HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
In my experience with six Blade heli's, yes!
Nobody told you Blades are over-priced glass jaw helicopters with bad motors? You're just paying for advertising, the components only cost $2!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I would normally agree, but this is a solid titanium shaft. Anybody use the titanium shaft on the MCPX? The problem with the CF shaft is it will split over time.
I tried the hollow titanium shaft, but not the solid version. I was looking for something that spins truer than the stock shaft. The hollow titanium shaft was very easy to bend. In fact, it would bend in situations where the stock shaft would have easily survived. I switched to the solid cf shaft, which spins true, and has been working well for the last few hundred flights. I also switched to the MH swash. I noticed a significant improvement in precision & repeatability. The solid titanium shafts should be nearly indestructible.

Every system has a weakest link. It's simply a matter of where you want the 'fuse' to be. The idea is to make the 'fuse' easy & cheap to replace.

Back to the 130X. Received my metal A-gear & MH stainless pitch-slider, but I have yet to install them. The CNC tailbox looks very interesting, but the tail on mine is smooth at any RPM, so I probably won't bother with it. I might try a set of Rakon's heat-sinks, as I often fly with Hyp 450s & I like to fly back-to-back flights.

How many of you are using light blades, rather than the factory weighted blades?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 15, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Nobody told you Blades are over-priced glass jaw helicopters with bad motors? You're just paying for advertising, the components only cost $2!
Yeah, I read all that. The bottom line is Blade helicopters have worked for me. I don't mind tinkering with them to make them perfect. They fly well and parts are readily available at LHS. I would like parts to be cheaper (along with everything else I buy) but, I try to fly within my capability to minimize breakage. I have had a few issues however, HH has given me excellent customer service. I realize people do have issues with Blade helicopters but, my experience has been positive.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I
How many of you are using light blades, rather than the factory weighted blades?

Joel
I'm using the factory non-bullet blades. Feels faster and snappier all around, which is expected. Believe it or not, I tried the yellow blades (same non-bullet profile) from Horizon and they weren't as visible as the contrasting stock black/white ones. Shame because they sure stood out on the ground, but once they were spun up, they basically disappeared in the air, especially on overcast days.
Skidder87 is offline Find More Posts by Skidder87
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Orange performance ones for me.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Orange performance ones for me.
Do you find them to be highly visible against an overcast sky? The yellow ones looked good on the ground, but they really weren't neon glowing or whatever enough to really stand out in flight.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Yeah, I read all that. The bottom line is Blade helicopters have worked for me. I don't mind tinkering with them to make them perfect. They fly well and parts are readily available at LHS. I would like parts to be cheaper (along with everything else I buy) but, I try to fly within my capability to minimize breakage. I have had a few issues however, HH has given me excellent customer service. I realize people do have issues with Blade helicopters but, my experience has been positive.
Yup, good summary.

There is not a helicopter on earth that people don't have problems with. Usually they complain about the tail doing tiny little things that really aren't a problem. I've never witnessed a helicopter released without a tail problem, for somebody.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yup, good summary.

There is not a helicopter on earth that people don't have problems with. Usually they complain about the tail doing tiny little things that really aren't a problem. I've never witnessed a helicopter released without a tail problem, for somebody.

+1!

Yah, I just "fly the thing"!

Sometimes it bounces, sometimes it drifts, sometimes it mocks me!

I just let my hand/eye compensate automatically and it's all good!

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
+1!

Yah, I just "fly the thing"!

Sometimes it bounces, sometimes it drifts, sometimes it mocks me!

I just let my hand/eye compensate automatically and it's all good!

b
Yeah, I like that answer because it kinda fits me too.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder87 View Post
Do you find them to be highly visible against an overcast sky? The yellow ones looked good on the ground, but they really weren't neon glowing or whatever enough to really stand out in flight.

There is a wide variation in how different people see colors. On my mCPXs I tried stock,orange and pink KBDDs,Blade performance ones in yellow ,orange and yellow. To me the orange KBDDs were the most visible but I did not like thier performance so Blade orange ones are what I settled on.
I felt like I did not need to try them all over again on the 130 X. I do wish the Blade ones were as bright as the KBs however.

I have read a few good reports on the KBs for the 130 so I may try an orange set sometime but overall I find that when I am flying big air blade colors do not make that much difference. When the heli is 200 to 400 feet away all I really see is a dark object moving thru the sky so I had best pay attation and remember what direction the nose is pointed.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,571 Posts
The colored blades for the 130x flex too much during hard flying....They are almost like wet noodles..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Just switched to the Eflite performance blades & took her up for a spin. Cyclic is a lot perkier, that's for sure. I also noticed that she's more responsive to collective, due to the lower rotational mass. Stuffed her into the grass from about 15' AGL during my first roll, as I wasn't expecting that much difference in roll-rate. Not a bit of damage, however. I can now do nearly stationary rolls & flips. Seems to be a bit more pitch-sensitive during FFF, but that would be expected. I think I'll stick with the performance blades for aerobatics & switch to the weighted blades for scale flying.

I'm getting so comfortable with this bird that flying her feels almost as natural & automatic as flying fixed-wing - and I've only been flying her for about 6 weeks!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Got some flying in on the 130x tonight. This camera work is shoddy at best - I had it too low but you can see most of the inverted stuff. I'm getting much more comfortable on my inverted circuits now. I had a massive tail blowout at the end which caused a crash but no damage that I can see.

Blade 130x Inverted Circuit Practice and Tail Blowout! (3 min 31 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
You fly off what looks to be a two lane highway?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder87 View Post
You fly off what looks to be a two lane highway?
LOL! Looks that way but no. It's actually a side road that happens to be very wide and hardly get any traffic.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm