Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Update:

Upon further inspection, I found that the boom had been 'sprung' & had lost much of its torsional rigidity. In the process of replacing the boom, I noticed that the port flange bearing had spun in the tailcase, thereby enlarging the hole considerably. I decided to shorten the new boom just enough to prevent C-gear separation. I'm picking up a new case at the LHS today & should have a flight-report this evening.

Joel

Update:

Installed the new tailcase & the bird is back to being smooth as silk. No vibes, no shakes, and the tail holds as it should - regardless of how hard I hit the collective.

So, the tail problem had nothing to do with the new parts I had installed. Rather, it was caused by a damaged boom & a spun tailcase bearing. I am reminded of the classic scientific mantra - correlation alone does not imply causation.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey View Post
How many of you are running packs back to back on the 130x? I've been doing that with my 3 packs but I think I may have actually burned my finger on the motor today while unplugging a battery.

I'm just worried that the motor may be getting too hot is all, Eflight says it is within spec, but it seems rather warm.

Whiskey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDon View Post
Great news, thanks Joel.
I assume you are using the same swash option as Pat...?? (HELISWH1)
Whiskey,

I fly with TP 325 mAh & Hyp 450 mAh packs. I often fly back-to-back flights, and have not had any heat-related motor issues. But then I am not flying aggressive aerobatic flights. More like sport & scale flying with a few loops & rolls thrown in. I have not measured the temp, but the motor is often hot to the touch. I'd guess that it's similar to what Charles reported.

Don,

Yes. However, it's called 'H-1' in the 10C. BTW - I've been flying future-proof module-based rigs since the late 80s. Just for grins, I popped the DM8 module + antenna into my vintage FP-7FG/E, set the servo directions & endpoints, dialed-in some expo, and flew a modern BNF aircraft with the mid-80s rig. Unfortunately, module-based rigs seem to be an endangered species nowadays.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey View Post
How many of you are running packs back to back on the 130x?
I typically run 6 packs back to back. I fly for 4 minutes per pack (from motor on to motor off). It usually takes me a couple of minutes to change packs.

I usually fly early in the morning when it's cool: 60F-70F
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Last edited by ifoguy; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,633 Posts
Those who are avoiding the 130 X are missing out on a lot of great flying , IMO.

I have reaplced the A gear with a metal one, replaced one cyclic servo after 61 flights(its' motor died) ,replaced a tail boom and TT after a hard tail strike at speed. That is all of the parts replaced,118 flights to date..

I added a mCPX feathering shaft thrust washer at flight #10 and I am still running all of the original bearings ,now at 118 flights. My two brushless and one brushed mCPXs have six flights total on them since getting the 130 X 7 weeks ago and that was only because of the busted tail boom on the first flight of the day at the field and I carry a BL mCPX as a back up.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Those who are avoiding the 130 X are missing out on a lot of great flying , IMO.
Yes, and there is a good number of them that work just fine right out of the box. I've never messed with mine, and it's only gotten better as it breaks in. Unfortunately, I don't feel the need to complain about that very much, so the voice of those of us who aren't having problems gets drowned out. I wonder what the ratio really is - almost nobody posting on the internet about the thing is doing so because they love it and have had zero problems with it. So, that's the bias... but I know of at least 5 of these which have been working great
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

I have reaplced the A gear with a metal one, replaced one cyclic servo after 61 flights(its' motor died) ,replaced a tail boom and TT after a hard tail strike at speed. That is all of the parts replaced,118 flights to date..

I added a mCPX feathering shaft thrust washer at flight #10 and I am still running all of the original bearings ,now at 118 flights. My two brushless and one brushed mCPXs have six flights total on them since getting the 130 X 7 weeks ago and that was only because of the busted tail boom on the first flight of the day at the field and I carry a BL mCPX as a back up.

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yes, and there is a good number of them that work just fine right out of the box. I've never messed with mine, and it's only gotten better as it breaks in. Unfortunately, I don't feel the need to complain about that very much, so the voice of those of us who aren't having problems gets drowned out. I wonder what the ratio really is - almost nobody posting on the internet about the thing is doing so because they love it and have had zero problems with it. So, that's the bias... but I know of at least 5 of these which have been working great
Charles,

I agree 100%!! While they're sitting on the fence, we have been flying up a storm & having a blast with the bird!

Jaz,

It is common knowledge that forums are extremely poor sources of statistical data - for the reasons you noted. Only a small fraction of RCers post on forums in the first place. The vast majority of those who do, are motivated to do so because they have a problem.

Mine flew perfectly after balancing the tail-rotor & eliminating the slop in the tailcase. Of course, balancing rotors is simply part of the hobby and is to be expected, and I consider changing the flange bearings to be a trivial matter.

The sprung tailboom was obviously crash-related, so there is nothing to complain about there. The spun flange bearing was also my fault, as I did not insure that the bearing was a friction-fit in the first place.

I absolutely love this heli! It does exactly what I tell it to do & it responds exactly as I expect it to respond. In just two months of flying the 130X, I have advanced my flying skills more than I did in a year of flying the BSR & more than a year of flying the mCP X. Plus, it is nearly as tough as my mCP X. I am amazed at how much abuse this bird can handle without breaking or bending anything.

Was flying circuits around my yard in a gusty 15-20 MPH wind this morning - just because I can! Managing the abrupt changes in translational lift kept me busy, but she handled the wind remarkably well, considering her size & disk-loading. However, I do prefer to fly my 300X in such conditions. Speaking of the 300X - everything I've learned on the 130X has translated directly to the 300X. For the first time since I started teaching myself to fly helis, I actually feel comfortable flying circuits. Not quite as comfortable & automatic as flying fixed-wing feels to me, but very close. Given the above, my 130X has already paid for itself.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
37 Posts
I had my doubts about getting one but was talked into it at a LHS in Fargo. Had read on several forms about the problems but figured I could fix them so went ahead and got one. Checked it out and put lube in all the bearings. Flew just fine other then turning down the tail setting by 3 to get rid of a slight wag. Best flying heli I have ever had. Lots of wind around here but it flies just fine even in 10mph with gusts close to 20mph. Broke one blade grip on a porch swing I hit and wore out the plastic gear. Still flying stock bearings but has metal A gear and new set of blade grips. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Glade I got it may get another next spring. Preordered the Nano for winter inside hoping it's half as good as the 130x.
RMSlinkers is offline Find More Posts by RMSlinkers
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Anyone else get a ''Password Security Notice'' email from rcgroups?
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,984 Posts
Horizon Blade 130X HP08s (4 min 13 sec)

here's a video of mines
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yes, and there is a good number of them that work just fine right out of the box. I've never messed with mine ... I know of at least 5 of these which have been working great
jasmine2501:
Could you please say more about the experience of you and your 5 fellow fliers?

Did you and your friends literally pull the helicopters out of the box, charge the batteries and fly?

Did you balance the blades? Did you check the collective pitch range? Did you add canopy grommets to the ball links?

Did you scan the forums to become aware of known problems and look over the helicopters to make sure that your helicopters were OK?

I ask because I've purchased a few supposedly BNF and RTF helicopters in the past and they've all required inspection, adjustments, and tweaking to fly right.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Dec 2005
37 Posts
I got the notice today so changed my pass word. Wasn't sure if I needed to but thought best to be safe.
RMSlinkers is offline Find More Posts by RMSlinkers
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy View Post
jasmine2501:
Three are beginners who I don't know very well. They got the heli at the hobby shop and we were talking about it - they did not report any problems in spite of my joking about the thing being a POS according to the internet. Myself and another guy are very experienced - he works at a hobby shop and you know me, I've been flying these things for a lot of years, making review videos and how-to videos and what not. I'll talk mostly about the two of us - he has flown my 130X.

Quote:
Did you and your friends literally pull the helicopters out of the box, charge the batteries and fly?
Yes, that's what I did. The flight in my review video is the second flight. The helicopter is still a little tight in that video. The shakes that it had when switching to idle-up are gone now. My buddy said he doesn't have that problem - he mentioned that his acts a little funny when going into a turn at high speed, that's why he was flying mine. We never determined what the issue is - I think he was just letting it slip a bit. He says his 130X flies good and he hasn't made any mods to it. He said mine felt a little smoother but it's got a lot more flights on it. He flies a little harder than I do - I was actually surprised the thing could flip as fast as he flips it

Quote:
Did you balance the blades? Did you check the collective pitch range? Did you add canopy grommets to the ball links?
I checked the collective range and had to make a small adjustment. There was grommets on the ball links already. I didn't balance the blades, I flew with the weighted blades for a couple flights, now I run the orange blades. It doesn't seem out of balance so I never checked it. I don't get neurotic about this stuff until it's warranted.

Quote:
Did you scan the forums to become aware of known problems and look over the helicopters to make sure that your helicopters were OK?
Yes I've been reading this thread since before it was released. I was aware of some of the issues that people were reporting. However, I didn't want to be biased and go looking for those problems. I have enough experience to determine if the thing is flying correctly, so I took it out of the box and made that determination without a lot of bias. Watch the video and see what I had to say during the flight.

Quote:
I ask because I've purchased a few supposedly BNF and RTF helicopters in the past and they've all required inspection, adjustments, and tweaking to fly right.
No it's definitely a good question. When you get into these CP helicopters, if you aren't confident in your ability to save it if something is wrong, you should probably do more careful checks than what I would do. For me, it's all about how the thing flies, and it flew good and still does so I haven't messed with it. I have crashed it once and had to replace the rear tail gear and the tail shaft, but that was just my mistake.

Here's the thing that I don't understand - I own the mCPX, mSR, mCX, 130X, Blade 400, Blade 300X, some Trexes and some other random stuff... but I don't seem to be having the problems other people are having. I am positive it's not that I'm just getting lucky - there is something going on here. There is a reason why I've been happy with all those Blade helicopters and other people aren't. I don't know what the reason is, but I haven't had the same issues that other people are having, and it has been that way with every Blade I have, not just this one. Either I'm doing better maintenance or people are overreacting to things that aren't really problems. (I had a brown-out with my 300X though - that's a problem nobody else has had.)

This is the point I was trying to make before: a lot of the things that people identify as problems don't amount to a hill of beans when you consider how the thing flies. So, I don't bother to "fix" those things because I find it to be a waste of time. So it shakes a bit on spool-up, big deal, it flies amazing!

Blade 130X Consumer Review (14 min 45 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Are you running the 10 tooth pinion or the 11 tooth pinion?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy View Post
jasmine2501:

U
I'm not Jasmine but, this is my experience. I got the first 130x my LHS received. I literally took it out of the box, charged the battery and flew it . It flew fine. None of the info available on the forums today was available then. There was some shaking on ascent and decent, the tail wagged some and there was spool up vibration but nothing I couldn't live with. I subsequently learned from the forums and installed the canopy grommets, reduced the tail gain by -5 and installed an mCPX feathering shaft thrust washer in the tail to remove the slop. I just installed the metal A gear because, I got tired of replacing the plastic gear every 25-30 flights. I'm approaching 150 flights. The only problems I have had were due to crashes. I am totally satisfied with my 130X.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Are you running the 10 tooth pinion or the 11 tooth pinion?

Bob
I'm using an 11t.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS