HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Got to fly my 130x again today.. ( Still waiting on more batteries so its only my third flight )

This thing is great! its just locked where you put it.... Did my first backflip->invert->front flip out with it.. ( Im new so thats kinda scary for me )
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Can anyone tell me why this heli has such bad reviews???? I know that you can not always go by what you read on-line but i just see too many on the horizon page.
Thanks, Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
Can anyone tell me why this heli has such bad reviews???? I know that you can not always go by what you read on-line but i just see too many on the horizon page.
Thanks, Eric
I think its been down to poor quality tail hubs, the bad hubs made the tail track badly, which in turn caused vibrations that shook the heli so much that other parts failed. Plus poorly milled torque shafts, that dont fit very well into the metal b gear. That aside, I'm loving mine now its fixed.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly View Post
I think its been down to poor quality tail hubs, the bad hubs made the tail track badly, which in turn caused vibrations that shook the heli so much that other parts failed. Plus poorly milled torque shafts, that dont fit very well into the metal b gear. That aside, I'm loving mine now its fixed.
So what (options) do most people do with poor quality tail hubs?
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly View Post
I had the same issues with my mcpx and after adding longer boom, aluminum swash,aluminum blade grips, completed mod on the servos, carbon landing gear, and almost everything else i had a good little heli.LOL!!!! All kidding aside, how much work will it take to make it worth it?? i want something this size and I was also looking at the v120d02s.
Thanks,Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
I guess I must just be lucky! Or maybe it's only a few people who are unlucky with faulty out-of-the-box models. Although ...

My 130x has flown flawlessly from day one except that there is a strange sporadic buzzy sound mixed in with the smooth hum of the blades. It seems that there is a manufacturing defect with the umbrella tail gear - or I was sold a 'return' under false pretences! It looks like a couple of teeth are slightly damaged but there is no damage to the tiny tail rotor gears.

That said, it does fly fine. So I have purchased a spare gear set (including the umbrella gear) & when/if it ever fails I will just replace it.

One thing I did do, as I am an ongoing beginner, is to slow down the maximum head speed in 'normal' mode (T: 0-50-65-65-65, P: 30-45-60-75-85) which calms it down significantly.

I've just flown it outside (between paragraphs) in wind gusting to 11 knots - which was interesting & fun but totally OK. Practicing take off's, landings & piro's off the lawn.

I also have:
  • Blade 450x: Far too exciting to fly in the garden & I have significantly crashed it twice - hopefully will get to fly it at a proper flying field soon
  • Blade mCPx: Easy to fly but I find it slightly too lively for indoor practice
  • Blade mcx2 (co-axial): I got this very cheap, sold as seen, with a gear mesh problem I thought I could fix. Turns out, from close inspection & looking at the various forums, the gear mesh is because the motors overheat HUGELY & have warped the plastic frame which is made of a thermoplastic, bizarrely. Will probably just put it in the wastebin
but the 130x is my favourite.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
Thanks, Eric
Looking back.

Blade CP pro total crap

Blade SR more crap

When the mcpx hit the self they had the issue with tossing blades. Horizon scrambled to do a fix and shipped out upgraded grips. Over all though rather solid and few problems after that.

Now the 130 hits after all the hype and has issues. Some feel that it's acceptable and are willing to spend time and money to fix things that never should need fixing in the first place.

Now the other group of people want what's advertised and are tired of doing product testing with their money. I fall in this group and believe in accountability, I've flown a bunch of these right out of the box and right now 1 out of every 4 is acceptable ( but far from perfect) to sell. Although I have no doubt I'll see them back soon for service. Our store demo has had over 75 demo flights. The shakes and spool up vibration are a turn off for most potential buyers. Sure it flies but people expect a lot more for $279.00.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Last edited by mike2663; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
So what (options) do most people do with poor quality tail hubs?
In the beginning, we just replaced them with another stock part since there were no aftermarket parts out yet. The tail shaft/hub material was perfectly fine, but it was the assembly that was lacking. The hub was very often pressed on to the shaft at something other than 90 degrees. I just kept asking Horizon to replace them until I got ones that were perfectly square and bought the best ones at my LHS. Now, we have some other options with aftermarket tail shafts/hubs from companies like Microheli, Rakon, Lynx, etc. Personally, I've only used the stock part because when it's square, it runs perfectly fine and it works with the Rakon tail grips.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,929 Posts
Quote:
Blade mcx2 (co-axial): I got this very cheap, sold as seen, with a gear mesh problem I thought I could fix. Turns out, from close inspection & looking at the various forums, the gear mesh is because the motors overheat HUGELY & have warped the plastic frame which is made of a thermoplastic, bizarrely. Will probably just put it in the wastebin
Or maybe offer the good parts to someone needing them, not me, but I am sure someone could some of the pieces like the control unit. I find pay it forward works well in life and this hobby...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Or maybe offer the good parts to someone needing them, not me, but I am sure someone could some of the pieces like the control unit. I find pay it forward works well in life and this hobby...
Gary
True enough. I'm going to talk to the person I got it from next week (who has some more broken ones he is selling for spares) & see if I can get a frame & two motors for free. If not, or if that doesn't fix it, then if anyone wants it I'm happy to ship it out (I'm in the UK & it's not very heavy).

