HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:52 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Yes that happens for while. Mix it up. Won't be long before you are flying inverted circuits. Flying up and down a straight line like a runway with a 180 banked turn at each end has been working for me. I aim to maintain the same altitude and speed through the entire circuit both inverted and upright.
Yes I crash a lot but it is the simulator. And yes the skills rapidly transfer to flying the model at the field.
At first I was doing nothing but inverted flying on the sim and then I realized my mistake! I has gotten very comfortable flying inverted but then when I tried to fly upright I started making stupid mistakes!

So I changed my practice habits to switch back and forth between upright and inverted and now things are going well. I'm now doing flips and rolls both upright and inverted and I'm able to switch between the two on the fly. Pretty cool.

I'll be back home late this morning and hope to give my repaired (or new?) 130x a spin to see if my sim time has truly paid of.

I'll shoot some video.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

I'll shoot some video.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

I've been happy with my progress to date. It went relatively smoothly changing from flying mode 2, as I did 20 years ago, to mode 1 and it only took about 40 flights to be comfortable flying fast forward flight with loops, rolls, and 540 degree stall turns, and even a little nose in hovering for good measure. I've been starting to sneak up on inverted a bit by lengthen my loops while inverted but I know I won't make much progress until I get a sim, which will be soon. I don't know if I'll get into hardcore 3d but would like to do everything I do now inverted.

I am going to be on vacation next week at a cottage on Lake Michigan and will be flying the 130X over the beach. I'd get some video but most here like the hardcore 3d stuff and my flights will be fff big sky stuff which will be boring to most. Still fun for me though.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Attachment 5071803
My wife just texted me this picture to let me know that my 130x and my 51" Slick just arrived. And apparently little Lucy is protecting them for me until I get back home.

Should be able to fly it tomorrow afternoon!
Turnerm,

Great news! Looking forward to some more 130X videos. Still having a blast with mine. I'm finally getting comfortable with flips, rolls, and loops - but I have yet to try inverted hovering. (Gotta get that right on the sim first.)

Aside from upgrading the tailcase bearings, mine is still all-original. However, the board has developed a drift to port that I can't seem to solve. A few clicks of aileron trim takes care of it temporarily - but of course the problem returns the next time the bird is powered-up. It's a bit of a pain in the rear, but it works a long as I remember to dump the trim before power-up. Got the message that my metal A-gear shipped. Guess I'll install it right away, even though the plastic one is still in good shape. I'm also starting to see a bit of play between the B-gear & the TT, so I might as well fix that while I'm at it.

Now that I have a handful of TP 325 Babblebatts, I can put in some serious stick-time on this bird!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I'd get some video but most here like the hardcore 3d stuff and my flights will be fff big sky stuff which will be boring to most. Still fun for me though.
I prefer your style of flying as that is what I like to do too. All the 3D stuff looks the same to me and is really redundant after a while. I'll watch your video!
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I'd get some video but most here like the hardcore 3d stuff and my flights will be fff big sky stuff which will be boring to most. Still fun for me though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I prefer your style of flying as that is what I like to do too. All the 3D stuff looks the same to me and is really redundant after a while. I'll watch your video!
+2! I also enjoy watching smooth, big-sky flying - helis & fixed-wing. It has always been my preferred fixed-wing flying style, so I naturally gravitated in that direction when I learned to fly helis.

Let's see some vids!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,211 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll have my son take some video next week and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Now to get the Boca's installed in the tail rotor.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Just got home (if you're traveling along the east coast today pack some patience... good lord!) and looked at what they did to my heli. The didn't replace it but they seem to take some great care in repairing the items that needed repairing and they didn't charge me a dime.

This is the service I expected from HH so I'm a happy camper. I'm gonna shower up and then do some flying. Then I'm gonna start building my 51" Slick. Too many toys and not enough time!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Yes that happens for while. Mix it up. Won't be long before you are flying inverted circuits. Flying up and down a straight line like a runway with a 180 banked turn at each end has been working for me. I aim to maintain the same altitude and speed through the entire circuit both inverted and upright.
Yes I crash a lot but it is the simulator. And yes the skills rapidly transfer to flying the model at the field.
Just having enough control to go up and down a runway inverted would be a huge advance for me..lol

Quote:
At first I was doing nothing but inverted flying on the sim and then I realized my mistake! I has gotten very comfortable flying inverted but then when I tried to fly upright I started making stupid mistakes!

So I changed my practice habits to switch back and forth between upright and inverted and now things are going well. I'm now doing flips and rolls both upright and inverted and I'm able to switch between the two on the fly. Pretty cool.

I'll be back home late this morning and hope to give my repaired (or new?) 130x a spin to see if my sim time has truly paid of.

I'll shoot some video.
I remeber when I was learning to hover nose in upright, when I would flip around to tail in I would usually make at least 3 incorrect corrections before my brain got it all figured out..lol
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Well sadly enough they did NOT fix my helicopter. The tail still blows out when trying to do a simple flip and it's loud as hell sometimes and then "settles" to a normal noise level.

Sigh... I'm highly frustrated right now. Frustrated to the point that I'm likely just going to send it back and ask for a refund.

Off to build my 51" Slick.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
At what point do you guys replace your rotor blades (physical condition)? My 130X blades are a little knocked up and the ends are slightly rounded but, it flies well.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Well sadly enough they did NOT fix my helicopter. The tail still blows out when trying to do a simple flip and it's loud as hell sometimes and then "settles" to a normal noise level.

Sigh... I'm highly frustrated right now. Frustrated to the point that I'm likely just going to send it back and ask for a refund.

That's sad! You were progressing so nicely. Mine started blowing out on simple flips and the pitch slider bearing was shot. A new pitch slider fixed it right up.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
At what point do you guys replace your rotor blades (physical condition)? My 130X blades are a little knocked up and the ends are slightly rounded but, it flies well.
Physical damage that results in out of balance or poorly flying heli would warrant new blades. Personally I've never replaced any. Only my mCP X blades have touched the ground. Other than grass stains nothing has happened to them.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I'd like to know too. This thing will fly really well with really messed up blades. Even though it flies well, at some point it can't be good.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Quote:

Check the little anti-rotation ball on the tail assembly. I had the exact same problem with the tail blowing out and I went over the tail a couple of times and noticed that the little anti-rotation ball had broken off. So I disassembled the part and took a 1/16 drill bit and drilled the plastic by hand until I got up to the bearing, then glued in a piece of small music wire. TADA!!, no more slop in the tail, actually it was a lot better than before.

Also did some dampening with half mcpx grommets, pictures attached. Hopefully this helps, I hate seeing people not being able to fly.
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'd like to know too. This thing will fly really well with really messed up blades. Even though it flies well, at some point it can't be good.
Mine are all scratched up from blade scraping the sidewalk. They actually make some weird sounds when I flip(that they haven't before). It flies fine and the blades track perfectly, so I'm not to worried about it
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820