boom to get it to move and afraid I might break something. I did see a screw that I did not loosen since it would require removing a servo to access, but may have to do that if everyone's shaft is flush to the ends of the gears.
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
In the beginning, we just replaced them with another stock part since there were no aftermarket parts out yet. The tail shaft/hub material was perfectly fine, but it was the assembly that was lacking. The hub was very often pressed on to the shaft at something other than 90 degrees. I just kept asking Horizon to replace them until I got ones that were perfectly square and bought the best ones at my LHS. Now, we have some other options with aftermarket tail shafts/hubs from companies like Microheli, Rakon, Lynx, etc. Personally, I've only used the stock part because when it's square, it runs perfectly fine and it works with the Rakon tail grips.
Any shaft link?
I have 2 of these helis. One has BAD shaft out of the box. I swapped them so I know so. HH has been very nice to me. I don't want to ask or keep asking 'till I get a "squared" shaft. I don't mind spending a little extra and get a good one, which cuts the waiting from trial & error.
Thanks,
Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:06 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
I hope people can following me....

I loosened up some screws and tried pushing the tail boom back into the frame. I did get it to move some, but the c gear still has about another 1/16" that the shaft could stick through to be flush. (No longer slips now)
I pushed the shaft from the b gear, which now is recessed a little more then a 1/16" to make the c gear almost flush.
Shouldn't the shaft be flush on both ends of the gears.
I was pushing really hard on the tail boom to get it to move and afraid I might break something. I did see a screw that I did not loosen since it would require removing a servo to access, but may have to do that if everyone's shaft is flush to the ends of the gears.
You DO have to loosen both screws behind the servo on the frame for the tail.
If you can't get enough, then you may have one of the rare LONGER tail booms. In this case, you need to shave a little off of one of the ends of the tail boom to make it fit tight. Just make SURE that you have everything loosened ( IE: tail boom supports.) so that you can push it in all the way. I only tightened the tail boom support screws AFTER getting the boom where I wanted it, and then flexed it down while tightening it at the same time. That way I KNEW that if play existed, it would be offset by the tightness of the boom support.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
I agree with garryk.

Also check to make sure that the flat ground onto the rear of the torque rod is long enough. The flat on my torque rod was too short. This prevented the torque rod from sticking all the way through the "C" gear. This lead to slipping and stripping of the "C" gear. Gluing the "C" gear onto the torque rod gave me some temporary relief. However, the problem wasn't permanently fixed until I purchased a new torque rod. I don't need to glue the "C" gear anymore.

I notice that the torque rod also doesn't stick all the way through the "B" gear. This hasn't caused any problems for me; the "B" gear is metal, and the flat is longer.

Finally, note that the two flats on torque rod are of unequal length. The longer flat goes into the "B" gear and the shorter into the "C" gear.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Any shaft link?
I have 2 of these helis. One has BAD shaft out of the box. I swapped them so I know so. HH has been very nice to me. I don't want to ask or keep asking 'till I get a "squared" shaft. I don't mind spending a little extra and get a good one, which cuts the waiting from trial & error.
Thanks,
Spyro
Microheli, for sure. Look up Rakon and Lynx, too. I think they have aftermarket tail shafts, also, or they will soon.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
I have a JR9303.... Only issues are that binding is occasionally erratic (but it works at the 3rd try at most)
I had this problem with my 9303 as well. I read on other threads to hold the antennae literally almost touching the receiver and I bound every time without much trouble.

I was finally annoyed enough that I went ahead and did the DSMX upgrade Horizon offers for ~$75. Took about 10 days from sending the transmitter in to getting it back, but now I have zero bind problems. Probably purely psychological, but I feel like the upgrade has me more locked in. Happy I did it.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperb View Post
I had this problem with my 9303 as well. I read on other threads to hold the antennae literally almost touching the receiver and I bound every time without much trouble.

I was finally annoyed enough that I went ahead and did the DSMX upgrade Horizon offers for ~$75. Took about 10 days from sending the transmitter in to getting it back, but now I have zero bind problems. Probably purely psychological, but I feel like the upgrade has me more locked in. Happy I did it.
I had the same experience. My DSM2 TX had me reconnecting the battery many times each flight to link up. I finally just got to where I plugged in the battery with the TX off and re-bound the heli. That worked every time. When I finally went to a DSMX TX, all that went away and it works normally. Mine feels a lot more locked in, too, either from DSMX or going to a better TX. There's definitely something screwy with these 130 X control boards and DSM2 backward compatibility because a lot of people are having link issues. There was a huge thread/poll about it over on Helifreak.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperb View Post

OK now... do you mean it won't bind or it won't re-link? I have never had problems binding these helicopters with my DX7 or JR9503, but I have had some issues with a few of them (130, mQX, Nano) not wanting to link when I start up the normal way (radio on first). I also have not done the DSMX upgrade, but I woke up to a pretty good snow, so maybe it's time to send it in and be without it for a bit.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,397 Posts
I had major binding issues with my DSMX DX7s on 2 different heli's.(I was testing one for a friend.) I accidentally discovered that wiggling the heli while in bind mode helped. Weird and/or coincidental? afraid to try again lest it not bind ever again. Guess I should contact HH on this matter. Also my tail drifts unless I trim it, and my buddies doesn't.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
There is something in the manual that said to move the radio farther away from the heli if your having trouble binding it doesn't like binding when its too close.

Edit: Sorry i think your is already bound your just having trouble with it linking when pugging the battery in?
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Any shaft link?
Thanks,
Spyro
Do some research before buying any of the aftermarket shafts. I have no direct experience but some reports have been unfavorable. One person reported that the Microheli tail shaft isn't interchangable with stock:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4481

Other people have had negative experiences with the shafts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4657

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post22830839
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Good info on the 9303 guys, thanks. I did not know about the dsmx upgrade. It's a great radio.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Microheli, for sure. Look up Rakon and Lynx, too. I think they have aftermarket tail shafts, also, or they will soon.
OK, I just ordered it from eBay.
I have one perfect square (spare) hub. I gave it away to my friend just because one of my 130Xs is flying great anyway. Now, his heli flies really smooth with no vibration. It used to be "unfliable" due to tremendous shake. Of course we could have just called HH , but can't wait for the fun.
Thanks,
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Of course we could have just called HH , but can't wait for the fun.
Thanks,
- Spyro
Well, now that you have flyable parts replaced on your dime, call HH anyway and request replacement parts for the original bad ones. The wait isn't an issue now, so make them make it right. That's what I always do.