What's not clear, from reading the many posts on this issue, is whether the control unit is implicated in this fault or not. Some people say just changing the motors & frame fixed the problem (& not flying multiple packs without a long gap in between). Others have given the impression that the root cause of the motors overheating is a fault in the control board/ESC's.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,929 Posts
Kevin,
I don't think the control unit overheats the motors. Long sustained flights with the 150mah lipo make the motors fairly warm. I let my little helis cool down for several minutes between flights. Have never had a problem. My MCX2 and MSR have over 100 flights with only one failure. The tail motor on the MSR gave up after about 50 flights. These things are fun when the weather keeps you inside.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Kevin,
I don't think the control unit overheats the motors. Long sustained flights with the 150mah lipo make the motors fairly warm. I let my little helis cool down for several minutes between flights. Have never had a problem. My MCX2 and MSR have over 100 flights with only one failure. The tail motor on the MSR gave up after about 50 flights. These things are fun when the weather keeps you inside.
Gary
I realise this is off-topic for this thread

But after I fixed the frame/mesh of this MCX2, by the application of some local heat & plastic stretching, it flew fine for about 20 - 30 seconds, after which it lost power & sank to the ground. Both motors were so hot that they sizzled when touched with a wet finger (after I burnt myself on one of them). Neither motors nor blades/shafts are binding & the LiPo is brand new & was fully charged.

I got it because it DOES look like a fab tool for practising indoors when the weather outside is bad. That's really the reason I got the mCPx - but it's too fast to use around the furniture!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I would think that it has even more authority in the wind with the extra power. Is that your experience?
I havent flown it in high winds yet but I will let you know. I am sure it will cope quite nicely and even more so now that I can put a 7-900mAh battery in the front with decent cg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
Looking back.

Blade CP pro total crap

Blade SR more crap

When the mcpx hit the self they had the issue with tossing blades. Horizon scrambled to do a fix and shipped out upgraded grips. Over all though rather solid and few problems after that.

Now the 130 hits after all the hype and has issues. Some feel that it's acceptable and are willing to spend time and money to fix things that never should need fixing in the first place.

Now the other group of people want what's advertised and are tired of doing product testing with their money. I fall in this group and believe in accountability, I've flown a bunch of these right out of the box and right now 1 out of every 4 is acceptable ( but far from perfect) to sell. Although I have no doubt I'll see them back soon for service. Our store demo has had over 75 demo flights. The shakes and spool up vibration are a turn off for most potential buyers. Sure it flies but people expect a lot more for $279.00.

Mike
I never owned the blade CP but I did own the SR and I thought it was a good heli. My gyro did go out on it early but HH had a new one to my door in 3 days.

The 130x I have had a few and none of them didnt fly decent out of the box. I will upgrade my hp08 to a lynx slider but that is all I feel i need. The other bling looks nice but IMHO isnt needed unless you have a super powered 130

If you are selling them for $279 and you think people expect a lot more for the price how about lowering your prices like other vendors. Lots of LHS sell for $230-240 which even if it needs a new slider, tail shaft or just a stiffer tail fin IMHO is a good deal...plus it has HH backing if something electronic goes bad.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Lots of LHS sell for $230-240 which even if it needs a new slider, tail shaft or just a stiffer tail fin IMHO is a good deal...plus it has HH backing if something electronic goes bad.
Regarding that last part and easy customer service from HH... There have been plenty of instances where HH told someone they had to go through the hobby shop for warranty repair. A major pain if you bought it from your LHS and they won't play nice or you bought it on-line from someone other than Horizon. And, HH will know you didn't buy it from them because they won't show the purchase under your name.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
iI have only bought one larger dollar item straight from HH and it was my savage flux HP and reason being they had it lower than anywhere else. Other than that I buy from LHS (rarely though they are a hobbytown) or mostly online. If someone at HH says you need to go through a LHS that is BS and I would call back or ask to be transferred until they agreed to fix their product.

I just purchased a DX18 online and I have a feeling if I ever had an issue they would not ask me to do anything with a LHS and in the remote chance they did I would ask to speak to someone else. After all it is their product and their warranty says they not a LHS supports it
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:42 PM.