HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Oh yeah, and my "posh git" (as someone would say ) lipo for my DX8 gets here tomorrow. Looking for some serious run times with that thing. The stock battery is rather...weak...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Oh yeah, and my "posh git" (as someone would say ) lipo for my DX8 gets here tomorrow. Looking for some serious run times with that thing. The stock battery is rather...weak...
I fly a good bit and I can seriously go 2 months without charging my DX8 now that I'm using the lipo...
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I fly a good bit and I can seriously go 2 months without charging my DX8 now that I'm using the lipo...
Good...that's what I wanted to hear...especially at the price they charge. They sure are proud of that little 2S lipo.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,909 Posts
2months without charging your radio really? either you dont fly hardly at all or you're looking for a crash.
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
2months without charging your radio really? either you dont fly hardly at all or you're looking for a crash.
You're right. I'm just an idiot.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
Um, it's a 4000mAh lipo that's twice the capacity of the stock Ni-MH pack. And, yes, it's quite possible to fly several times a week and only need to charge your TX every other month or so. I did it all the time with my DX7 running a pack made from Sanyo Eneloops. As with lipos, they don't self-discharge like nicads and other Ni-Mh packs do from just "sitting there".
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Now you see why he's on my ignore list. I shouldn't have clicked on the "view post", but I wanted to see what train wreck had to say...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Now you see why he's on my ignore list. I shouldn't have clicked on the "view post", but I wanted to see what train wreck had to say...
Some people... I fly like a fairy and I'm just trying to crash. And I can't understand the voltage display on my transmitter either. And all my YouTube videos clearly show me just putzing my planes around.

I don't know what I was thinking when I shared my experiences with the DX8 lipo.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Some people... I fly like a fairy and I'm just trying to crash. And I can't understand the voltage display on my transmitter either. And all my YouTube videos clearly show me just putzing my planes around.

I don't know what I was thinking when I shared my experiences with the DX8 lipo.
LOL. He's from CT, too. I used to live there, so I know the "type". Glad I finally escaped out west from behind those ultra idiotic/libtard enemy lines.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Posh Git!

Quote:

Yer gonna love it ya Posh Git!

My DX7 would only last a few hours!

Now, days and days without budging!

I literally want to charge it in a superfluous manner even though it doesn't need it!

Speaking of "Posh Git" my back light came for my 7.

Surgery time!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Yer gonna love it ya Posh Git!

My DX7 would only last a few hours!
Wow, that's pretty bad. I went with the Eneloops early on in my DX7. I didn't "trust" it with a lipo pack since it wasn't designed with one in mind, unlike the DX8, and there were some power regulation/voltage issues if you didn't solder a diode in-line with the battery. The DX8 has a menu setting where you actually select "lipo", so it auto-corrects for voltage and whatnot. Plus, the DX7 doesn't have an "inactivity alarm" and I know I'd accidentally leave my TX on at some point and destroy the lipo. The DX8 alarms (could wake the dead) after 10 minutes of complete inactivity with no input at all. Also, the lipo can be charged in the TX with the stock charger, it auto balances and has a low voltage cutoff all built in. DX7 had none of that...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's pretty bad. I went with the Eneloops early on in my DX7. I didn't "trust" it with a lipo pack since it wasn't designed with one in mind, unlike the DX8, and there were some power regulation/voltage issues if you didn't solder a diode in-line with the battery. The DX8 has a menu setting where you actually select "lipo", so it auto-corrects for voltage and whatnot. Plus, the DX7 doesn't have an "inactivity alarm" and I know I'd accidentally leave my TX on at some point and destroy the lipo. The DX8 alarms (could wake the dead) after 10 minutes of complete inactivity with no input at all. Also, the lipo can be charged in the TX with the stock charger, it auto balances and has a low voltage cutoff all built in. DX7 had none of that...
The A123 packs have been available for years, I have used them for a couple years now. They run at a proper voltage for any radio that would use an 8 cell NiCd pack. They deliver good power for a long time... I've gone months without charging it. You do have to remove it to charge but it's never taken more than an hour to charge.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The A123 packs have been available for years, I have used them for a couple years now. They run at a proper voltage for any radio that would use an 8 cell NiCd pack. They deliver good power for a long time... I've gone months without charging it. You do have to remove it to charge but it's never taken more than an hour to charge.
Stock DX8 battery is a 4 cell Ni-MH pack. And, according to someone else here, you must also (along with turnerm) hardly fly and/or are looking for a crash.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Quote:
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Stock DX8 battery is a 4 cell Ni-MH pack. And, according to someone else here, you must also (along with turnerm) hardly fly and/or are looking for a crash.
I was mentioning it because you seemed interested in what to do for a "classic" DX7. And, I almost never crash and have never had a transmitter failure.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501