HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post

This is what happens when resonance gets out of control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mclp9QmCGs
The Tacoma bridge came apart due to aeroelastic flutter. Until that time is was not expected that a bridge could be damaged in that way (although it was known to destroy aircraft). Basically, the bridge deck was too thin for its width and the high winds through the Narrows caused the bridge deck to lift and then stall causing it to drop in a repeating cycle until the bridge started coming apart.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I couldn't find it but, I read a post on HF awhile back by a Blade or HH employee who said Blade/HH was designing a new fixture to insure accurate alignment of the shaft to hub at the factory.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Well I am pretty happy with my hp08s swap out. I am running it on a 10t pinion currently but will try the 11t soon. With the 10t it is way more powerful than stock and It is nice to land after a full power flight and still find the motor cool to the touch. Also a plus to be able to move the battery more towards the main shaft. It was too powerful to flip at 100% in my office and I came close to putting it into the ceiling a few times.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
So are you running 85% TH curve? I have the exact same setup but have not installed it yet. I will when I get the BL Nanos and do all at the same time.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Interesting, that's the first time I've ever heard of heat from the motor actually killing a servo. Are you sure that's what did it?
No,, I'm not sure that's what did it, but it can't help either. I'm trying to figure out if that's what caused it, but will probably never know.
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
I have been flying with a couple friends so its usually I warm up on the MCPX, somone flys a 450.. I fly the 130x once.... then I fly my 450.

So there is lots of time between but I just have the one battery so i get one flight per outing

That leads me to a question, I have a dynamite passport ultra charger is there an adapter of some sort to charge these batteries with it? I do not want to paralell charge..just a one lead deal. I could at least charge it off my truck battery and get an extra 130x flight in when I go out.
I bought an adapter from my LHS that plugs into my Hyperion ES0606i charger balance port and main leads. Weird little adapter, but works great.
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:36 AM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
So are you running 85% TH curve? I have the exact same setup but have not installed it yet. I will when I get the BL Nanos and do all at the same time.

Bob
yes for my indoor flying 85 and outside I run both 85 & 100. I had to turn the gyro down quite a bit though.

It appears with 10t the motor doesn't need to try at all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
yes for my indoor flying 85 and outside I run both 85 & 100. I had to turn the gyro down quite a bit though.

It appears with 10t the motor doesn't need to try at all.
You probably had to go to -5 on the rudder gyro setting. That's what I had been running until I strengthen my frame and tail supports. Now I am back to neutral which will change again when I install the HP 08. Dylan suggested that I solder the motor wires direct to the board leads rather than used connectors. Did you use connectors or solder directly?
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I think I am at -7 until I get some more parts to tighten it up a bit. I always get rid of plugs on micro heli's when I can so yes i soldered it to the leads
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Here is some info about the tail servo for everyone. I replaced the torque tube and the tail still had a kick out under full pitch load flying the even stronger 8500kv 9g motor. It was better but not perfect. So I thought it might be the tail servo itself that was just burned out from the hard 3D flights. I decided to take the servo apart to check the brushes and contact strips before replacing the servo just to save some work and time. I found that both strips had a gold layer of residue on them caused by the brushes themselves. Used alcohol to clean up both the strips and brushes and put the servo back together for testing. Flew her this morning and the tail is solid again under full pitch climb outs inverted and not. Nice. You might want to check your servos if you have a sloppy tail response or it just doesn't hold as good as it used to. Cheap solution.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I like to let mine cool down between flights, so I only have the stock battery and a Lectron 450mAh that can be charged at 6C. I charge the stock one at 3C (900mA) and the Lectron at 4C (1800mA) They charge in about 8 minutes, so 2 is good enough for me.
The elevator servo is so close to the main motor that it gets a lot of the heat from that. I've already had to replace the elevator servo after only about 30 flights. I hope letting it cool a little more between flights helps this out. I need to get cooling fins or an HP08 motor to fly batteries back to back.
Garry K.
The stock inrunner is not that close to the servo. Are you sure it not being caused by the crown gear rubbing on the servo board?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Here is some info about the tail servo for everyone. I replaced the torque tube and the tail still had a kick out under full pitch load flying the even stronger 8500kv 9g motor. It was better but not perfect. So I thought it might be the tail servo itself that was just burned out from the hard 3D flights. I decided to take the servo apart to check the brushes and contact strips before replacing the servo just to save some work and time. I found that both strips had a gold layer of residue on them caused by the brushes themselves. Used alcohol to clean up both the strips and brushes and put the servo back together for testing. Flew her this morning and the tail is solid again under full pitch climb outs inverted and not. Nice. You might want to check your servos if you have a sloppy tail response or it just doesn't hold as good as it used to. Cheap solution.
When (not if, but when) my tail rotor servo dies, my "cheap solution" is going to be a $20 E-flite DS35 servo. Several people have done this mod and really seem to like it. One guy even replaced his cyclic servos with DS35s, too.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
When (not if, but when) my tail rotor servo dies, my "cheap solution" is going to be a $20 E-flite DS35 servo. Several people have done this mod and really seem to like it. One guy even replaced his cyclic servos with DS35s, too.
Yeah, already ordered a few of them to test as well. The thing is, we are trying to test the new motors using stock parts to see how durable they end up being with the additional power and HS. Tached the new motor and the heli is spinning up at 5700 rpm. Awesome. LOL.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I had the same issue last week. Got it fixed with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeoxIT-D100S...item3f1d913f60
I just sprayed it and the servo issue was gone. I sprayed it with aerosol air spray after DeOxiting it. I use it on my mCPx too whenever the servos go "bad".
I just pray it on the servo without removing them.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Well I am pretty happy with my hp08s swap out. I am running it on a 10t pinion currently but will try the 11t soon. With the 10t it is way more powerful than stock and It is nice to land after a full power flight and still find the motor cool to the touch. Also a plus to be able to move the battery more towards the main shaft. It was too powerful to flip at 100% in my office and I came close to putting it into the ceiling a few times.
I would think that it has even more authority in the wind with the extra power. Is that your experience?
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs