SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Love your inverted flying. I still can't do it yet. With all that tall grass around, why didn't you fly over that more instead of concrete?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Love your inverted flying. I still can't do it yet. With all that tall grass around, why didn't you fly over that more instead of concrete?

Bob
Or in that big, nice yard of his I saw in videos some pages back.
Skidder87 is offline Find More Posts by Skidder87
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post

Bob
I started out over the grass at first as that was the main reason I went there but as my confidence grew I just started flying over the road. I mainly went to fly my 3DHS 57" Extra but ran two quick battery packs through my 130x before packing up.

Thanks for the compliment on the inverted flying. I've really been working on it in RF6. Once I can sling it around like I do while flying upright I'll be satisfied. Then onto backwards flying!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder87 View Post
Or in that big, nice yard of his I saw in videos some pages back.
Well I started out like that on Sunday but found that it somehow felt really tight! In other words I wasn't quite ready for that as I still have to think through the stick movements every now and then... And that lead to a few hard crashes and even getting stuck in a tree.

So I figured I'd stay in wide open spaces until I have better control without having to think first. It's getting there though. Just need more stick time.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Well I started out like that on Sunday but found that it somehow felt really tight! In other words I wasn't quite ready for that as I still have to think through the stick movements every now and then... And that lead to a few hard crashes and even getting stuck in a tree.

So I figured I'd stay in wide open spaces until I have better control without having to think first. It's getting there though. Just need more stick time.
Understood. Just looked like you had plenty of room there.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,853 Posts
Oh I wanna see that 57 SC vid doing Backwards Flying!!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Oh I wanna see that 57 SC vid doing Backwards Flying!!
LOL! . I can do a tail slide... Does that count??
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Understood. Just looked like you had plenty of room there.
I do on one side. It on the other it gets a lot tighter with a few low hanging limbs!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
LOL! . I can do a tail slide... Does that count??
Only if it's beside a big rainbow.....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
I was having the wobble / shakes pretty bad on my 130X. When I first replaced the o-rings with the spare grommets, that took care of it. But now, after around 100 flights, it came back and it was consistent throughout almost the entire flight. So here's the steps I tried without any results:
  • Ensure both parts of swash are connected and tight
  • Added mcpx dampeners to swash instead of grommets. First try swash to grips, then try replacing existing grommets with them.
  • Check main shaft is true. Take off blades and watch head button.
  • Check for cracked main shaft
  • Blade balancing. Perfectly balanced - using yellow high performance blades
  • Try bullet blades. Shakes were less dramatic but just as frequent
  • Ensure even blade grip tension
  • Try different blade grip tensions
  • Ensure the main gear is pressed firmly in place
  • Ensure all servo gears are perfectly in place
  • Ensure all servo motors are mounted correctly. Tail servo motor came loose and screw had stripped the plastic cage for it. I used some CA around the screw to mount it firmly back in place. Still no help for shakes but saved me from a future crash.
  • 3 different battery packs with different discharge rates, capacity and weight.
  • Decrease gain all the way on all 3 axis: (-10 each). Got rid of about 30% of it. Still flies well.
  • Remove blades and spool up looking for erratic servo movement. I saw a little and thought I might have to replace the 'aileron' servo, but I didn't. That would have been the last resort.
  • Unplugged main motor and looked for same erratic servo movement and there was none.
Here's what worked!....... Lube bearings & shafts. Who would have thought?
  • Grease on the main shaft around swash
  • Grease on the tail shaft around slider
  • Oil swash bearings
  • Oil main & tail grip bearings
  • Oil Bearings behind B & C gear
  • Oil bearings around main shaft
  • Oil on top of servo shafts
That resolved most of the wobble. It only does it 2 or 3 times per flight now and it's very minor.

That's it! I hope that saves someone some time and aggravation.

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
I don't see cleaning the servos in that list. After installing grommets, that was always the cause of a wobble or shakes on my mCP X. Haven't run into that problem with the 130 X...yet...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Believe it or not, I tried the yellow blades (same non-bullet profile) from Horizon and they weren't as visible as the contrasting stock black/white ones. Shame because they sure stood out on the ground, but once they were spun up, they basically disappeared in the air, especially on overcast days.
Quote:
The yellow ones looked good on the ground, but they really weren't neon glowing or whatever enough to really stand out in flight.
The yellow ones look awesome with the red/yellow canopy and yellow tail blades. But it's true, once in the air, you really can't tell. But the yellow tail blades do make a difference. There's one exception to the main blade contrast; I was flying with dark storm clouds coming in from the front and still had some sun shining from behind me. Those blades looked awesome then! I wish I had a camera to take some pics of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
The colored blades for the 130x flex too much during hard flying....They are almost like wet noodles..
I could tell no difference between the two and I flew them back-to-back. Maybe I should give it another go.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
I don't see cleaning the servos in that list. After installing grommets, that was always the cause of a wobble or shakes on my mCP X. Haven't run into that problem with the 130 X...yet...
That was actually the last thing on my list to try but thankfully, never got to it. I put it last because it's more labor intensive then all the other things.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
That was actually the last thing on my list to try but thankfully, never got to it. I put it last because it's more labor intensive then all the other things.
Yet you still have some wobbles remaining. Along with the grommets, it very well may have completely eliminated the wobbles/shakes, had you tried that first... Mine is rock solid, but I haven't had to clean my 130 X servos yet. But, if the wobbles rear their ugly head, barring any obvious crash or wear damage, the servos is where I'll start first because I know that works wonders on my mCP X.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Is there anyone in this forum that actually has zero wobble during flight? If there's more then one or two, I may just clean those servos.