HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
319 Posts
I had a Blade SR which I only sold a few weeks ago. And that was because it became redundant once I bought the 300X. I didn't find it too bad as it was my introduction to CP apart from a Twister CP on 35MHz that I did hate. I agree it was flimsy and the tail motor idea a pain but it taught me a lot about CP. I had a great deal of help from the shop I bought it from. They set it up on a DX8 for me and I just left the DX5e in the box. I know of a few others in the local club as well. They don't seem to hate them with the passion they seem to be hated here. Possibly I didn't get far enough advanced flying it to see these bad traits.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:27 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
It's actually the balance tap for any charger and should be kept, especially if you want to charge at more than 1C. I use the thicker power wires for the red and black to the UMX connector but run the white wire from the balance connector to the white wire of the UMX connector so you can balance charge it and use the thicker wires for power delivery. Sounds weird, but it works great.
That sounds great, will try that. Thank you!
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Some people... I fly like a fairy and I'm just trying to crash. And I can't understand the voltage display on my transmitter either. And all my YouTube videos clearly show me just putzing my planes around.

I don't know what I was thinking when I shared my experiences with the DX8 lipo.
I want to get a DX8, but the stock battery is an issue for me.
Do you have a link for this battery? I've been looking, but can't find the right one.
Thanks,
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I want to get a DX8, but the stock battery is an issue for me.
Do you have a link for this battery? I've been looking, but can't find the right one.
Thanks,
Oops, never mind. I knew as soon as I asked, I would find it (at Hobby King)

Thanks,
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
I had a Blade SR which I only sold a few weeks ago. And that was because it became redundant once I bought the 300X. I didn't find it too bad as it was my introduction to CP apart from a Twister CP on 35MHz that I did hate. I agree it was flimsy and the tail motor idea a pain but it taught me a lot about CP. I had a great deal of help from the shop I bought it from. They set it up on a DX8 for me and I just left the DX5e in the box. I know of a few others in the local club as well. They don't seem to hate them with the passion they seem to be hated here. Possibly I didn't get far enough advanced flying it to see these bad traits.
I never really got past the hovering/slow-flight stage with mine. The lethargic motorized tail didn't bother me as much as the extremely vague & mushy marshmallow handling did. Instead of commanding the heli, I was chasing it around the parking lot. Felt like driving a car with shot ball-joints & about a 1/4-turn of play in the wheel. Even after dumping the all-but-useless stock tx, fixing the mushy, marshmallow head, and maxing the HS - the handling was still far too vague & mushy. That's not the proper way to learn to fly or drive anything. A good training platform should have crisp, precise, and predictable handling. That is what instills confidence in a new pilot or driver - RC or full-scale.

About the only useful thing I learned with the BSR is how a heli shouldn't handle. I picked up an mCP X and advanced my helis skills more in just two hours of flying it than I had done in a year of chasing the BSR around the parking lot.

But I digress....

Back to the 130X. Looks like a great morning for flying! My TP 325s are charged. I think it's time for some lawn-patrol. Gotta keep those rogue squadrons of chickadees in check...

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
319 Posts
Come to think of it was was chasing the Blade SR around a lot. Lethargic, I didnt mind too much as I was still needing time to react to things at that point. The 300x and 130x are a world of difference though. And the beauty of the 130x is I can fly with a fair amount of confidence just outside my front door.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
23 Posts
I'm about half way through the thread, and you've convinced me. Ordering today, should be here in a week. Moving up from an MSRx, and skipping the MCPx as the 130 seems a bit more visible, reasonably sturdy, and a bit more stable.

Quick question: other than batteries, what replacement parts should I stock up on along with my order?

Also: I'm assuming the connector is the same as the Beast/UM Stryker? If not I'll need to pick up yet another parallel charge cable...
pmeyer is offline Find More Posts by pmeyer
Last edited by pmeyer; Aug 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Some people... I fly like a fairy and I'm just trying to crash. And I can't understand the voltage display on my transmitter either. And all my YouTube videos clearly show me just putzing my planes around.

I don't know what I was thinking when I shared my experiences with the DX8 lipo.
Sorry to dredge up an old post... but... how did I miss this?? I almost spit my morning coffee on my keyboard. Really funny...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Quick question: other than batteries, what replacement parts should I stock up on along with my order?

Also: I'm assuming the connector is the same as the Beast/UM Stryker? If not I'll need to pick up yet another parallel charge cable...
Only thing I have replaced in 72 flights is the OEM A gear. It was still working but showing signs of wear at 45 flights and I had a metal one on hand.

Some seem to be replacing the C and D gears very often but either they are flying a lot harder than me,crashing or just can not get the setup right IMO.

Yes the connector is the same as other 2S micros.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,070 Posts
I have got to get more batteries for this thing. Not sure what to get yet. I flew this evening and every flight is getting better. It is the easiest bird I have ever owned to nose in hover.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I have got to get more batteries for this thing. Not sure what to get yet. I flew this evening and every flight is getting better. It is the easiest bird I have ever owned to nose in hover.
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2S300-35-L

Much better than stock batteries
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,850 Posts
Great price these batteries at $12.99 as here in Australia the Eflite battery is $25. Tried to order 5 but no stock.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Great price these batteries at $12.99 as here in Australia the Eflite battery is $25. Tried to order 5 but no stock.
Backorder, stock comes in about once a week. Nice batteries too. I have 3 for my 130 and rarely use the stock pack.

These are 20c compared to 35c stock and 35c Lectron
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=77P-SL350

These are also pretty cheap, I have had good experience with SkyLipo but have never tried these packs yet. So I can't give you any information on them.

But for those batteries you will have to change the 130x female stock connector over to a female JST, and the stock charger will not work.

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=776210
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Last edited by anthony7820; Aug 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony7820 View Post

These are 20c compared to 35c stock and 35c Lectron
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=77P-SL350

These are also pretty cheap, I have had good experience with SkyLipo but have never tried these packs yet. So I can't give you any information on them.

But for those batteries you will have to change the 130x female stock connector over to a female JST, and the stock charger will not work.

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=776210
Or you could change the battery's JST over to the UMX connector and wire in the center tap from the balance tap to the middle position on the UMX connector. Then any charger will work, including the stock one. And, it's not only the stock charger that won't charge without proper wiring. I have a TP610 charger that will not charge a multi-S battery without a balance tap.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,850 Posts
Ok I have found an adapter that is UMX to JST on RC-Connectors.com, so I haved placed an order plus 4 nano- tech 2s 370 mAH lipo batteries. These should keep me flying and the LHS here in Sydney can keep their over priced $25 genuine Eflite 130x batteries on the shelf. Thanks for your help and information guys.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member