HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Put it on the ground and fly it. It's not designed to work while being held in your hand.

Well,
I have an MCPx and I've done the same thing with it, and it works fine...I dunno if that's because it has a tail motor instead of a TT or not. I also have a Trex 250 that I do that with and there's no vibrations (belt drive versus TT). I have a blade 400 3D as well (again, belt drive versus TT)...same thing...no vibes. The 130X...it shook so bad the control rod actually came out of the guide. I don't think it's because it was in my hands, because without the blades on the tail it spun up to 100% throttle with little to no vibes at all (at least not noticeable to me), which leads me to think that the tail shaft is like in the first post's picture of the tail shafts that aren't square. I think I'll contact HH too, and see what can be done. I don't want to fly it and have it crash just to get parts to repair it, I'd rather prevent the crash
I guess I need to learn how to perform 'dynamic' blade balancing. I have a micro blade balancer and they're perfectly balanced with that.
PKM_Heliman is offline Find More Posts by PKM_Heliman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM_Heliman View Post
Well,
I have an MCPx and I've done the same thing with it, and it works fine...I dunno if that's because it has a tail motor instead of a TT or not. I also have a Trex 250 that I do that with and there's no vibrations (belt drive versus TT). I have a blade 400 3D as well (again, belt drive versus TT)...same thing...no vibes. The 130X...it shook so bad the control rod actually came out of the guide. I don't think it's because it was in my hands, because without the blades on the tail it spun up to 100% throttle with little to no vibes at all (at least not noticeable to me), which leads me to think that the tail shaft is like in the first post's picture of the tail shafts that aren't square. I think I'll contact HH too, and see what can be done. I don't want to fly it and have it crash just to get parts to repair it, I'd rather prevent the crash
I guess I need to learn how to perform 'dynamic' blade balancing. I have a micro blade balancer and they're perfectly balanced with that.
Mine has the resonance vibes at a certain RPM and stops above there... but if I was holding it in my hand, it might vibrate at all RPMs. Watch the flight at the end of the video - it's completely normal to do that. If it was a serious problem, my 130X would be having problems by now, and it's not.

Blade 130X Consumer Review (14 min 45 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
OK, I trust you. I'll try it when I get home tonight
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
OK, I trust you. I'll try it when I get home tonight
Well watch the video... during the take off, you can see the "normal" vibration. If you have something worse than that, it's definitely a problem. I'm just saying make that determination before replacing parts - it could be fine and you don't know right now.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,492 Posts
Concerning dynamic balancing the tail blades...
It's just a bit of trial and error. Cut a piece of tape about 1/4" x 1/4" and place approx in the middle of one blade, spin it up. If it's better you got the right blade. If it's worse move the tape to the other blade. Once you have something that tells you it's better you can then add another sliver of tape on the blade with the piece of tape or you can move the original piece in or out. A few tries and it should be near perfect. It's ok to hold the heli in your hand for this as you spool it up. I got mine done in less than 10 minutes and ended up with a piece of tape on both blades.
DanBo3D is online now Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well watch the video... during the take off, you can see the "normal" vibration. If you have something worse than that, it's definitely a problem. I'm just saying make that determination before replacing parts - it could be fine and you don't know right now.
I don't even get that anymore. I installed better bearings, and balanced my blades. I don't get that weird start up behaviour anymore.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
Inverted Airfield
Iowa
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Also, make sure your tail blades have 0 degrees of pitch with the throttle stick all the way down. I check mine by rotating the tail blades until they hit the edge of the blade grips; one right, and the other left. They should form a straight line when viewed from above. You can adjust pitch by moving the servo tray for or aft, or by winding the tail blade control rod in or out. Otherwise plan on wearing goggles so when your heli sheds a tail blade, it doesn't hit you in you eyeball. Trust me on this one. I have delt with enough of these to know when the vibrations are excessive enough for it to loose a blade on it's maiden flight, and by the way you are describing it vibrating well past 1/3 throttle, I guarantee you what the outcome will be. Another thing to watch for is, don't over-tighten the tail blades because this can cause excessive tail vibrations. They should be adjusted so they are just loose enough to fall under their own weight with this particular heli as the tail rotor is being rotated.
HeliFax is offline Find More Posts by HeliFax
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I don't even get that anymore. I installed better bearings, and balanced my blades. I don't get that weird start up behaviour anymore.

J
+1!

Same here. I saw no good reason to put up with harmonic vibration in a system that spins at 20,000 RPM - especially when it was so easy to fix. And it does not vibrate when spooled-up in my hand, either. However, it did before I solved the tail vibration issue.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1!

Same here. I saw no good reason to put up with harmonic vibration in a system that spins at 20,000 RPM - especially when it was so easy to fix. And it does not vibrate when spooled-up in my hand, either. However, it did before I solved the tail vibration issue.

Joel
I spent a lot of time on my 130's. I haven't even finished my trex250 builds lol Any aggressive or intent vibrations are bad period. I have been flying my 2 back to back with no issues other than a C or D gear change out..doesn't take long at all anymore to do. My other 2 are shelved awaiting parts. I also have a 300x only flew a couple times and tail servo went out. I put in all align digital servos and am chasing a tail wag problem. I just want to sell it with my bucket of parts that I wasted my money on lol. It is too much for my back yard.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
I love this little heli, but I am still plagued by an occasional glitch. This morning it happened twice. The heli just stops responding for a second and then continues flying. If I am up high enough, I can recover before it hits the ground. I thought it might be temperature related, but this morning it was cool and it happened after 2 mins flying. It acts like the rx just loses signal and resets. I talked to some other guys that are having the same problem. How many on this forum have experienced this?
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I love this little heli, but I am still plagued by an occasional glitch. This morning it happened twice. The heli just stops responding for a second and then continues flying. If I am up high enough, I can recover before it hits the ground. I thought it might be temperature related, but this morning it was cool and it happened after 2 mins flying. It acts like the rx just loses signal and resets. I talked to some other guys that are having the same problem. How many on this forum have experienced this?
My 130X would just lose power and drop out of the air on the fourth battery when I flew them back to back. If I let the motor cool down for five minutes or so it would be fine but, would fall out of the air after a few more back to back flights. I called HH. They said it was my 3 in 1 and sent me a new PCB which fixed the problem.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I had a similar problem on my mcpx. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to diagnose. The problem is that if there is any issue with any electronic component, it will reset the board. First check that all electronics are firmly plugged in. A loose servo or motor wire could do it. On my mcpx, the issue stopped after I replaced the main motor. Good luck!
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Ok, put her back together and spun her up. Horrific noise and vibration till about 3/4 stick then it went smooth. Flew 2 batts through it and did some inspecting. Tail pin for slider was almost out of its hole. Slop in tail bearings. Could have lost the entire tail which would have led to a nasty crash. Guess I'll have to contact HH and see what they can do to send me better parts...sad...I sure hope the nano cpx I have coming turns out better...I also see that the big dark gear now has a slight groove in it. Could this be from the FET on the front servo???
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
..I also see that the big dark gear now has a slight groove in it. Could this be from the FET on the front servo???
More likely, it is from the pinion being too tight against it. You need a little bit of play for it run smooth.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
I sure hope the nano cpx I have coming turns out better...
I would not hold my breath, so to speak... the 130X is actually a better design, IMO, and the Nano looks to be a shrunk-down mCPx. I seriously doubt it will be as solid as the 130X.